DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gradient ND Filters

Flipsonic

Reactions
Want to try gradient ND filters for my MA. Does anyone have hands on experience using them? Do you find them useful? Anything negative I need to know before I buy?

Want to try gradient ND filters for my MA. Does anyone have hands on experience using them? Do you find them useful? Anything negative I need to know before I buy?
I have tons of experience with gradient filters on my DSLR but zero experience on a drone. Didn't realize they even make gradient ND filters for a drone. If so, I'd absolutely be certain of your orientation on the lens! Just a few degrees off and the picture is off. You cannot adjust through the lens like on a SLR. Try to monitor the filter orientation while holding the drone on the ground before taking off. The orientation should be horizontal. Do the filters have marker? If not, can you put a dot at 9:00 and 3:00 for alignment?

Reactions: Thomas B
Yes Polar Pro makes gradient ND filters for the MA. There are markers that will indicate the horizon line. I’ve watched a few vids on this but just wanted actual hands on experience from people who have used them. From what I’ve learned, they are good if the shots are 50/50 horizon and ground since anything above the horizon are usually over exposed during a sunny day. So I guess i shouldn’t pan the gimbal down while they are on. I would use them only for horizon shots.

I have tons of experience with gradient filters on my DSLR but zero experience on a drone. Didn't realize they even make gradient ND filters for a drone. If so, I'd absolutely be certain of your orientation on the lens! Just a few degrees off and the picture is off. You cannot adjust through the lens like on a SLR. Try to monitor the filter orientation while holding the drone on the ground before taking off. The orientation should be horizontal. Do the filters have marker? If not, can you put a dot at 9:00 and 3:00 for alignment?
I believe the OP asked about gradient ND Filters, not polarized filters. I have Freewell gradient ND filters and orientation to the sun is not an issue unless you are trying to ensure the sunward exposure exposure is what you specifically are adjusting for.

i have just bought some 4 8 and 16 and i was having tons of problems trying to get the little lens cover off the camera for starters after several tries i thought to myself any minute gimbal could break etc.. did a little research and someone suggested an elastic band i came to try this and bingo it did free it easily, so i have now added the filters to the camera but as yet not even flown my drone yet too wet recently, but i will update if i find usefull or not, i'm pretty sure it will make some difference because i am also going to be shooting in manual mode rather than auto.

I believe the OP asked about gradient ND Filters, not polarized filters. I have Freewell gradient ND filters and orientation to the sun is not an issue unless you are trying to ensure the sunward exposure exposure is what you specifically are adjusting for.
Surely you still need to make sure the gradient of the ND filter is aligned correctly? Makes sense to me that you would.

Yes. The filter is marked. I believe the OP specified orientation to dispell some confusion between split-grads and polarizers.

He was simply saying the filter effect is not change by the heading of your light source, like it is with a polarizer.

I've got a Freewell split-grad I rarely take off, but that fits my photographic style.

Yes. The filter is marked. I believe the OP specified orientation to dispell some confusion between split-grads and polarizers.

He was simply saying the filter effect is not change by the heading of your light source, like it is with a polarizer.

I've got a Freewell split-grad I rarely take off, but that fits my photographic style.
Exactly what I didn't communicate clearly....my variable ND filter turns to the ND setting you want (numbers on the face to see) to optimize the video shutter speed and FPS, as opposed to adjusting a polarizer with respect to the direction of the sun.

Exactly what I didn't communicate clearly....my variable ND filter turns to the ND setting you want (numbers on the face to see) to optimize the video shutter speed and FPS, as opposed to adjusting a polarizer with respect to the direction of the sun.
Yes but we're talking about gradient ND filters, not variable.

To illustrate:

nd-4-square-filter-graduated-01_600x600.jpg

Typically the darker gradient would be used for the sky.

Reactions: Thomas B
I don’t have the gradient filters yet. I guess having them is just an addition to your arsenal of filters. You would not use them all the time as they are only for horizon shots.

went out and flew the drone today and tried the gradient filter used the 8 ones and must say footage was dark, flew it without them and footage was too bright, i was shooting in manual and 100 iso, so not sure, will try out the 4 and see where i go from there. maybe im doing something wrong

went out and flew the drone today and tried the gradient filter used the 8 ones and must say footage was dark, flew it without them and footage was too bright, i was shooting in manual and 100 iso, so not sure, will try out the 4 and see where i go from there. maybe im doing something wrong
Use the histogram in GO4, by that you see if the exposure is correct. If trying to film according to the 180 degree thumb rule & it gets underexposed, change to a lighter ND filter.

Reactions: Scoobychief

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique