DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

H.265 vs h.264

Starcruiser

Reactions
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum! This topic is NOT a discussion on which codec is more superior. I do not wish to create or start any debates here. I am actually looking for some help.

I only film in 1080p 60FPS. I am willing to try other frame rates in the future, but I do this to create a constant standard for myself because I am new to video editing and it is one less variable for me to consider when trouble shooting problems during the editing process.

Okay so so last week I filmed in h.264 (normal color mode) and made a really cool video edit in Adobe premier pro. I exported in h.264 codec format, posted it to YouTube and everything worked as it intended! Yay, awesome.

This week I filmed in h.265 (d-log-m color mode) to try to take advantage of the 10-bit color and came back home to make another cool video edit.

I followed the exact same process of editing as I did in my previous h.264 video edit, but of course when exporting I exported this time in h.265 codec format thinking it would match up. As I went to review the file before posting to YouTube to check the quality of content, I saw what looked like extreme color distortion. (I attached an example of what it looks like during playback...)

So I decided to try again and export this same video edit in h.264 codec format thinking maybe my laptop just couldn’t handle the processing power needed for h.265; however the results are the same! Mad color distortion through the entire clip!

I run an i5 cpu with intel graphics card, a 1050TI GPU, 256ssd and 8GB of ram on my PC. Not the best specs, but apparently good enough for h.264(normal) video editing. But not good enough for h.265(d-log-m) video editing maybe?

I do plan on charging up 2 batteries 2moro just to record a few test sample videos, and I think a good place to start would be to record a video in h.265(normal) instead of (D-log-m).If the issue happens again in h.265 Normal color mode then I will just film in h.264 from now on, and take the loss on the stellar footage I captured in h.265 (D-log-m)..

If anyone can help me out I’d really appreciate it. I’ve spent hours trying different export combinations only to have the same results. No matter how I try to export this video edit it turns out looking color scrambled/distorted.

Some side notes;

The original h.265 video files play back somewhat choppy on windows 10 Photos and Windows Media player. BUT, the editing process is super smooth when reviewing/editing these h.265 videos in Adobe premier pro.

I uploaded one of the original h.265 video files directly to YouTube and it plays back perfectly. It is only when I try to export the videos in Adobe premier pro that I get this issue. So I know it’s not an issue with the mavic 2 pro.

It’s either an issue with my computer hardware specs not being up to the task, or an issue with my Adobe export settings.

Once again, any help would be appreciated. I’ll do my best to pay it forward and help out when I can contribute good information on these forums. Thank you!

Attachments

• 339E02A0-D07C-41CB-93A7-5EB3D5D59E36.png
    339E02A0-D07C-41CB-93A7-5EB3D5D59E36.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
You are going to need the Codec. Microsoft charge $.99 cents for it. I personally bought it and works better than the free version.

Here is the free version.

@fguthrie I watched both videos played together at the same time on my web browser, and from what I can see I believe the gridded section of the video is where the details tend to get a little distorted/blended, the lines tend to blur together, both on 30FPS, and 60FPS, but maybe more so on 60FPS?

@new2mavic , What an excellent way to compare the 2 different frame rates! Most frame rate comparison videos on youtube are of 2 similar but still different scenes, making it hard to really decipher and compare the differences between the 2 frame rates being compared. Mad props (lol) to you for sitting the mavic 2 pro down, and finding a way to test both frame rates with an identical subject matter with gimbal speed/direction being very close controlled variables. It really is a great test, and as close to perfection as I have seen so far on the internet. Once again, mad props! I'm thinking this tiny detail difference between frame rates may be something that is potentially noticeable on something with lots of details, for example on trees with lots of leaves blowing in the wind. Would love to hear more of your perspective on how you personally assess this comparison.

I will absolutely be trying 30FPS, as well as 24FPS eventually, but just not at this very moment while I'm learning the video editing process. A lot of my subject matter contains lots of motion (waves) and I personally do enjoy the unnaturally crisp look of 60FPS with so much motion and detail. (of course, the 30FPS may truly be where it is at as you are suggesting, but as a noobie editor I am just trying to find a fun starting point.)

@zeusfl Thank you so much for that recommendation. My computer had capabilities of playing back H.265, but with lots of jitters. I got the $0.99 version of the HEVC codec extension and now these videos are playing back flawlessly. I will report back on if I find success within the video editing process. Once again, I truly do thank you for your suggestion.

You are going to need the Codec. Microsoft charge $.99 cents for it. I personally bought it and works better than the free version.

Here is the free version.
That.. or K-lite codec pack

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851