DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stories of crashes or bad judgement calls

Letsgethigh469

Reactions
Back in 2020, my boy and I had built some decent rockets we were playing with but picked up a cheaper one and launched it from our yard, it came down got stuck in my neighbors tree. We weren't too concerned as it was a cheaper one but the next day, just playing around we rigged up a larger treble hook and a string to the bottom of a Mavic Pro M1P decided to give it a go see if I could snag the parachute string, pull it from the tree. I knew there was a good chance I might get the Mavic stuck up there as well but I had insurance on it. Had the parachute string snagged within about 30 seconds. Attempted to pull it out, the Mavic gave a good effort and I thought I would get it. But one of the parachute strings blew up and got tangled in a prop. So I had to kill the motors and it swung down hanging with both stuck in the tree as I figured might happen.
I backed my truck up under it, put a 10ft stepladder in the bed. But after looking up at the route, I thought nope! Not doing this as it was real close to power lines. I put the ladder in the bed and pulled the truck back to my driveway, called a guy that does tree trimming that I know. Said he would be there Monday. I get off the phone and my neighbor walks up said he could get a friend of ours with a backhoe and raise me up in the bucket. I said no it won't get me any higher than with the ladder and those power lines are too close. My boy and I started riding our quads and was working on trimming up some trails. An hour later here comes the guy with the backhoe. We go up to talk with him, he had his bucket raised up under it to check the height. Told him I was concerned about the power lines and was leary. After some discussion I felt compelled because I had these guys trying to help, I thought I need to get off my butt and accept their help. (Bad judgement call)
I went and grabbed a commercial electricians blanket I have and threw that in the bucket. I had two HD pool poles taped together with a net at the end. He raised me up in the bucket, I could barely get to it but it was tough. Could get the Mavic in the net kind of, but couldn't free it. Was about ready to throw in the towel and my neighbor said the wind picked up or whatever the reason but seen the pole get close to the lines. I knew I was getting shocked, and could hear the electricity. Very violent. Knew I had got against the line. Seemed like it last for 3 to 4 seconds. Had my eyes closed and was thinking let go, but I couldn't. Felt froze at that moment.
Next thing I know I took a deep breath and woke up on the ground. My neighbor was shaking my shoulder. Said I did a complete flip on the way down and landed like a pancake, flat on my back. He said he felt the ground shake when I landed next to him. Not anticipating me waking up he said he was surprised after about 45 seconds I opened my eyes.
The current went through both of my hands and exited out of my right quadricep. I had unintentionally braced my right leg against the top of the backhoe bucket. It gave me a ground. I had a pocket knife in my right pocket, it melted the fabric to that pocket knife and blew a hole in my leg.
Long story even longer, I was in ICU for 28 days and ended up losing my right thumb. Went without a thumb for about 6 months and finally was able to have a toe to thumb transfer. Ive had 16 surgeries in total. Was off for about a year, ran through most of my 401k savings. But you overcome and adapt, the physical stuff is small potatoes considering. Just glad to be here and thankful that God was with me that day.
So be careful on those judgment calls whatever your doing, and remember life is very fragile, dont sweat the small things in life and enjoy!

But you overcome and adapt, the physical stuff is small potatoes considering. Just glad to be here and thankful that God was with me that day.
So be careful on those judgment calls whatever your doing,

Amen.

I'm recovering with a broken arm due to a poor judgment call four months ago.

Thanks for sharing Letsgethigh469

Reactions: Letsgethigh469
WOW, ! you almost died, there still a lot of life left for you to grasp, has it changed you the near death experience?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water, and be Weary of Power lines.

Got One:

Playing with a Ouji board one night, fire deptartment and cops came out , and the next morning I decided to thow it away in the Dumpster as i was going to work across the street from where I lived. I had my keys in my hand as i lifted up that dumpster lid and as I threw the Ouji box into the dumpster i dropped my keys.

I had to jump inside the dumpster to get my keys an as I jumped in some rail stabbed me in my calf and as I was getting out a bee stung me in eye. I was severely bleeding and swelling severely as I am allergic to the bee and could not see out of that eye.

I thought it was a good idea to drive myself to the hosp and scraped the car next to me getting out of the parking lot , and got on the road an was speeding down the road and got pulled over by a cop, he let me go to the hospital which was right down the road.

I got a few stitches , and a shot for the bee sting .

The Reason why the Firedepartment came was that there was this intense pounding on the roof , and they were going up on the roof to investigate it, they were all standing inside my apartment asking us playing if we had been drinking , and than the boom on the roof happened and everyone one of those men jumped, both cops and fire department were shook.

There finding was that the Roof on the building was settling, but I knew the truth, it was the great dumpster spirit , lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. land on the Water , and weary of the Ouji boards.

Last edited:
Reactions: mavictk
Got One: Playing with a Ouji board one night, fire deptartment and cops came out , and the next morning I decided to thow it away in the Dumpster as i was going to work across the street from where I lived. I had my keys in my hand as i lifted up that dumpster lid and as I threw the Ouji box into the dumpster i dropped my keys.

I had to jump inside the dumpster to get my keys an as I jumped in some rail stabbed me in my calf and as I was getting out a bee stung me in eye. I was not bleeding and swelling severely as I am allergic.

I thought it was a good idea to drive myself to the hosp and scraped the car next to me getting out of the parking lot , and got on the road an was speeding down the road and got pulled over my a cop, he let me go to the hospital .

The Reason why the Firedepartment came was that there was this intense pounding on the roof , and they were goint up to investigate it, they were all standing inside my apartment askging us playing if we had been drinking , and than the boom on the roof happened and everyone one of those men jumped, both cops and fire department were shook.

There finding was that the Roof on the building was settling, but I knew the truth, it was the great dumpster spirit , lol

Phantomrain.org
Just a point, NEVER try to PICK a bee sting out, doing that crushes the poison sack and pumps more venom into yourself. SCRAPE the stinger out with a finger nail or some such thing.

Got One:

Playing with a Ouji board one night, fire deptartment and cops came out , and the next morning I decided to thow it away in the Dumpster as i was going to work across the street from where I lived. I had my keys in my hand as i lifted up that dumpster lid and as I threw the Ouji box into the dumpster i dropped my keys.

I had to jump inside the dumpster to get my keys an as I jumped in some rail stabbed me in my calf and as I was getting out a bee stung me in eye. I was severely bleeding and swelling severely as I am allergic to the bee and could not see out of that eye.

I thought it was a good idea to drive myself to the hosp and scraped the car next to me getting out of the parking lot , and got on the road an was speeding down the road and got pulled over by a cop, he let me go to the hospital which was right down the road.

The Reason why the Firedepartment came was that there was this intense pounding on the roof , and they were going up on the roof to investigate it, they were all standing inside my apartment asking us playing if we had been drinking , and than the boom on the roof happened and everyone one of those men jumped, both cops and fire department were shook.

Phantomrain.org
Wow thats a crazy story! Reminds me of the movie Final Destination.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Yes for sure, it happens. I was familiar with electricity and have installed a couple electric panels and meter bases, worked with it being a homeowner like most have and on the job. Knew of the danger but a bad lapse in judgement. Care to share how you got the broken arm?

WOW, ! you almost died, there still a lot of life left for you to grasp, has it changed you the near death experience?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water, and be Weary of Power lines.
Yes I am so much more in tune with with how fragile life is and tomorrow is not promised. It changes your perspective and I had to gain a lot of patience when recovering. My index and middle finger on both hands dont straighten completely from scar tissue on the skin graphs. Desensitized feeling in fingers so it's hard to manipulate small items or know how hard I'm grasping. Tying my shoes to buttoning my pants or getting dressed. I dont were button up shirts very often anymore. But I like to tinker and I'm mechanically inclined so when I'm working on something you figure ways to hold things with magnets or pliers etc. Im a Fire Extinguisher/ Kitchen Suppression tech now. A person adapts. It blows my mind when I see people with no arms or legs and how functional they can be. My little minor inconveniences would be welcomed by some. Thank you.

Youch.

Just curious, does this mean that your local airborne power cables are uninsulated ?
Yes. I ask a power company tech and he stated they hang up their years on end, sun, rain and snow. They develop cracks in the coating. Ive been shocked before by 110 and 220. That is just a drop of how much voltage are in those wires. As I stated it's violent and I could feel it from head to toe (no pun intended). I used to do wood fractal burning with electricity and I still plan on doing some projects but it crosses your mind. But I was always very safe when doing so. That's the reason I owned the electricians blankets.

• Wow
It would scary if your low hanging cables are higher than 220V, though I suppose they could easily be 400V+ if they are from a 3 phase supply but higher than that and ..... EEEEK. That said I am a bit surprised that the electricity company doesn't trim trees that are that close to power lines.
I did once fiddle with live mains, 230-240V here, but I was on a double layer of new, thick, plastic sheet, wearing wellies and rubber gloves. The guy watching me had instructions to hit me with a broom shaft but NOT to touch me if I started 'shaking'. Fortunately I didn't need him.

Last edited:
It would scary if your low hanging cables are higher than 220V, though I suppose they could easily be 400V+ if they are from a 3 phase supply but higher than that and ..... EEEEK. That said I am a bit surprised that the electricity company doesn't trim trees that are that close to power lines.
I did once fiddle with live mains, 230-240V here, but I was on a double layer of new, thick, plastic sheet, wearing wellies and rubber gloves. The guy watching me had instructions to hit me with a broom shaft but NOT to touch me if I started 'shaking'. Fortunately I didn't need him.
I was talking to a lineman from Ameren Power that was working in the area about a year ago, that it was probably a phase to ground that I got around 6500 volts. He was suprised the power company never reached out for me to help promote the dangers of power lines etc.
Oddly enough A couple days after the accident my neighbor said he found the Mavic folded up neatly at his back door steps. Assuming it was the power company got it down. Had gimbal errors after that but still flew just fine. Wasn't a mark on it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas