DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Guy arrested for shooting down drone

I belong to several sportsmans clubs locally and was in a gun / fishing shop a few months back and the knee jerk reaction from people I used to think were reasonable was that it was their right to shoot something down if they had the slightest thought that it was near or looking at their property. I am a shooter and gun advocate but the last thing I would do is shoot a gun up in the air...sheesh!

I belong to several sportsmans clubs locally and was in a gun / fishing shop a few months back and the knee jerk reaction from people I used to think were reasonable was that it was their right to shoot something down if they had the slightest thought that it was near or looking at their property. I am a shooter and gun advocate but the last thing I would do is shoot a gun up in the air...sheesh!

No kidding. Straight up in the air, not a problem. Should come back down at terminal velocity. At any sort of arc however, and now we have to study ballistics as that bullet is coming down with practically the same force it went up with with potentially devastating consequences.

Looks like he must have a lawyer that’s good at stalling, or the judge wants a longer Christmas vacation. Pre-trial meeting now set back till January 29, 2018:

Looks like he has a lawyer that’s good at stalling, or the judge wants a bit more Christmas vacation. Pre-trial meeting now set for January 29, 2018:

f5ceb0a59d47071e60bda88275a06522.jpg

I think for most people the belief that a drone can spy on them from the air is quite divorced from the reality of these craft. They imagine zoom lenses and drones flying hundreds of feet above able to peer through windows and skylights and read the newspaper on the kitchen table (for those of us recalling having newspapers)
When I show people the actual image and explain zooming is not really possible it seems to ease some concerns

Mythbusters covered it years ago and concluded it was in the region of 100mph 150ft/sec.

Annotated Mythbusters: Episode 50: Bullets Fired Up, Vodka Myths III
I bet they are a little low on that one and it closer to 120 MPH, but no matter. The point being, you are going to get a good bonk in the head, but probably won't kill you.

Edit: To put this speed into perspective, a pretty popular round - the 5.56mm (55gr M193), leaves the barrel at approximately 2,150 MPH. At 120 MPH, it doesn't have any energy left.

Last edited:
I bet they are a little low on that one and it closer to 120 MPH, but no matter. The point being, you are going to get a good bonk in the head, but probably won't kill you.

Edit: To put this speed into perspective, a pretty popular round - the 5.56mm (55gr M193), leaves the barrel at approximately 2,150 MPH. At 120 MPH, it doesn't have any energy left.
Exactly.
Also velocity is only one factor in the equation, there is not enough mass in a bullet to cause significant impact force at those speeds.

They reckon mucous leaves your mouth at 100mph when you sneeze.

It's about time! I am still waiting to see (anywhere in the USA) a federal charge for shooting at an aircraft.

Are you familiar with modern, made for adult pellet guns? They come in several calibers, .177 & .22 being the most popular. Many people hunt game with them. My Diana RWS 34 .177 specs at 1000fps. and they have faster models (1650fps). A 9mm pistol round travels 1247fps. It's not your old Red Ryder. :D

Air rifles go up to 50 cal today they require a scuba tank to fill them or a special air compressor (some us a hand pump but that’s way to much work to get to 3000psi) these super air rifles can hunt big game and make a drone disintegrate! They are know as PCP rifles
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/...ber-pellet-black-synthetic-stock-matte-barrel this one is even deadlier! I saw a few videos of pcp rifles being used for deer, elk, moose even a bear can be taken down with the right setup and they don’t require a license in most states!

Last edited:
Reactions: LuvMyTJ and Callum
I was at a gun show last month in my hometown and some guy was selling shotgun shells that were specially designed to shoot down drones. The shell would deploy a net that would tangle in the blades. I should have asked him the range of the device.

I was at a gun show last month in my hometown and some guy was selling shotgun shells that were specially designed to shoot down drones. The shell would deploy a net that would tangle in the blades. I should have asked him the range of the device.

You can see those shells tested here:

UPDATE ON THE CASE:

I just ran the public court record (online) for the person that shot down the drone in Jackson County, OR last year...he was charged with a Class C Felony under Oregon law.

After many conferences and continuances - and I’m sure a ton of legal fees - the case has been closed (dismissed). The way I read it is there was a ‘civil compromise’, typically meaning he had to pay damages plus whatever else the court chose to award the victim (drone pilot).

While disappointing that the criminal charge was dismissed the offender now has to pony up an undisclosed amount of cash.

fc541244196512b70346d97af0511f01.jpg

a7dd1d8b54b7f4e82f7c48a7b3dcd1a1.jpg

It would be interesting to know what reparations he had to make to the victim..but since it’s a civil compromise it likely has a non-disclosure clause...

Had the pilot/aircraft been operating under FAA Part 107 (commercial) the offender could have been charged under ORS 837.375 (Interference with an Unmanned Aircraft System), which can award the operator a minimum of $5,000 plus attorney fees.

Last edited:
Reactions: macoman
UPDATE ON THE CASE:

I just ran the public court record (online) for the person that shot down the drone in Jackson County, OR last year...he was charged with a Class C Felony under Oregon law.

After many conferences and continuances - and I’m sure a ton of legal fees - the case has been closed (dismissed). The way I read it is there was a ‘civil compromise’, typically meaning he had to pay damages plus whatever the court chose to award the victim (drone pilot).

While disappointing that the criminal charge was dismissed the offender now has to pony up an undisclosed amount of cash.

fc541244196512b70346d97af0511f01.jpg

a7dd1d8b54b7f4e82f7c48a7b3dcd1a1.jpg

Had the pilot/aircraft been operating under FAA Part 107 (commercial) the offender could have been charged under ORS 837.375 (Interference with an Unmanned Aircraft System), which can award the operator a minimum of $5,000 plus attorney fees.
At least the pilot got money so he can buy another one!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143