DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GSD affected by zoom?

JCDiaz

Reactions
Hi!
I was just wondering if a planned GSD (mainly defined by the altitude of the flight) is affected if the zoom is changed during a mission, or it will continue as defined.
Regards

Your dog will not get Glycogen storage disease if you use the zoom.

I didn't know ether...

Now I do. 👍

Reactions: JCDiaz
But still my question remains. Will zooming affect the defined GSD?

Reactions: MA2 317
If it was a joke, I didn´t get it.
Had no idea what a GSD was so I looked it up on Googoo. That's what Googoo came up with.

Wont it depend on whether you are using a camera with Optical vs Digital zoom?
If using an Optical zoom, I would think your GSD would be much smaller (better) than if using a Digital zoom which just crops a captured image.
Since you posted your question in the Mavic 3 subforum, I am making the assumption that your question is based on a Mavic 3 with 2 lenses. Yes, those cameras have vastly different specs and you could use a GSD calculator to see what the difference would be between the 2 cameras.

Wont it depend on whether you are using a camera with Optical vs Digital zoom?
If using an Optical zoom, I would think your GSD would be much smaller (better) than if using a Digital zoom which just crops a captured image.
Since you posted your question in the Mavic 3 subforum, I am making the assumption that your question is based on a Mavic 3 with 2 lenses. Yes, those cameras have vastly different specs and you could use a GSD calculator to see what the difference would be between the 2 cameras.
Thanks! It for a Mavic 3T. For this drone, the camera is optical until some around 7x zoom and then turns digital.

GSD is calculated using three things… sensor size, distance from subject (ground), and the focal length. Your GSD will change if you use any optical zoom during the mission. Whenever you are mapping or modeling you need to be utilizing the same focal length through the entire mission as consistency is key for both the overlap and reconstruction.

Additionally, digital zoom is simply cropping and magnifying an image and severely degrades the individual pixels that will be used by your photogrammetry engine to reconstruct your point cloud.

You really shouldn’t have to worry about “zooming“ your photos for photogrammetry. With any capable mapping drone you should be achieving 1-3 cm resolution from any reasonable flight AGL altitude. Also, when you increase the focal length, zoom in, your front and side overlap will be seventy effected and your flight time can increase exponentially as well as a corresponding increase in processing time.

Reactions: Meta4
GSD is calculated using three things… sensor size, distance from subject (ground), and the focal length. Your GSD will change if you use any optical zoom during the mission. Whenever you are mapping or modeling you need to be utilizing the same focal length through the entire mission as consistency is key for both the overlap and reconstruction.

Additionally, digital zoom is simply cropping and magnifying an image and severely degrades the individual pixels that will be used by your photogrammetry engine to reconstruct your point cloud.

You really shouldn’t have to worry about “zooming“ your photos for photogrammetry. With any capable mapping drone you should be achieving 1-3 cm resolution from any reasonable flight AGL altitude. Also, when you increase the focal length, zoom in, your front and side overlap will be seventy effected and your flight time can increase exponentially as well as a corresponding increase in processing time.
Good thing to consider....the overlap. Thanks

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000