DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GRRR Gimbal Random Reset

Former Member

Reactions
If you have ever experienced a gimbal random reset (I call it GRRR for short because thats the noise my stomach makes when it happens), it can be a terrifying experience. You might think your Mavic is doing a death spiral down to the ground from what your video feed is showing, especially if you are out of LOS range. The cause of the grrr can be software and/or hardware related, and can happen just once in the Mavics lifespan, or repeatedly, which would prompt a repair.

In any case, the main thing to remember is to keep calm when it happens. Let go of the sticks and let the reset do it's thing. Your Mavic is not going to crash, but the gimbal is simply resetting itself. It could take 5-30 seconds to reset, and then it's back to business as if nothing had ever happened. Keep an eye on your altimeter and speedometer on the display and you will see that the Mavic is stationary, and you dont need to do anything, just wait. If you should happen to lose your display, theres not much you can do, but in my experience, the grrr will not disrupt signal between the controller and drone, so it is safe to wait until it's over.

As the weather warms in my side of the world, and as people get to flying more, this might seem to be more of an occurrence, but it's simply because more people are flying now than 6 months ago.

I hope everyone is having a good time with whatever they are flying.

If you have ever experienced a gimbal random reset (I call it GRRR for short because thats the noise my stomach makes when it happens), it can be a terrifying experience. You might think your Mavic is doing a death spiral down to the ground from what your video feed is showing, especially if you are out of LOS range. The cause of the grrr can be software and/or hardware related, and can happen just once in the Mavics lifespan, or repeatedly, which would prompt a repair.

In any case, the main thing to remember is to keep calm when it happens. Let go of the sticks and let the reset do it's thing. Your Mavic is not going to crash, but the gimbal is simply resetting itself. It could take 5-30 seconds to reset, and then it's back to business as if nothing had ever happened. Keep an eye on your altimeter and speedometer on the display and you will see that the Mavic is stationary, and you dont need to do anything, just wait. If you should happen to lose your display, theres not much you can do, but in my experience, the grrr will not disrupt signal between the controller and drone, so it is safe to wait until it's over.

As the weather warms in my side of the world, and as people get to flying more, this might seem to be more of an occurrence, but it's simply because more people are flying now than 6 months ago.

Shouldn't it be GRR? What's the extra R for? Redundancy?

Reactions: Former Member
Good suggestion. Any idea what cause's the GRRR.

If it were hardware related, my guess would be a momentary power interruption and then restoration to the gimbal flat ribbon cable. A loose connector could possibly do it when hitting some rough air, but I have seen it happen during smooth air flight. Another possible cause could be a brownout to the gimbal motor assembly that shuts the gimbal down, then power restoration.

Some complain that it started happening after a FW update, but not enough people mentioned a single FW version that made it happen more than another.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I have had it happen to my MavP as well a couple of firmware versions back. It seemed to be related (but not limited) to switching between photography and film mode in the app... that would often trigger a gimbal reset. Like you, the first time it happened to me was terrifying, as I was foying in high winds, far out over water next to a no-fly zone... brought the bird straight in afterwards and went home! I got used to it in the end, but was very happy that it was fixed with a firmware update later on!

If it were hardware related, my guess would be a momentary power interruption and then restoration to the gimbal flat ribbon cable. A loose connector could possibly do it when hitting some rough air, but I have seen it happen during smooth air flight. Another possible cause could be a brownout to the gimbal motor assembly that shuts the gimbal down, then power restoration.

Some complain that it started happening after a FW update, but not enough people mentioned a single FW version that made it happen more than another.
Thanks for the info. So far this has never happened to me.

Just happened to me flying today on Tuesday 22nd May. So I think it's still happening it can't be a fw problem I'm using the latest version and go4 app 4.2.16.

Here's the screen recording of it happening.

I associate this issue with the video recording as hitting the record is the only trigger I can account for. I do have random ones (stomach churning experience) but there where a few that happened in the exact moment after hitting record.

Thanks for posting this, it happened to me yesterday and because I had previously read your post I only had a mild heart attack and not a full on instant death stroke hernia

For me after the last update it keeps coming more often . Especially when I change the flying mode from tripod to normal and then begin recording

Seams to be a problem with 64GB SD card... I know: why SD card with gimbal? I don't know but for my experience with 16GB and 32GB SD card all works fine.
Someone suggest also to delete and re-install the APP.

Reactions: Former Member
My theory on this is that the gimble starts to vibrate, exceeds set limits and then it needs to reset. Every time it happened to me so far the video would start to get shaky and then boom it resets. But I have not once had it happen with nd filters mounted, its like the bit of extra weight helps to keep it from starting to vibrate.

My theory on this is that the gimble starts to vibrate, exceeds set limits and then it needs to reset. Every time it happened to me so far the video would start to get shaky and then boom it resets. But I have not once had it happen with nd filters mounted, its like the bit of extra weight helps to keep it from starting to vibrate.
I don’t know. In my case happen also if I leave MP in hovering without any movement and without wind. Some user replicate this problem also with MP on the table without fly only record video for 9 minutes (4GB of file on SD, MO split every 4GB).
Today I try with 32SD card, no problem.
Tomorrow I will try with 64GB formatted in FAT32.
This is the suggestion that I read in a lot of forum.
Of course DJI have to fix this problem!!! ASAP!!! This problem is on the go from more than 1 year...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada