DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Guy flying drone over thousands!

He is just lucky he crashed into a tree and didn't slice someone's skin up. Imagine if the blades hit someone in the face. He'd be facing some serious state charges, lawsuits and FAA discipline. A friend of mine tried grabbing my air2s from the top and cut his hands slightly, but it sure did bleed a lot. No deep cuts occurred, just superficial. No stitches needed. A few band aids and he was ok. I'm glad I didn't have those new really sharp Master Airscrew blades on, which I do now. I got the orange ones, so they can be seen easily.

What are the “unintended negative consequences” of the regulations in this case?

Also, as far as reducing risk to zero - you can (at least for those people who obey the laws). You make drone flying illegal! However, it’s in everyone’s interest to reduce risk as much as is practically possible, which is what the current legislation seeks to achieve.
Drone flying will never be illegal in the USA. Risks can never be reduced to zero by obeying the laws, even when followed to the letter. Operating any type of vehicle is not without risk (death and accidents are routine every day occurrences even when following all the laws). Even walking down the street, you are taking a risk (ever sprain your ankle?). Just getting out of bed is a risk (ever stub your toe or even broke it?). Being born is a risk. China fixed that one. Now they limit families to 2 children. It used to be one. ? ?

If I saw someone risking harm to individuals I would have reported it. Idiots like this affect us all and could make things more difficult to the pilot’s that just want to enjoy what regulations allow.

Risks can never be reduced to zero by obeying the laws, even when followed to the letter.
So, if drone flying was made illegal (however unlikely you think that may be) and you obeyed this law and didn't fly, what would be the remaining risk?

You still haven't said what the "unintended negative consequences" of the regulations are.

According to the calculator in your link, even a Mavic Mini exceeds 11 ft/lbs if higher than 20’ AGL.
Agree and with the propeller guards (requirement for Category 1) Mavic Mini I believe is over the weight and into Category 2. Probably the main reason that DJI doesn't sell the Japanese battery to US markets as it would allow it to be flown as Category 1 including prop guards and then there may be potential liability issues.

That's certainly true. And it's also true that the folks who write the laws are often not only not well versed in the subject, but their motivation is often simply to pander to the ignorant and uninformed in their base instead of enacting something with real usefulness. But since we elect those people ... as others have often said, we get the government we deserve.
Thomas Jefferson once said: We don't have a government elected by the majority, we have a government elected by the majority that participate." About 25% of all eligible voters vote in any given election. More than half of the eligible voters in the United States are not even registered to vote. Get people to vote and we can actually have the government we deserve.

It just takes one moron to
to screw it up for everyone else. ?
If you follow certain books - Cain comes to mind ... lol. Or was it Eve?

Sorry - couldn't resist. Most religions have their proverbial bad apple; wait did I just say bad apple? That's bad pomegranate, not apple!

All puns aside - most laws - rather most regulations - come from people who are not elected. Did we elect the chair of the FCC? Did we elect the chair of the FAA? Did we elect anyone they hired? What about the congressional aide or the corporate sponsor that actually wrote the law being considered and passed?

Our system is too big; the republic is doomed, like a drone that just broke in two at altitude, just a matter of watching it fall.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU