DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS Signal when flying in Restricted Zone

WWB586

Reactions
Hi Everyone,
I'm now to the forum, but have been flying my Mavic Pro for a few years now. I recently opened a business in a warehouse that is right next to our local airport, so I cannot take off. I went through the unlocking request on the DJI site so that I could get some overhead shots of the renovation of our (indoor ONLY) space. My request was approved, but because my business is in a metal warehouse, I have poor GPS signal. I can put my drone outside and take off, but as soon as I fly it though a door, it loses GPS and force lands. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get my drone in the air long enough to get the video and photos I need? I find it unbelievable that the unlocking request doesn't carry over to ATTI or OPTI modes once I have taken off in my unlocked zone.

These particular drones are designed/built to fly with GPS...which means they become unpredictable when no GPS signal is present. Nothing is going to change that (short of a different drone that doesn't require/use GPS).

Reactions: Thomas B
Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.
Go through all your settings even if the name seems wrong.

These particular drones are designed/built to fly with GPS...which means they become unpredictable when no GPS signal is present. Nothing is going to change that (short of a different drone that doesn't require/use GPS).
I understand that they might become unpredictable when GPS is lost, but with that said, if I take off in the unlocked zone, fly 5 feet into my building, regardless of the mode, the drone should still "know" that it is in the unlocked zone. No? If I wasn't in a NFZ, I would be able to fly indoors without the GPS.

Have you tried to take off indoors without GPS lock..? If already in either ATTI or OPTI the AC doesn't know anything about a NFZ.

Reactions: Barbara and WWB586
Have you tried to take off indoors without GPS lock..? If already in either ATTI or OPTI the AC doesn't know anything about a NFZ.
I wasn't aware that the Mavic has the ability to turn off GPS and be manually forced into ATTI mode. If I power up the drone inside without GPS lock, it still knows that I am in a NFZ. Likely due to my phone and the DJI App? I'll try to throw my phone into Airplane mode and see if I can work the problem that way! Thanks!

You nailed it! Thank you for the tip. Turned off location services on my phone, put it in Airplane mode, and took off! Thanks again for the help!

Reactions: Barbara and slup

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User