chord8

Premium Pilot
Reactions
hello all...

Thank you for accepting me into this discussion group
I am based in Thorneside half an hour from Brisbane, Australia

Finally bought my MINI2 after a long time lusting after it
Took it out for its maiden and it behaved very well apart from one aspect
When I pressed RTH it shot up vertically very high. I was able to stop it pressing the same button and then the land button on the iPhone screen
It landed very elegantly but nowhere near the take-off position

Any suggestions...?

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum chord8 . . . lusting is the correct word. We all have done this for our birds. It sounds like your RTH altitude is set higher than you were flying.

If you were flying at 100 meters (and RTH is set to 150 meters) then the aircraft will rise to that height (to clear trees, buildings, etc) to return home.

Welcome.

You can halt the climb to RTH height by

"If the aircraft is at an altitude of 65 ft (20 m) or higher and has not yet reached the RTH altitude, the
throttle stick can be moved to stop the aircraft from ascending and the aircraft will fly to the Home
Point at its current altitude (only available with firmware v1.0.0.0. This function is not available when
the firmware is updated to v1.1.0.0 or later)"

The above is from page 15 of the manual.

I would suggest that RTH height is something that should be set each time you fly in any giving/new location. Minimum heights need to be adjusted to avoid obstacles, trees, building etc. and I aim to clear an obstacle by around 30ft/10m. Setting a unnecessatily high, cover-all-situations RTH height wastes battery power in both the ascent and descent phases of the process.
It may also put the drone up into fast wind, wind speed tends to increase with height above the ground (AGL) and wind can be a problem.
Note you can reset the RTH height whilst the drone is in flight but you CAN NOT reset the RTH height whilst the drone is climbing to RTH height. I have forgotten whether or not you can change the RTH height whilst the drone is actually flying towards home but if you try that and aim to reduce the height be careful, ensure there is nothing too close beneath the drone, the drone might possibly descend. That may be unlikely but it could be an expensive way of determining one way or the other.

I would also suggest you read up on the various distance thresholds related to RTH behaviour, the behaviours change with distance and can catch you out.

With regards to "It landed very elegantly but nowhere near the take-off position". Providing the drone has sufficient satellites to establish, to its satidfaction, that it knows where it is the drone normally resets the home point as it takes off, and fast flashes the rear LED, I watch for this. If the drone takes off with insufficient satellites and is flown away from the take off point then it will set the home point to wherever it is when it finally gets sufficient satellites. I often have to take off with insufficent satellites, I may well fly it away from the take off point and or make it climb, to the limited "no GPS" ceiling, but once it has established a home point - somewhere, I bring it back over head and reset the home point to the drone's postion i.e. where I am.

Last edited:
Hello from the Crossroads of America chord8.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Welcome to the forum chord8 . . . lusting is the correct word. We all have done this for our birds. It sounds like your RTH altitude is set higher than you were flying.

If you were flying at 100 meters (and RTH is set to 150 meters) then the aircraft will rise to that height (to clear trees, buildings, etc) to return home.
hi Skywatcher...
Thousand thankyous for your speedy reply. I guess I have not totally familiarised myself with my bird

Welcome.

You can halt the climb to RTH height by

"If the aircraft is at an altitude of 65 ft (20 m) or higher and has not yet reached the RTH altitude, the
throttle stick can be moved to stop the aircraft from ascending and the aircraft will fly to the Home
Point at its current altitude (only available with firmware v1.0.0.0. This function is not available when
the firmware is updated to v1.1.0.0 or later)"

The above is from page 15 of the manual.

I would suggest that RTH height is something that should be set each time you fly in any giving/new location. Minimum heights need to be adjusted to avoid obstacles, trees, building etc. and I aim to clear an obstacle by around 30ft/10m. Setting a unnecessatily high, cover-all-situations RTH height wastes battery power in both the ascent and descent phases of the process.
It may also put the drone up into fast wind, wind speed tends to increase with height above the ground (AGL) and wind can be a problem.
Note you can reset the RTH height whilst the drone is in flight but you CAN NOT reset the RTH height whilst the drone is climbing to RTH height. I have forgotten whether or not you can change the RTH height whilst the drone is actually flying towards home but if you try that and aim to reduce the height be careful, ensure there is nothing too close beneath the drone, the drone might possibly descend. That may be unlikely but it could be an expensive way of determining one way or the other.

I would also suggest you read up on the various distance thresholds related to RTH behaviour, the behaviours change with distance and can catch you out.

With regards to "It landed very elegantly but nowhere near the take-off position". Providing the drone has sufficient satellites to establish, to its satidfaction, that it knows where it is the drone normally resets the home point as it takes off, and fast flashes the rear LED, I watch for this. If the drone takes off with insufficient satellites and is flown away from the take off point then it will set the home point to wherever it is when it finally gets sufficient satellites. I often have to take off with insufficent satellites, I may well fly it away from the take off point and or make it climb, to the limited "no GPS" ceiling, but once it has established a home point - somewhere, I bring it back over head and reset the home point to the drone's postion i.e. where I am.
Dear Mr Pud or may I call you Yorkshire..?

A thousand thankyous for your quick and incisive observation
I will return to the learn.pilotinstitute courses and be a little more patient
cheers Ian

Dear Mr Pud or may I call you Yorkshire..?

A thousand thankyous for your quick and incisive observation
I will return to the learn.pilotinstitute courses and be a little more patient
cheers Ian
We all start at the beginning and these drones have many tricks up their sleeves. To be honest I don't think the manuals are well written or perhaps translated.
If I have knowledge it's probably because I have been there and made all the mistakes myself. The stopping a climb to RTH height thing is one of them, I didn't know how and mine went HIGH ( a mistake on my part ) and I was ~~~~ing it the whole way down until it was well below 400ft/120m, I came across the answer in here and it stuck.

We all start at the beginning and these drones have many tricks up their sleeves. To be honest I don't think the manuals are well written or perhaps translated.
If I have knowledge it's probably because I have been there and made all the mistakes myself. The stopping a climb to RTH height thing is one of them, I didn't know how and mine went HIGH ( a mistake on my part ) and I was ~~~~ing it the whole way down until it was well below 400ft/120m, I came across the answer in here and it stuck.
Too true..!
Tell me, I am considering buying a propeller holder
Since all of these are online I cannot physically feel or estimate their size
I have a Hoyunla Case for DJI Mavic Mini 2 Amazon.com.au:Customer reviews: Hoyunla Case DJI Mavic Mini 2 Waterproof Bag Carrying Case Compact Box Compatible DJI Mavic Mini 2 Drone (Standard case)
Item dimensions L x W x H24.6 x 20.3 x 8.6 centimetres
I was reading that some of the fitted propeller holders will not fit in the case
What are your thoughts on this...?

I was also thinking of a wide elastic band..!

I'm not sure if it will fit in your case (I use the flymore bag) but if you, or someone you know has access to a 3D printer I am using THIS prop holder and it works great and only cost a little filament and time (and a tip to the designer if you feel inclined). There are allot of different things available to print specifically for your Mini 2 including different prop holders (I don't care for any that put tension on the props or motors), leg extentions (I find these a must because the mini 2 sits so low) most of which won't put your drone over the 250g limit. Enjoy and good luck.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman