DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Guy flying drone over thousands!

You've just cited two ways in which your personal flight data could become public without your consent... and we haven't even see the RID software yet. If your computer can be hacked by a skilled 6th grader, or your car's fob can be hacked easily, you can bet it wouldn't take much to for an ambitious person to develop a tool for those who would love to invade your privacy.

You mark my words, this RID stuff is only the proverbial Canary in the coal mine. I wonder what George Orwell would be writing today were he still alive.
I prefer reason over paranoia.

There is no personal information (except location) being sent out via RID package elements. There is no way for anyone to find that info via RID information. Period. It's not tied to the FAA data base.

Reactions: Moozer and ckoerner
It's morons like this who make lots of citizens demand that legislators/regulators do something about ... etc etc.

Fixed that for you. The overkill comes from people like us ... the topics are just different.
Not quite. A FEW ideologue loudmouths use specific instances to yell at similarly-minded lawmakers to “fix” the problem when the vast majority don’t see or think there’s a problem.

Reactions: thispilothere
Surprised I hadn't heard of this. I live in Bloomington/Normal. May hear something later. Too bad for the drone, and glad no one was hit, but happy he crashed it. Wonder if a lesson was learned? Probably not.

The demand for stricter (and unnecessary or wrong-headed) laws of all sorts tend to come from (sadly) largely from those who know little about the subject. And often those laws are written with all sorts of negative unintended consequences, when in fact the existing laws, were they enforced in most cases are all that's necessary to stop the unwanted action.
The problem is that what little they do know...they find out from incidents like this...and in all fairness...you can't blame them for having a negative impression......

I attended a cross country state race in Bloomington, Illinois. Thousands of participants and audience were lined up together. I noticed a man flying a Mavic air 2 over all these people. Not only did he fly over thousands with out proper permission, or really at all, he took off in the middle of a crowd not 2 feet away. This man was flying recklessly and ended up crashing his drone into a 60 foot tree. Luckily it didn’t fall on anyone, but if it had fallen. Someone would’ve gotten hurt. This is a prime example of a reckless person who doesn’t know the first thing about drones.
Why didn’t anyone call the police on him?
The regulations are already in place.
what should’ve happened was, someone should’ve picked up their phone, and dialed 911.
After all, flying a drone over thousands of innocent people IS an emergency!

Why didn’t anyone call the police on him?
The regulations are already in place.
what should’ve happened was, someone should’ve picked up their phone, and dialed 911.
After all, flying a drone over thousands of innocent people IS an emergency!
I think bothering 911 with this is a waste of resources. Finding a cop in the area would be fine, but 911 shouldn't be used for something like this.

The problem is that what little they do know...they find out from incidents like this...and in all fairness...you can't blame them for having a negative impression......
The problem with this as well as other (assumed) "well meaning" legislation is YOU CANNOT REDUCE RISK TO ZERO and as you try to do so you subject the public to other unintended negative consequences. Secondarily, you cannot maintain overkill. There are so many rules and regulations that don't do what they promised, or was draconian in approach... and people (even government) began to and maintain ignoring the laws and regulations when they should be scrapped and shouldn't have been written in the first place. Just look around and you'll trip over a bushel basket of them.

I think bothering 911 with this is a waste of resources. Finding a cop in the area would be fine, but 911 shouldn't be used for something like this.
Well, when something like this happens, and there’s no cops around, something needs to be done.
Because all it takes is a malfunction, and several people become targets.
there’s a reason drones aren’t allowed over crowds, and a violation of this magnitude needs to be taken seriously, and reported promptly.

Well, when something like this happens, and there’s no cops around, something needs to be done.
Because all it takes is a malfunction, and several people become targets.
there’s a reason drones aren’t allowed over crowds, and a violation of this magnitude needs to be taken seriously, and reported promptly.
Best thing to do is find the drone flyer and educate them. Let the cops do the serious work.

Best thing to do is find the drone flyer and educate them. Let the cops do the serious work.
Problem is, the pilot already has an attitude, (Because they already know better) and I guarantee things will escalate quickly if you confront them.
Chances are slim, they’ll thank you and immediately land in a safe place.
While it could happen, I’d highly doubt it.
even if they were ignorant of the regulations, your informing them is only going to trigger them, and make them cop an attitude.
the bad thing about directly confronting them is, while they’re going off on you, they aren’t paying attention to their drone, and during the ensuing argument, the people below are even more in danger of something tragic happening.
it’s much better, if the person taping them on the shoulder, is a cop in uniform.
it takes the chip off their shoulder quickly.
and if it doesn’t, the officer is a lot better trained at handling the individual that you as a concerned drone pilot…

Reactions: DoomMeister
Problem is, the pilot already has an attitude, (Because they already know better) and I guarantee things will escalate quickly if you confront them.
Chances are slim, they’ll thank you and immediately land in a safe place.
While it could happen, I’d highly doubt it.
even if they were ignorant of the regulations, your informing them is only going to trigger them, and make them cop an attitude.
the bad thing about directly confronting them is, while they’re going off on you, they aren’t paying attention to their drone, and during the ensuing argument, the people below are even more in danger of something tragic happening.
it’s much better, if the person taping them on the shoulder, is a cop in uniform.
it takes the chip off their shoulder quickly.
and if it doesn’t, the officer is a lot better trained at handling the individual that you as a concerned drone pilot…
Actually, I'm trained pretty well to handle these. This is one of the things I do with the FAA. ?

It just takes one moron to
to screw it up for everyone else. ?

Its not just drone...however they seems to have the spotlight on them when things go wrong, Idiots arent confined to drones, we have them with weapons, cars, booze, boats..you name it everything attracts Idiots drones are not different.

The problem with this as well as other (assumed) "well meaning" legislation is YOU CANNOT REDUCE RISK TO ZERO and as you try to do so you subject the public to other unintended negative consequences.
What are the “unintended negative consequences” of the regulations in this case?

Also, as far as reducing risk to zero - you can (at least for those people who obey the laws). You make drone flying illegal! However, it’s in everyone’s interest to reduce risk as much as is practically possible, which is what the current legislation seeks to achieve.

Aside from the legalities and proprieties of the flight, how did he crash it into a tree? I thought these drones had sensors to prevent such accidents.
Do we know the drone manufacturer? If not, it could have been one of those cheap inexpensive ones without sensors. He also may have gotten distracted with all those people around him. If he was a newbie, a crash wouldn't be that uncommon. I think he was a new drone hobbyist, thus his disregard for certain rules as well as the crash. He probably barely knew what he was doing and wanted to impress those around him. Watch me! Watch me! ?

Do we know the drone manufacturer? If not, it could have been one of those cheap inexpensive ones without sensors. He also may have gotten distracted with all those people around him. If he was a newbie, a crash wouldn't be that uncommon. I think he was a new drone hobbyist, thus his disregard for certain rules as well as the crash. He probably barely knew what he was doing and wanted to impress those around him. Watch me! Watch me! ?
He probably had his sensors turned off.

I attended a cross country state race in Bloomington, Illinois. Thousands of participants and audience were lined up together. I noticed a man flying a Mavic air 2 over all these people. Not only did he fly over thousands with out proper permission, or really at all, he took off in the middle of a crowd not 2 feet away. This man was flying recklessly and ended up crashing his drone into a 60 foot tree. Luckily it didn’t fall on anyone, but if it had fallen. Someone would’ve gotten hurt. This is a prime example of a reckless person who doesn’t know the first thing about drones.
What in the world...

Aside from the legalities and proprieties of the flight, how did he crash it into a tree? I thought these drones had sensors to prevent such accidents.
“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

Aristophanese

Reactions: scoble08
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143