DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS lock.... from high-rise... after take off?

One other point just came to mind, height.
Remember all height settings in the App are relative to the motor start or launch site, I can never remember which.
So an RTH height of 100m would be relative to the your hand on the 10th floor balcony and probably more than 130m AGL and probably illegal. Ditto the maximum height which must be at least RTH height.
Doesn't matter that it is more than 120m AGL for a micro drone. Those rules only apply in the USA. Just like pilots here don't need Part 107 to shoot for profit...

Reactions: anotherlab
Okay, I possibly stand corrected, if you can link me to TC's specific rules for operating sub 250 gram drones in Canada. What I read recently is somewhat mute on those rules, but very specific about not requiring to be licensed in Canada.
Sorry, but that is your job to figure out. No matter what I write here, there will be someone who will contest it, link or no link. Best you research it yourself and you will probably want to ditch that drone you have and get a Mini 3 pro instead.

Sorry, it wasn't clear that "practiced from the ground" was directly related to flying right beside the building where he wanted to take off from the 10th floor. I assumed it was at some further way location.

If they can fly from the ground then why take all of the risks of launching from a covered balcony?

At least that's the way I think.
No problem. I believe that for many people that live in condo towers, it takes such an inordinate amount of time to setup for a shot that may dissipate quickly. Hence wanting to launch from his balcony.

Last edited:
OP is going to have a terrible time unless he gets really good on the sticks in atti mode. That is the mode I would use for balcony takeoffs/landings to eliminate sensor errors. That, in and of itself, will take a lot of practice. Let alone hand catching.
That would not be a good mode. Usually from condo towers [and I have much experience with that with friends who live in them] you can get fairly good GPS. It just takes longer and home point activates after several minutes. There is too much to explain in an email, but it is not as bad as folks are making out.

Last edited:
I too fly off a balcony. And yes, when I was new at flying, I had a couple close calls where I hit the sides of the railing or the wall in the balcony with the blades. Had to replace the blades a few times. I've since taught myself how to land on the balcony and what behavior I should expect from the drone, especially if it is windy and a draft is circling around the balcony.

I once tried launching my drone from the balcony and then landing it on a ground location to establish a safe RTH and landing spot. I would then retrieve the drone from that spot after my flight. BUT GUESS WHAT HAPPENED! I landed my drone on that spot and I got a COMPASS ERROR- RECALIBRATE- CANNOT TAKE OFF message.

Lesson? Do not land a drone in a safe RTH location, unless you are absolutely sure the compass won't be affected after it lands AND be absolutely sure your RTH landing spot is easily accessible. If not, and your drone can't take off, you might not be getting it back.

You might not be able to take off after you reestablish a new RTH landing location.

Good afternoon to all-
Without getting into the whys and why nots of launching and retrieving a drone from a balcony- I have done this very thing- halfway successfully.
First, I hand held the drone- a Mini 2- out over the rail and it launched perfectly. Flew well and I brought it back to the balcony safely. But then... the second the drone came under the roof of the balcony to land, I lost all control and the drone crashed into a balcony decoration which served to cushion the impact and prevent any damage.
There is no predicting how a specific building will affect a drone, but I think it is safe to say that flying drones from balconies is one of those things in life that sounds really cool, but in reality is a lot harder and more hazardous than first thought.
Just my experiences here...
you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Doesn't matter that it is more than 120m AGL for a micro drone. Those rules only apply in the USA. Just like pilots here don't need Part 107 to shoot for profit...
I did a quick search and came across this Transport Canada webpage, https://tc.canada.ca/sites/default/files/2020-06/2019-2020-AA-33_INFOGRAPHIC_EN_V8.pdf
I am aware that the 122m advice on that page comes under "should" and not "must".
By the way the 400ft/122m rule applies in other countries as well as USA.

I too fly off a balcony. And yes, when I was new at flying, I had a couple close calls where I hit the sides of the railing or the wall in the balcony with the blades. Had to replace the blades a few times. I've since taught myself how to land on the balcony and what behavior I should expect from the drone, especially if it is windy and a draft is circling around the balcony.

I once tried launching my drone from the balcony and then landing it on a ground location to establish a safe RTH and landing spot. I would then retrieve the drone from that spot after my flight. BUT GUESS WHAT HAPPENED! I landed my drone on that spot and I got a COMPASS ERROR- RECALIBRATE- CANNOT TAKE OFF message.

Lesson? Do not land a drone in a safe RTH location, unless you are absolutely sure the compass won't be affected after it lands AND be absolutely sure your RTH landing spot is easily accessible. If not, and your drone can't take off, you might not be getting it back.

You might not be able to take off after you reestablish a new RTH landing location.
Good point. There are many variables involved, and each scenario unique.

Good afternoon to all-
Without getting into the whys and why nots of launching and retrieving a drone from a balcony- I have done this very thing- halfway successfully.
First, I hand held the drone- a Mini 2- out over the rail and it launched perfectly. Flew well and I brought it back to the balcony safely. But then... the second the drone came under the roof of the balcony to land, I lost all control and the drone crashed into a balcony decoration which served to cushion the impact and prevent any damage.
There is no predicting how a specific building will affect a drone, but I think it is safe to say that flying drones from balconies is one of those things in life that sounds really cool, but in reality is a lot harder and more hazardous than first thought.
Just my experiences here...
you all be safe and keep well- Ed
Nice share. There are many things to consider.

Sorry, but that is your job to figure out. No matter what I write here, there will be someone who will contest it, link or no link. Best you research it yourself and you will probably want to ditch that drone you have and get a Mini 3 pro instead.
Well your reply confirms that at this point I do not stand corrected. I guess if something is persistently stated without proof, it is still true.

Have a good day and enjoy your drone, but I will stick with my M2P as I have thousands of rural acres within a 15 minute drive.

Well your reply confirms that at this point I do not stand corrected. I guess if something is persistently stated without proof, it is still true.

Have a good day and enjoy your drone, but I will stick with my M2P as I have thousands of rural acres within a 15 minute drive.
Just because you don't want to expend the energy to find out for yourself, doesn't mean I'm incorrect.
You have a good day yourself and keep safe.

That would not be a good mode. Usually from condo towers [and I have much experience with that with friends who live in them] you can get fairly good GPS. It just takes longer and home point activates after several minutes. There is too much to explain in an email, but it is not as bad as folks are making out.
I have a hell of a lot of experience on the sticks. Absolutely the best mode to avoid sensor errors.

Precisely why I would put it in atti mode. Don’t want it going in and out of atti mode.
You cannot switch a DJi Mini or most other recent DJI drones to atti mode.
Your drone will be in atti mode if it doesn't have GPS or VPS to hold position.

Reactions: Dronecation
Ah, see- well spotted...many folks miss that distinction between should and must.
I
Nice share. There are many things to consider.
I have done it successfully for years now and on many different balconies. I always take off and land on the balconies floors. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU MUST DO IS TO DISABLE YOUR OBSTACLE SENSORS!!! IT IS A MUST DO.

I switch to sport mode when taking off and landing. Sport disables the obstacle sensors. If you don't disable them, once the drone enters a small balcony, it is going to see obstacles everywhere and try avoiding them. The drone will appear to be flying erratically, when it's just trying to avoid what is too close to it.

So, I have no issue with control when the sensors are disabled. Sport mode is the easiest way to disable the sensors once the drone gets within about 20 ft of the balcony. Then it's all about a simple manual landing.

At my home, just to make things easier, I made a 3ft x 3ft gang plank sticking out from my balcony's railing. I let the drone takeoff and land on that. I'm using an enterprise RTK assisted drone, so the plank is big enough for my drone not to miss the 3 x 3 ft zone. Even at night.

I

I have done it successfully for years now and on many different balconies. I always take off and land on the balconies floors. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU MUST DO IS TO DISABLE YOUR OBSTACLE SENSORS!!! IT IS A MUST DO.

I switch to sport mode when taking off and landing. Sport disables the obstacle sensors. If you don't disable them, once the drone enters a small balcony, it is going to see obstacles everywhere and try avoiding them. The drone will appear to be flying erratically, when it's just trying to avoid what is too close to it.

So, I have no issue with control when the sensors are disabled. Sport mode is the easiest way to disable the sensors once the drone gets within about 20 ft of the balcony. Then it's all about a simple manual landing.

At my home, just to make things easier, I made a 3ft x 3ft gang plank sticking out from my balcony's railing. I let the drone takeoff and land on that. I'm using an enterprise RTK assisted drone, so the plank is big enough for my drone not to miss the 3 x 3 ft zone. Even at night.
More good advise. I have turned off my obstacle sensors not only for that reason, but for the majority of the time, because I don't need them. I find them more a hinderance. Planking it is also a great option.

I have a hell of a lot of experience on the sticks. Absolutely the best mode to avoid sensor errors.
That's a great asset to have and use. But considering the circumstances involved in this guys particular case, it wouldn't be practical unless he knows someone with a Phantom.

Reactions: anotherlab
You cannot switch a DJi Mini or most other recent DJI drones to atti mode.
Your drone will be in atti mode if it doesn't have GPS or VPS to hold position.
Sorry, Phantom flyer only. Have not tried any of the foldy wingy thingies yet. Waiting for RID to shake out.

I made a 3ft x 3ft gang plank sticking out from my balcony's railing.

I like the way you think. 👍

Much like the trays that would hang off your car door / window at the car hop restaurants back in the day.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent