DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Great Storage Option for your mavic videos

I use a portable HDD for in-field use (so the videos live on laptop AND the portable). At home they're copied to a 16TB WD NAS (and archived on a portable drive)

The drive linked to in my post was a full-size external drive that definitely required an external AC adapter. The OP had referred to a portable drive that was powered over USB and didn't require a separate power supply.

Yes, I was just passing on a little information for those that don't know much about computers.

Reactions: Croc End
USB storage works fine, I just can't add another internal hard drive. I am in IT and have never seen a setup like this; in that there is an empty bay, wiring installed, and a port on the motherboard for another internal drive yet the chipset will not support it. And this is a business-class Dell.

I find it really hard to believe it's a motherboard issue... what is your model? Don't post service tag, just model.

Just FYI, you can now buy the Western Digital MyStore 4TB external hard drive at Best Buy or on Amazon for $97. It is about the size of a cigarette box and is powered by the USB cable, so there is no extra power cable. It is fast and uses USB 3.0. Works with Windows or Mac (OR XBOX or PS) - 3 year warranty.

I picked one up and it works great.

4 Terrabytes will hold a LOT of 4K videos.
What I bought was the Western Digital My Passport, Wireless SSD. It has an SD card slot, and internal battery, so you can put your Micro-SD card into an SD card adapter (which most of them come with) and transfer videos in the field without needing a computer. It's got WiFi and an app for your smartphone or tablet to control it and even view your files. This of course can be the same smartphone or tablet that you use for DJI Go 4. It is more expensive than the Easy Store drive, but to me it does much more so it's worth it. Of course it also has USB3 connectivity to connect with a computer when you get home.

I have had too many USB external drives fail (I think three) and NEVER had issues with internal drives so besides the cloud for backup I have recently tried out the little used Windows Storage Space which is software based RAID and WD Green drives. I love the security/confidence it gives me but I usually move anything I am currently working on to a "Project" drive that is either a SSD or m.2. Working with 4k footage has a bit of a lag otherwise.... which is completely unacceptable....
Note also I recently switched from Dropbox to OneDrive which saved me a fortune... and has proven to be quite robust.... or they have largely caught up with Dropbox... and they throw in Office. I had been using Open Office for the last several years but what the heck, it even includes Access

Just FYI, you can now buy the Western Digital MyStore 4TB external hard drive at Best Buy or on Amazon for $97. It is about the size of a cigarette box and is powered by the USB cable, so there is no extra power cable. It is fast and uses USB 3.0. Works with Windows or Mac (OR XBOX or PS) - 3 year warranty.

I picked one up and it works great.

4 Terrabytes will hold a LOT of 4K videos.
They are awful for editing though. Move the files to an ssd for easy scrubbing in premiere. i have 5 or 6 of those types of drives for backup, but cant scrub for sure.

Dell Precision T3500

You should be able to have 2 sata hard drives in that system. 3 with an expansion card. It has to be a BIOS setting.

Dell Precision T3500 Specifications
  • Form Factor: Tower Workstation.
  • Prcoessors: Intel Xeon 3500 & 3600 Series up to six-cores.
  • RAM: Up to 24GB with DDR3 ECC or Non-ECC RAM.
  • Hard Drives: Up to 2 x 3.5" (LFF) SAS/SATA (3w/expansion)
  • Drive Controller: On-Board SAS RAID or optional SAS6

Last edited:
You should be able to have 2 sata hard drives in that system. 3 with an expansion card. It has to be a BIOS setting.

Dell Precision T3500 Specifications
  • Form Factor: Tower Workstation.
  • Prcoessors: Intel Xeon 3500 & 3600 Series up to six-cores.
  • RAM: Up to 24GB with DDR3 ECC or Non-ECC RAM.
  • Hard Drives: Up to 2 x 3.5" (LFF) SAS/SATA (3w/expansion)
  • Drive Controller: On-Board SAS RAID or optional SAS6

Holy crap... you have a server CPU... just noticed, I was concentrating on the HDs. You may have to set up the other HD in a "RAiD" configuration? Drive Controller: On-Board SAS RAID or optional SAS6. You have a 6 core processor, it definitely can handle another HD. You should do some research on it at he Dell website. Go to support and put in your service tag. I am going to look too because I hate not being able to solve computer issues. Only had 4 computers I couldn't fix since 2000.

I have a QNAP 4 bay NAS mounted in its own cabinet with a UPS. I back up the NAS to further drives. Currently have 3 drives and one empty bay in the NAS so have heaps of room.

Can connect to the NAS from my laptop when on the road and do a daily backup.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580