DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Grand Canyon

Jearim08

Reactions
Can somebody tell me in this location we can fly drones Grand Canyon

But You can fly not into the grand canyon but outside the park you can right?

Outside the park is no longer the Grand Canyon, is it?

Do not think that taking off outside the park allows you to fly over the canyon.

Reactions: HVYMTL
I didn’t say to fly over the canyon Im saying to fly before u arrived Gran Canyon just to take some pictures and footage!

Yes of course you can fly outside the park boundaries. But quite frankly, the landscape there is quite boring and I am not sure you will find much of interest...

I live about

I live about 5 miles from Red Rock Canyon National Park ( Near Las Vegas ) . They allow flying with FAA registration, however not directly around people.

That's a nice place to fly, but note that Red Rock Canyon is on BLM land run by Southern Nevada Conservancy, a non-profit organization. It's not a National Park.

Reactions: Trolleydodger
That's a nice place to fly, but note that Red Rock Canyon is on BLM land run by Southern Nevada Conservancy, a non-profit organization. It's not a National Park.

Technically correct, listed as "National Conservation Area". However they do honor ( and sell ) the National Parks Passes, as I go there about once a week .

Fees & Passes

Technically correct, listed as "National Conservation Area". However they do honor ( and sell ) the National Parks Passes, as I go there about once a week .

Fees & Passes

The important point is that it is BLM land, not NPS land. NPS has no ownership or jurisdiction, so obviously the NPS sUAS rules won't apply.

Reactions: Kgitti
This is true. NOT all US National Parks are NFZ. Some permit, but there are still some restrictions.

https://www.nps.gov/orgs/aviationprogram/upload/unmanned-aircraft-in-national-parks.pdf

This may help.

None of the National Parks are technically NFZs - it's just that they prohibit landing and takeoff in the parks. I've yet to find a NPS Park that permits sUAS without specific authorization from the Park Superintendent, but that information sheet does imply that there may be some.

Red Rock is not a NPS site though.

None of the National Parks are technically NFZs - it's just that they prohibit landing and takeoff in the parks. I've yet to find a NPS Park that permits sUAS without specific authorization from the Park Superintendent, but that information sheet does imply that there may be some.

Red Rock is not a NPS site though.
Quite true, Red Rock is NOT a NPS, and yes also about the NFZ issue, however, my understanding is, the FAA has imposed a 2000 foot height restriction on NPSs, to help prevent not only UAS pilots but fixed and rotary wing pilots as well. I thoroughly understand the primary reasons as well. It is bad enough that some people have to get out of their car and harass/taunt wildlife, endangering themselves and others. However, the link does validate there are places in NPS’s drone flight is permitted.
Thank you for correcting on the Red Rocks issue.

Quite true, Red Rock is NOT a NPS, and yes also about the NFZ issue, however, my understanding is, the FAA has imposed a 2000 foot height restriction on NPSs, to help prevent not only UAS pilots but fixed and rotary wing pilots as well. I thoroughly understand the primary reasons as well. It is bad enough that some people have to get out of their car and harass/taunt wildlife, endangering themselves and others. However, the link does validate there are places in NPS’s drone flight is permitted.
Thank you for correcting on the Red Rocks issue.

There are voluntary height restrictions over some noise-sensitive wildlife areas, but I'm not aware of any 2000 ft AGL restriction on NPS land - do you have a reference for that?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky