DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

H265 Capable Computer

greggerz

Reactions
Hi All. New to the Mavic 2 Pro and this forum. Turns out my macbook pro (circa 2014?) isn't capable to handle H265 videos.....time to upgrade!

What is a cheap (or relatively affordable) off-the-shelf laptop or desktop option to handle H265? I'm considering the mac mini m1, but open to other potential options. I'm not doing a ton of heavy video editing, mostly just stringing/cutting together landscape shots (fairly simple). Thanks!

I think an M1 Mac Mini would be fine as would probably the previous generations Mini's from 2020 & 2018. if you can find a deal on a BTO model perhaps with a faster processor in the prior generations would also aid with better performances of course.

Hi All. New to the Mavic 2 Pro and this forum. Turns out my macbook pro (circa 2014?) isn't capable to handle H265 videos.....time to upgrade!

What is a cheap (or relatively affordable) off-the-shelf laptop or desktop option to handle H265? I'm considering the mac mini m1, but open to other potential options. I'm not doing a ton of heavy video editing, mostly just stringing/cutting together landscape shots (fairly simple). Thanks!
VLC video software supports the H.265 codec. Most computers made in the last 10 years can play H.265 with the right codec. But the video card and it's level of memory will be important to play it at a normal rate.

265 is a codec for the future and serves no real purpose currently unless you’re a top end professional.
For domestic purposes, just stick to 264 buddy

Reactions: dmiles119
265 is a codec for the future and serves no real purpose currently unless you’re a top end professional.
For domestic purposes, just stick to 264 buddy
I have a 32 core AMD Threadripper and a 6K capable Video Card. I only have a little trouble playing full 8k at max on my Monitor. No one can get the GTX 3080 or 3090 video cards needed for the 8k to play at 60fps. There is the shortage, but also, everyone has bought them to mine bitcoins. What a disaster.

Reactions: dmiles119
I think an M1 Mac Mini would be fine as would probably the previous generations Mini's from 2020 & 2018. if you can find a deal on a BTO model perhaps with a faster processor in the prior generations would also aid with better performances of course.
I just got a Mini M1. It's only got 8GB of RAM but in DaVinci Resolve, it will playback my 4K/60fps H.265 footage without dropping a frame. That is without lowering the resolution for playback, proxies or optimized media. Once you start adding things like transitions, color corrections and the like it will drop some frames but nowhere near my 2013 MacBook Pro. Make proxies and you should be golden, or spend the extra and get the M1 Mini with 16GB of RAM. I'm amazed at how well it does running footage off of my NAS. That's not even loaded on the machine itself.

I believe the iPad Pro with M1 chip can run 265.
ive made the m1 ipad crunch 100mbit hevc 4k30 from my gopro, 470mbit hevc 4k30 10 bit from my r5, and even 8k raw from the r5. the hardware can absolutely handle it. the software sucks nuts though. lumafusion is by far the best thing going on ipad os, but its not even close to the likes of premiere pro or davinci resolve. ive got a pretty high end pc that can crank through most of the same footage in Resolve Studio, but im limited big time by the graphics market being totally pooched these days.

for the OPs needs lumafusion may work great and the ipad pro m1 will certainly do the job, but if it were my money i wouldnt waste it on the overpriced ipad (company paid for this one) and would easily consider the macbook air or mac mini as those aren't limited by the OS the way ipads still are. both of those options are easily cheaper than the 12.9in pro, and give you the software choices of a full OS.

Last edited:
Reactions: greggerz
I just got a Mini M1. It's only got 8GB of RAM but in DaVinci Resolve, it will playback my 4K/60fps H.265 footage without dropping a frame. That is without lowering the resolution for playback, proxies or optimized media. Once you start adding things like transitions, color corrections and the like it will drop some frames but nowhere near my 2013 MacBook Pro. Make proxies and you should be golden, or spend the extra and get the M1 Mini with 16GB of RAM. I'm amazed at how well it does running footage off of my NAS. That's not even loaded on the machine itself.
Thanks, this is good to know. Yes - if i went with the M1 mini, i would get the 16gb ram option. Appreciate the input/feedback!

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc

before buying a new computer have you tried editing with proxy? This is a lower level resolution I think and the computer will allow you to edit but in the final output/export it will export as a full resolution file
Dale
Miami

ive made the m1 ipad crunch 100mbit hevc 4k30 from my gopro, 470mbit hevc 4k30 10 bit from my r5, and even 8k raw from the r5. the hardware can absolutely handle it. the software sucks nuts though. lumafusion is by far the best thing going on ipad os, but its not even close to the likes of premiere pro or davinci resolve. ive got a pretty high end pc that can crank through most of the same footage in Resolve Studio, but im limited big time by the graphics market being totally pooched these days.

for the OPs needs lumafusion may work great and the ipad pro m1 will certainly do the job, but if it were my money i wouldnt waste it on the overpriced ipad (company paid for this one) and would easily consider the macbook air or mac mini as those aren't limited by the OS the way ipads still are. both of those options are easily cheaper than the 12.9in pro, and give you the software choices of a full OS.
Version 3.0 of LumaFusion is all I need—my videos are only for customers who want them for the web (mostly RE). And the bonus is, I can sit outside under a sun umbrella while working on a project, and move just about anywhere else I like, to continue—including a train or aircraft. Couldn’t do that with a desktop and the 12.9 inch Pro is so much easier to cart about than most laptops.

Reactions: mtb.arizona
Version 3.0 of LumaFusion is all I need—my videos are only for customers who want them for the web (mostly RE). And the bonus is, I can sit outside under a sun umbrella while working on a project, and move just about anywhere else I like, to continue—including a train or aircraft. Couldn’t do that with a desktop and the 12.9 inch Pro is so much easier to cart about than most laptops.
Portability (so I can edit while having a cigar on the balcony) is the #1 reason I'm kinda eyeballing a a macbook option. I can already do the LumaFusion route with the iPad now, but for me, Davinci Resolve is what I'm more familiar with, and what I use elsewhere.

Regardless, that M1 chip is a **** beauty, and a lot easier to find in stock right now than just about any other chunk of silicon!

Reactions: RobW01
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura