DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Had a friendly drone encounter with construction workers today

Status
Not open for further replies.
And no one calls out the one calling out the OP for suggesting a flying cone? Talk about illegal and dangerous!
Oh yeah flinging cones at drones is illegal I think

I dodged backpacks and sticks alot so I learn defensive flying and even offensive flying when it comes to stuff being thrown (unfortunately where I live it has to come to that)

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
You violated so many laws that I wish I had been there and I would have introduced you to the REAL top sign and taken your drone out!!! Your total disregard of safe flying rules probably means you are flying without any FAA authorizations, TRUST Certificate, etc...

I noticed that you edited a lot out but at 1:15 you flew over a guy on a scooter, at 1:35, 6:07, 7:46, and 8:53, you flew over operating vehicles, all violations of the law... And that is just thee first video...

I hope the FAA sees your videos and pursues you. People like you make it rough for the rest of us to fly legally.
1655472988161.png

You violated so many laws that I wish I had been there and I would have introduced you to the REAL top sign and taken your drone out!!!
Pretty funny how you, on one hand, bash the guy for violating FAA rules and on the other hand threaten to violate them yourself...only difference? His mistakes were not "legal" ones that would get him arrested only fined...maybe. Then you threaten take down his drone which would get you arrested for interfering with an aircraft...felony arrest. LOL.

It seems that I am being made out to be an ogre for taking exception to this young person flying their drone up and down a street in their hometown. The drone is flown low and slow over people and vehicles and it hovered near a traffic control person, just trying to do their job.

This is illegal and downright dangerous. It does not matter if it is done innocently or not, the drone can cause serious injury or worse.

If I was out in the street trying to control traffic to ensure the vehicles and pedestrian were safe, I would be both distracted and creeped out by a drone hovering over me. I would consider this harassment and I would probably have tested his skill at advoiding a "flying" traffic cone…

The OP wrote that the construction people were trying to signal him, but even when they flashed the STOP Sign at him, he missed the point.

The OP wrote to me and I am not going to go on defending my position nor am I going to notify the FAA, I'm not a cop, but that does not mean that the construction workers did not tell their supervisors about this and they notify the authorities. It was not like he just visited the area, he hovered, he stayed, and since there is a second video, he probably went back…

Yeah, he (the OP) is just 16-years old, and so were the two kids from my subdivision (I did not know them…) who skipped out of school last Friday, took the family SUV for a joy ride and crashed at high speed, head-on into a tractor trailer, killing them both. The whole county seems to be mourning their loss. I'm just thankful they hit a tractor trailer and not a school bus full of children. And no one is saying anything about the driver of the tractor trailer who hit those kids, killing them, and having to live with that knowledge for the rest of his life…

Having to say you are sorry for doing something you know is wrong never hacks it….
Please stop being the grumpy old man. You are giving so many false claims. First, stop using the word "illegal". Nothing here is a violation of law, only FAA regulations. Illegal would mean he could get arrested. No....he could get fined by the FAA at worst, but most likely just a discussion on the regulations.

You obviously need to brush up on Part 107 and comparing this to two kids stealing a car and getting killed is well, just too ridiculous to go any further.

Give the kid a break, it's better to give him guidance than to spout grumpy old man threats. We all have made mistakes starting out flying drones. Hell, I've made quite a few before I started really learning the rules and going after my 107. Looking back I shake my head at some of the silly things I did like flying in State Parks, too high, over people, and moving vehicles. But as I learned and got ADVICE I became a more responsible pilot. As you said, he's 16....teach, don't admonish. Don't be THAT guy.

It seems that I am being made out to be an ogre for taking exception to this young person flying their drone up and down a street in their hometown. The drone is flown low and slow over people and vehicles and it hovered near a traffic control person, just trying to do their job.

This is illegal and downright dangerous. It does not matter if it is done innocently or not, the drone can cause serious injury or worse.

If I was out in the street trying to control traffic to ensure the vehicles and pedestrian were safe, I would be both distracted and creeped out by a drone hovering over me. I would consider this harassment and I would probably have tested his skill at advoiding a "flying" traffic cone…

The OP wrote that the construction people were trying to signal him, but even when they flashed the STOP Sign at him, he missed the point.

