DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Greetings from upstate NY

I'm new to the drone world and just purchased a used Mavic Air with the fly more combo. My goal with the purchase is to document the construction (read -destruction) of a wind turbine facility in my community and monitor compliance with local laws. The seller is an avid drone pilot and was quite enthusiastic in sharing the information about the MA, so I felt reasonably confident that I made a good purchase. I don't need the latest and greatest and if I can learn to fly the drone and receive acceptable results, it will be a quantum leap forward from hanging out of a single engine aircraft trying to video the project zone (which I have done).

There's so much to learn about flying them as well as the video and photographic arena that it won't become airborne for quite some time. I'm looking to find a reasonably priced Ipad Mini 4 or later so that I don't have to keep taking my phone out of it's case and then back again.

I'm looking forward to this learning journey. I've had to quell my enthusiasm to get in the air and refocus it into becoming educated in the many aspects of piloting these birds.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences and knowledge.......

Addendum - I've begun to familiarize myself with the laws regarding flying drones and wind turbines so I don't end up on the police blotter.......
Welcome from the mountains of Western North Carolina.

"Destruction" of a wind turbine facility? Heaven forbid that - it will cause a drop in available electricity! READ SARCASM.

Look on eBay, this forum in classifieds, or any resellers like B&H / Adorama / etc have both new and used tablets for sale. A tablet is much nicer than a small phone for these old man eyes. I prefer Android, but this just me. I do not like Google / Alphabet though, so there is that love / hate relationship.

Don't wait long to fly - just get out and give her a flight - just to have FUN. All work and no play, make Jack a dull boy. Hundreds of YouTube videos to watch as well, esp for beginning to learn all the COOL & GREAT features of your drone.

Knowing the rules is critical, so good first step - many don't. Also get one of the many flight apps like Aloft / B4UFLY ( they have a web version too for us with bad eyes using a phone / tablet) to know of federal restrictions mostly. Then you'll have to Google / Duck Duck Go / whatever search tool you use for NY State and local drone rules - there tend to be many, esp parks.

Again - DO NOT WAIT - get the drone hot and GO FLY TODAY! You'll be glad you did.

I'd like to suggest that before you purchase a used iPad to use as a monitor you look into the DJI CrystalSky 5.5". My experience has been that using an iPad or iPhone, though workable, does not provide the brightness one wishes for, esp. on a sunny day. Though they are not cheap, I found I was flying with much more confidence once I was able to see more clearly and it has made a huge difference. The optional sun shade is perfect and also provides protection for the screen when it's stored.
Sounds nice, but like an SC - way too small for my going bad eyes. My Android tablet - Lenovo 10 - while not great - fills the needs quite well. Didn't break the bank either. If I was to spend the money for CS - then I'd buy a Tripltek with a much bigger and bright screen.

But to each their own on what they like and use.

It sounds like what you intend to do is not for strictly recreation. If that is the case, to stay legal with the FAA you will need to pass the test to become part 107 certified.
Being a concerned member of the community and documenting for his own purposes the "destruction" would seem to fall still as a rec flyer. Now, if he was to try and use that info (vids / pics) if issues arise - then a 107 would be a better option to have for sure on the plate beforehand.

Wonder where they are going to dump all that non-recyclable material? Not many places accept such large items like a wind turbine.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Being a concerned member of the community and documenting for his own purposes the "destruction" would seem to fall still as a rec flyer. Now, if he was to try and use that info (vids / pics) if issues arise - then a 107 would be a better option to have for sure on the plate beforehand.

Wonder where they are going to dump all that non-recyclable material? Not many places accept such large items like a wind turbine.
I did the TRUST certificate and have registered my MA with the FAA. I'm guessing that the 107 would cover my six. The courts have not favored any of our legitimate and substantive arguments and the wind developer won't bat an eye to push for some form of violation on my part. I'm not on their Christmas list.....

I understand that this isn't the arena to discuss such matters but I feel I need to clarify myself. What I'm calling the "destructive phase", others are call it the "construction phase". Between the project in my town and the sister project in a neighboring town, over 3,000 acres of woodland (and wetland) will be cleared for this "green energy" (read- extreme sarcasm). Our town will become among other things an avian vegamatic. These obscene structures will be the tallest terrestrial wind turbines in the US standing 670' tall. Imagine living in a rural community with a 65 story industrial structure a mere 1500' from your home. Each blade is 259' long and non recyclable. If anyone would like to discuss this, feel free to PM me.

That said, my goal is to first get a "baseline" of the unfettered project area and then document the tree clearing and construction. I have no intention of flying over leased properties. I'll only fly over non-participating residents properties with their permission. I'm well aware that I'll have to dot all of my "i"'s and cross all of my "T"'s.

I haven't looked at the 107 in detail, but offhand, what's the cost of it?

Welcome from the country that has the “real” Guildford! That’s Guildford Surrey with a D! Seriously you are very welcome to the Forum. It is absolutely brilliant as I have found over the years. Having lived in GuilDford for 10 years 80/90 I do hope your Guilford is as lovely. Which MA do you have? Not sure that has been covered above?
I have the first generation of MA. Yep, it's beautiful here as well till the dozers start plowing over trees.....

Reactions: twickers14
First off....welcome to the forum ...as far as the cost of the 107 exam, the fee went to $175 last Spring.....however if you want a leg up on passing the test you may want to consider a course....right now @pilotinstitute is offering a discount on their course...I don't think I would have passed without it, and I do have some flying experience in small single engine aircraft
Palm Springs California has as a Windmill farm...as far as you can see...I think I got this video from this site

Thanks for the video! That's only the tip of the iceberg......

@Crow Horse while i myself and i am sure many others on this forum can sympathise with what is going on in your local area ,i think it would be better to move this thread to off topic ,i am sure that if others disagree with my decision they are free to draw it to the attention of the administrators

Understood and no worries.....

Reactions: old man mavic
Wow! I'm seeing a lot of LI natives here. I lived there for 50 years (all around Nassau Co.) and then made the long awaited move to rural NY and never regretted it.

First off....welcome to the forum ...as far as the cost of the 107 exam, the fee went to $175 last Spring.....however if you want a leg up on passing the test you may want to consider a course....right now @pilotinstitute is offering a discount on their course...I don't think I would have passed without it, and I do have some flying experience in small single engine aircraft
Palm Springs California has as a Windmill farm...as far as you can see...I think I got this video from this site
I briefly looked into pilot institute and it looks like a no brainer to enroll in it. I'm a sponge for knowledge and the 107 course they offer will provide the knowledge that I need to fly as well as securing my 107 certificate. Thanks for pointing me in their direction!

I'm not a proponent of testing the waters of a new arena with both feet at the same time. I feel far more comfortable after I become educated to move forward. In the long term, I've found that this is the most cost effective way to proceed.......

Welcome from Liverpool, NY.

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
I took a course with a National Drone School, because I had no idea of how drones worked. Also, completed UAS safety Test (TRUST), this document is evidence that the holder has passed the aeronautical knowledge and safety test.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada