Join Us Now

Greetings from the Sierra foothills, California

bheiser1

Premium Pilot
Reactions
the foothills of the Sierra Nevada in California
Site
billheiserphoto.com
Hi everyone. I’ve posted some already, but just realized I jumped right in without a proper introduction in the Check In forum. I got my M2P at the end of November & have been flying at every opportunity since then, between rain storms :).

I’m in the Sierra foothills in California, just over an hour from Yosemite. As a part time photographer, I’ve thought about drones for a long time, but have held off because it sounded like there were too many restrictions. I decided to go for it anyway, adding another tool to my camera bag. I love it so far, though it’s been challenging to find good places to fly.

I’m studying for the Part 107 test along the way, and my approach to flying is conservative (I grew up with parents who flew light planes, so spent a LOT of time around planes & airports). No “how far and high can I go in a big windstorm” here :).

Happy Holidays everyone!

This is what it’s like where I live, shot with the M2P.
D3F1FA29-FFBA-4372-BE74-05EC2CE36FA5.jpeg

Big mud hole in Mississippi here.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Should be some great places to fly and shoot up there. I’m originally from Fresno. Been in Boise for 20 years now.

They are harder to find than I expected. Most land around here is private property, and CA has specific laws about photography over private property (all it takes is one person to complain about privacy concerns). There are some nice places on National Forest lands, though that can be nerve wracking over 150’ trees :). I’m still exploring, and the good thing is as I say within VLOS, I don’t need a very big area to fly.

They are harder to find than I expected. Most land around here is private property, and CA has specific laws about photography over private property (all it takes is one person to complain about privacy concerns). There are some nice places on National Forest lands, though that can be nerve wracking over 150’ trees :). I’m still exploring, and the good thing is as I say within VLOS, I don’t need a very big area to fly.
My situation is very similar to yours. My house is literally surrounded by 150ft pine trees so can only fly in a 200 ft diameter cylinder. I must admit that I did once fly a bit further away by peeking through the trees to maintain VLOS (wink, wink). I try to stay over the road to avoid going over private property and keep my altitude at at least 200ft so very few neighbors will notice. I have noticed that heavy foliage significantly attenuates the radio signal. I try to find remote locations that people say have great views to get out of the trees blocking my flight path.

Good luck.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Hi everyone. I’ve posted some already, but just realized I jumped right in without a proper introduction in the Check In forum. I got my M2P at the end of November & have been flying at every opportunity since then, between rain storms :).

I’m in the Sierra foothills in California, just over an hour from Yosemite. As a part time photographer, I’ve thought about drones for a long time, but have held off because it sounded like there were too many restrictions. I decided to go for it anyway, adding another tool to my camera bag. I love it so far, though it’s been challenging to find good places to fly.

I’m studying for the Part 107 test along the way, and my approach to flying is conservative (I grew up with parents who flew light planes, so spent a LOT of time around planes & airports). No “how far and high can I go in a big windstorm” here :).

Happy Holidays everyone!

This is what it’s like where I live, shot with the M2P.
View attachment 88790
Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new Mavic 2 Pro and good luck on your certification. Fly safe and have fun!

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kquach229