DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Had a crash, and now I (sometimes) have weird vertical lines. What to do?

nle

Reactions
A couple of days ago I had a crash with my Mavic Pro (third time flying with it). I flew into a small tree (~2 m above ground, so not high), and instead of playing it cool and try to fly back out, I panicked and killed the engine.

The problem is that instead of falling into the soft tall grass, it hit a plank that was lying in the wrong place. It hit it head on, so the top plastic part separated a little bit.

It seemed to work fine, except for the plastic part, so I got it home and managed to click the plastic back on in place (it was a tiny part of a "locking part" that had broken off, but that does not seem to be a problem).

IMG_3380-edited_JPG.jpg

Today I went out to test it more thoroughly, and I noticed that the image on the phone had vertical lines and that the gimbal sometimes started to recalibrate mid-air.

Video:
vlcsnap-2017-12-27-16h10m12s784.png

Screenshot from phone:
AD852BD5-889F-4BC3-992F-A114221F5363.png

The thing is that the image is sometimes normal, and sometimes not (vertical lines). That leads me to believe it is a bad contact somewhere. Could a bad connection trigger the gimbal to recalibrate mid-air?

I'm thinking about opening it and trying to see if I can spot a bad contact, and see if that helps, and if not – I'll probably try to send it in for repair (I don't have any insurance since my country is not supported by DJI care)

Appreciate any advice on this?

(I found this Phantom forum post looks that looks a bit similar.)

TLDR:
- Crashed the drone, it fell on its nose onto a wooden plank.
- The front part of the top lid popped up a bit, but I was able to click it back in place.
- Image quality is sometimes fine, and sometimes not – showing vertical lines (see screenshot)
- This leads me to believe it is a bad contact somewhere.
- What to do?

Last edited:
A couple of days ago I had a crash with my Mavic Pro (third time flying with it). I flew into a small tree (~2 m above ground, so not high), and instead of playing it cool and try to fly back out, I panicked and killed the engine.

The problem is that instead of falling into the soft tall grass, it hit a plank that was lying in the wrong place. It hit it head on, so the top plastic part separated a little bit.

It seemed to work fine, except for the plastic part, so I got it home and managed to click the plastic back on in place (it was a tiny part of a "locking part" that had broken off, but that does not seem to be a problem).

View attachment 27481

Today I went out to test it more thoroughly, and I noticed that the image on the phone had vertical lines and that the gimbal sometimes started to recalibrate mid-air.

View attachment 27482

The thing is that the image is normal sometimes, and sometimes not. That leads me to believe it is a bad contact somewhere. Could a bad connection trigger the gimbal to recalibrate mid-air?

I'm thinking about opening it and trying to see if I can spot a bad contact, and see if that helps, and if not – I'll probably try to send it in for repair (I don't have any insurance since my country is not supported by DJI care)

Appreciate any advice on this?

(I found this Phantom forum post looks that looks a bit similar.)

TLDR:
- Crashed the drone, it fell on its nose onto a wooden plank.
- The front part of the top lid popped up a bit, but I was able to click it back in place.
- Image quality is sometimes fine, and sometimes not – showing vertical lines (see screenshot)
- This leads me to believe it is a bad contact somewhere.
- What to do?
Howdy from Wyoming nle, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here. I believe @Thunderdrones may be able to help you with your issues. Good luck.

Reactions: nle
Thanks @Bunny Too, been lurking for a while, so it was a natural place to ask for help.

I'm hoping to get a few inputs. I still haven't had the tools or the time available to try to open it and see. Maybe I'll get some time tomorrow.

The whole crash bugs me as hell, stupid me. Hope I'm able to fix it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonali6