DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Guy arrested for shooting down drone

There's a earlier video from the same source showing the actual downing but I didn't have time to find this morning

It's about time! I am still waiting to see (anywhere in the USA) a federal charge for shooting at an aircraft.

"A high velocity rifle that used .177 caliber pellet ammunition." LOL
Are you familiar with modern, made for adult pellet guns? They come in several calibers, .177 & .22 being the most popular. Many people hunt game with them. My Diana RWS 34 .177 specs at 1000fps. and they have faster models (1650fps). A 9mm pistol round travels 1247fps. It's not your old Red Ryder. :D

900 fps on mine. I had to wait three days for a background check.. LOL [emoji38]

It's about time! I am still waiting to see (anywhere in the USA) a federal charge for shooting at an aircraft.

Are you familiar with modern, made for adult pellet guns? They come in several calibers, .177 & .22 being the most popular. Many people hunt game with them. My Diana RWS 34 .177 specs at 1000fps. and they have faster models (1650fps). A 9mm pistol round travels 1247fps. It's not your old Red Ryder. :D
Yes I am, I have a few myself. Its likely the reporter who wrote the story had no idea though and was trying to make it more than it was. In the end the guys drone was shot down by a pellet gun.

Reactions: Thegman
Yes I am, I have a few myself. Its likely the reporter who wrote the story had no idea though and was trying to make it more than it was. In the end the guys drone was shot down by a pellet gun.
I read your post and thought maybe you were thinking 'no way a pellet gun would be powerful enough'.
He must have been really lucky or very skilled to hit that quad! :D

The guy has an indictment proceeding in Jackson County Court the morning of November 21. We'll see what the court does.

Reactions: copterbob
To hit it with a pellet gun at range means the thing was probably on his property. I am guessing nothing happens to this guy.

Mine is about 900 FPS and to knock a drone out, you have to be super lucky.

To hit it with a pellet gun at range means the thing was probably on his property. I am guessing nothing happens to this guy.

Mine is about 900 FPS and to knock a drone out, you have to be super lucky.
Read the link in the first post. He was in a recreational area when he shot down the drone.

UPDATE- the arraignment/indictment hearing was today...

Looks like they are moving forward with the felony charge; a pretrial conference appears to have been subsequently scheduled for the day after Xmas.

This is from the (publicly-available online) court schedule for Jackson County (Oregon) Circuit Court...the defendant is the person named in the news articles (and news release from the Jackson Co. Sheriff's Dept.) as the shooter.
b099c9891f602f21197481ff478d7f15.jpg

UPDATE- the arraignment/indictment hearing was today...

Looks like they are moving forward with the felony charge; a pretrial conference appears to have been subsequently scheduled for the day after Xmas.

This is from the (publicly-available online) court schedule for Jackson County (Oregon) Circuit Court...the defendant is the person named in the news articles (and news release from the Jackson Co. Sheriff's Dept.) as the shooter.
b099c9891f602f21197481ff478d7f15.jpg

Excellent. Thanks for the update.

Reactions: copterbob
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78