DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS spoofing, how does it work and are the apparent coordinates in anyway related to the true location?

Yorkshire_Pud

Reactions
I ask because I happened to open some of the early logs ( DATs ) recorded on the goggles of my, from memory, "little used" second hand FPV.
True enough, in terms of the number of logs, it seems as if it was little used but in terms of location it has been globe trotting including far out into two oceans. In addition the DAT of at least one flight seems to indicate a battery that I did not receive so the original owner may have had more than one drone.

I ask because I happened to open some of the early logs ( DATs ) recorded on the goggles of my, from memory, "little used" second hand FPV.
True enough, in terms of the number of logs, it seems as if it was little used but in terms of location it has been globe trotting including far out into two oceans. In addition the DAT of at least one flight seems to indicate a battery that I did not receive so the original owner may have had more than one drone.
"far out into two oceans"
If the .DAT is recorded when there are no GPS satellites the GPS coordinates will be (0,0). That's in the middle of the ocean to the west of Africa.

Last edited:
Reactions: mavictk
They are not mine so I'd rather not if you don't mind but thanks all the same.
The FPV .DAT has the record type gps_hw_status you might find interesting
1722877773486.png

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
They are not mine so I'd rather not if you don't mind but thanks all the same.

I understand your caution. For a different perspective IMO the data became your property when you bought the drone, and you can ethically do whatever you'd like with it.

Further, as it's anonymous there's no possibility of compromising the previous owner, and there's no risk of authorities making anything out of impossible flight data.

Regardless, if you don't want to share it I respect that.

I'm a bit miffed, I am sure that quite a while ago I saw some logs that showed it whizzing around England somewhere but I can't find them, grrrrr, ho hum.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeoffreyBH