DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS Jamming trial UK

old man mavic

Premium Pilot
Reactions
a jamming trial will be taking place at RAF Spadeadam between 17-28th May 2021 and could affect GNSS equipment within a radius of 30NM and it also says that it may impact on electronic situational awareness devices within a radius of 14NM including 2.4and 5.8 GHz

Not that it will affect me, but I should think that would be a big deal in that area. It surprising the number of people who rely on GPS in their vocation
Regards

Not that it will affect me, but I should think that would be a big deal in that area. It surprising the number of people who rely on GPS in their vocation
Regards
Not just in their vocation, but there are always reports from the UK about people driving into ditches and off of piers because they just follow their satnav directions without question.

Reactions: Gagey52
Not just in their vocation, but there are always reports from the UK about people driving into ditches and off of piers because they just follow their satnav directions without question.
Just like there are always reports about people in the USA putting their cars / Teslas into cruise control / Autopilot and then being surprised when they crash?

A GPS jamming trial sounds like a good idea in principle.

Isn't there something in the GPS system that shuts the whole thing down if an object is detected moving at 1000s mph (i.e. an intercontinental ballistic missle)?

Anyway, in the UK I think we are too reliant on GPS. I hope Galileo proves to be a worthwhile alternative.

Just like there are always reports about people in the USA putting their cars / Teslas into cruise control / Autopilot and then being surprised when they crash?

A GPS jamming trial sounds like a good idea in principle.

Isn't there something in the GPS system that shuts the whole thing down if an object is detected moving at 1000s mph (i.e. an intercontinental ballistic missle)?

Anyway, in the UK I think we are too reliant on GPS. I hope Galileo proves to be a worthwhile alternative.

They're not rare in the UK. In the last 2 months there've been trials at Sennybridge/SENTA, Spadeadam and Salisbury.
Most training exercises now involve an element of local or longer range GPS jamming.

As long as you're signed up to CAA Skywise and/or check NOTAMs before flight (which everyone is supposed to do) they're all well publicised.

And nope, there's nothing to detect a fast moving object and shut GPS down. To start with its passive - its radio receivers connected to a clock. "GPS" has no way of knowing.

Galileo also has all the restrictions of the US based GPS network in terms of disabling as well.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78