DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS locators

I use Samsung Smartthings tracker on mavic air. Under $100.00 at Best Buy includes 1st yr service then $50.00 a yr following yrs but only good in U.S. I think.View attachment 62310

That spot that you have that tracker mounted...... did you notice any interference at all? It’s approximately where I have mounted mine but haven’t field tested it yet. I’ve heard some say that the weight of the tracker is bad for the drone but I think if anything it would be minuscule. I was ridiculed on a Facebook post for having put a tracker on my Mavic2, they said it was too much weight and I wasted my money but the way I see it I’ve got peace of mind. Also I asked if Mavic2 has the same motors as the Enterprise.... Isn’t an Enterprise a Mavic2???? Look at the weight that thing is toting with the accessories (speaker,spotlight... etc) I can’t see a tracking tag making any difference at all really.

That spot that you have that tracker mounted...... did you notice any interference at all? It’s approximately where I have mounted mine but haven’t field tested it yet. I’ve heard some say that the weight of the tracker is bad for the drone but I think if anything it would be minuscule. I was ridiculed on a Facebook post for having put a tracker on my Mavic2, they said it was too much weight and I wasted my money but the way I see it I’ve got peace of mind. Also I asked if Mavic2 has the same motors as the Enterprise.... Isn’t an Enterprise a Mavic2???? Look at the weight that thing is toting with the accessories (speaker,spotlight... etc) I can’t see a tracking tag making any difference at all really.
no interference mounted on top and it weighs 23 grams I think. The prop guards for mavic air weigh as much and I dont use them and this tracker uses the lte wireless network so wont become obsolete anytime soon. what tracker do you use

With the ping cell service a must, I am in country, I could track bird everywhere while it was in the air so I felt comfortable, the one time I crash it wouldn't receive signal, was no help.View attachment 62320
U.S. doesnt have much 3g coverage so I decided on the samsung smartthings that uses 4g-lte. Are you in the U.S.?

I considered this but didn’t want the extra monthly fee, I did opt for the Marco Polo even though it does cost more up front there are no additional fees and has a pretty good range of about 2 miles.

I find it has a mile range in hilly terrain with brush, rocks, etc. It definitely has a 2-mile range in the flats. In a urban setting, it probably will work up to a mile, or less if there are tall buildings. Still, it’s pretty good!

$6 a month for the Whistle cellular tracker doing double duty on my dog. I printed the red bracket that snaps on the battery buttons. The rechargeable trackers are approx $60 to buy. 20181203_222533.jpg

I've been reviewing this thing a lot and many of the reviews say and shows your location a block or two away 10 mi away the SmartThings GPS is the first LTE GPS and from what I'm getting from reviews it's not that great.

I've been reviewing this thing a lot and many of the reviews say and shows your location a block or two away 10 mi away the SmartThings GPS is the first LTE GPS and from what I'm getting from reviews it's not that great.
What's super stupid as you can buy it cheaper on Verizon wireless for $79 but you have to activate it through AT&t

I have had it about 3 weeks and it is highly accurate. I have had someone take it with them and I was able to find the parked car at taco bell. satellite view showed the car exactly where it was. If left in the same location indoors updating every 10 minutes it will show 1 location that is off by 150' in 24 hrs. all other locations are within 30' of actual location. every test I have done outdoors shows it's true location. My only gripe is the app doesnt show your phones location on the map

I have had it about 3 weeks and it is highly accurate. I have had someone take it with them and I was able to find the parked car at taco bell. satellite view showed the car exactly where it was. If left in the same location indoors updating every 10 minutes it will show 1 location that is off by 150' in 24 hrs. all other locations are within 30' of actual location. every test I have done outdoors shows it's true location. My only gripe is the app doesnt show your phones location on the map
Thank you maybe this will sway my thoughts. The only good news I've seen on this are the commercials themselves. Find your kid strap it on your dog never lose your keys. But the YouTube thing is a different story so I'm glad you've had success with it and I'm getting frustrated with the GMS type devices. And I wonder why bother and I know why I bother because the find your drone app only shows you the last known location. So depending on how high you are. But there is always the wind speed and the drift of the Earth and where the Moon is and the angle of the dangle you may never find it. I personally have not had an issue my mavic pro is super awesome and always comes back home but I do read the issues other people have and I can imagine how something can go wrong and I don't want to rely on somebody finding it besides me.

Thank you maybe this will sway my thoughts. The only good news I've seen on this are the commercials themselves. Find your kid strap it on your dog never lose your keys. But the YouTube thing is a different story so I'm glad you've had success with it and I'm getting frustrated with the GMS type devices. And I wonder why bother and I know why I bother because the find your drone app only shows you the last known location. So depending on how high you are. But there is always the wind speed and the drift of the Earth and where the Moon is and the angle of the dangle you may never find it. I personally have not had an issue my mavic pro is super awesome and always comes back home but I do read the issues other people have and I can imagine how something can go wrong and I don't want to rely on somebody finding it besides me.

I have had one close call with my spark when it claimed interference and blew with the wind, but havent flown it but a few times since getting mavic air.
where are the people using the smartthings tracker getting bad results? I live in the city but ten miles from any tall buildings if that makes any difference. I just know I feel much better about flying in 10-15 mph winds or more than a mile away. I will let everyone know if I experience any issues but so far I recommend this device.

I have had one close call with my spark when it claimed interference and blew with the wind, but havent flown it but a few times since getting mavic air.
where are the people using the smartthings tracker getting bad results? I live in the city but ten miles from any tall buildings if that makes any difference. I just know I feel much better about flying in 10-15 mph winds or more than a mile away. I will let everyone know if I experience any issues but so far I recommend this device.
I just read the reviews probably on Amazon I'm not sure. I wouldn't mind paying the money if it was truly accurate.

Where did you mount it?
I put my standard Marco Polo tag on velcro I put on all my batteries- I sometimes mount a camera on my drone in front, and did not want to mount anything else above the GPS antenna. Its smaller and lighter than the ‘advanced’ model with the same electronics, only difference is the antena is a plain wire and the board is just wrapped with open ended shrink tubing, so its not waterproof like the advanced tags.

I put my standard Marco Polo tag on velcro I put on all my batteries- I sometimes mount a camera on my drone in front, and did not want to mount anything else above the GPS antenna. Its smaller and lighter than the ‘advanced’ model with the same electronics, only difference is the antena is a plain wire and the board is just wrapped with open ended shrink tubing, so its not waterproof like the advanced tags.
So in the top then?

I always worry about radio interference but I guess they have that worked out.

So in the top then?

I always worry about radio interference but I guess they have that worked out.

It doesnt affect it - even though the frequency of the tag’s transmitter is in the 900MHz bandwidth, it does not get activated unless you are actually trying to locate it - orherwise it is in receiving mode listening for the activation signal from the tracker. Here’s a good article explaining a bit more about it:

MARCO POLO TRACKING SYSTEM - The Drones Mag

Reactions: TedShred
I’ve heard some say that the weight of the tracker is bad for the drone but I think if anything it would be minuscule.

The weight of most (if not all) trackers is a pimple on the south side of a north bound elephant.

I prefer the Marco Polo tracker with mount from @Aerial-Pixel. Here is why. I spent a lot of money on my M2P and I want it to go home with me every time I go flying. I don’t want to get into monthly fees, I want a tracker that has a long detection range. I don’t want to go flying in a marginal/no cellular reception area and have “Murphy” raise his ugly head.
34E92017-C893-45CF-B8BE-E97A4CE83447.pngN

Reactions: TedShred
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swaggyC