The OP wrote to me and I am not going to go on defending my position nor am I going to notify the FAA, I'm not a cop, but that does not mean that the construction workers did not tell their supervisors about this and they notify the authorities. It was not like he just visited the area, he hovered, he stayed, and since there is a second video, he probably went back…

Yeah, he (the OP) is just 16-years old, and so were the two kids from my subdivision (I did not know them…) who skipped out of school last Friday, took the family SUV for a joy ride and crashed at high speed, head-on into a tractor trailer, killing them both. The whole county seems to be mourning their loss. I'm just thankful they hit a tractor trailer and not a school bus full of children. And no one is saying anything about the driver of the tractor trailer who hit those kids, killing them, and having to live with that knowledge for the rest of his life…

Having to say you are sorry for doing something you know is wrong never hacks it….
Loud Thunder you are not at all an ogre! You are one the few brave people willing to call out behavior like this. The OP used to have a different screen name that was DOC something. He is always looking for attention. If we were in a small in person setting we could assist. He has escalated over time and this is a poor example of being a responsible drone pilot. People have fallen for this for a year or more. I have sincere hope that the OP seeks counsel to assist him to a good path in life. I do no think he is being malicious (although illegal often) but is desperate for attention. Pretty sure I will save time and block the OP and live life without these particular posts. Maybe if we called out bad behavior and offered genuine help society would be better off. Kids do need guidance but you can't turn the other way and say that wrong is right! Good luck and I wish the OP sincere best wishes.

Loud Thunder you are not at all an ogre! You are one the few brave people willing to call out behavior like this. The OP used to have a different screen name that was DOC something. He is always looking for attention. If we were in a small in person setting we could assist. He has escalated over time and this is a poor example of being a responsible drone pilot. People have fallen for this for a year or more. I have sincere hope that the OP seeks counsel to assist him to a good path in life. I do no think he is being malicious (although illegal often) but is desperate for attention. Pretty sure I will save time and block the OP and live life without these particular posts. Maybe if we called out bad behavior and offered genuine help society would be better off. Kids do need guidance but you can't turn the other way and say that wrong is right! Good luck and I wish the OP sincere best wishes.
So wait, this kid is DOC? Ok, see why some people are upset, but still does not change my view on LT's tone and inflammatory incorrect comments.

So let me help you out my young friend.

To understand a little more of why this type of flying is a dangerous regardless of any rules by the FAA.

At 6:04 seconds the new guy laying out the Cones almost gets swiped by a car, was totally not paying Attention.

This leads me to one of the Most Important Aspect of flying a Drone I can Teach you, DISTRACTION !

The Problem with this type of flying is that they need to be watching every second for what Car is coming and going not only so they dont crash but also so they dont turn into the machine and Hole in the road and kill someone.

Its not always going to be about the FAA laws, its always going to be Common sense !
Are you putting anyone at risk, ?
Are you putting anyone in Danger. ?

Despite all the laws that I may not follow as Directed by the FAA , I never break those Common Sense laws .

We will never know the FAA rule book but we can always have Common Sense to see where things can go really wrong and if you follow Common sense , you can be a good pilot , maybe not great but better than most.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.
Well said, in an educational tone vs the brash, bully approach. Quite a nice contrast. Your style is much more productive.

Today I was flying exploring looking for friends and I come across construction people

It was hot out, I would had kept flying for so much longer
But the heat made me weak and lightheaded

I try to figure out what hand signals they are trying to signel to me to do stuff like spin and shake and wiggle and stuff
I did tricks for them
Made them happy
Now they will have a story to tell to thier wife and kids when they go home
I am happy
Not just disregarding FAA regulations, but I believe you were very annoying to these guys.

Last edited:
You've changed your name since last year. The giveaway Is the mugshot included in your video. I could not forget that face.
I know I change my name it was once doc ASMR
I changed it because I don't do ASMR anymore
(if you even know what that means)

Kywon:
I like your videos. Expand your creativity, but do so safely. Have you taken the TRUST exam - it is very easy, more and an education than a test. Please look into it.
I had the pleasure of meeting this young man who is also autistic, and I thought you might enjoy seeing his creativity. His photos are just amazing. Nothing to do with drones, but he has an eye for composition.
Check him out: 登录或注册即可查看
I copied and pasted the above link from FaceBook. This young man lives here in the Puget Sound area. I have no idea why the link appears in Chinese? Still works though to take you to his FB page.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
Ok guys just deleted 7 post,6 in clean up 1 just plain rude 🤨
Lets chill guys. Let’s educate our younger members not chastise them
dc

Ok guys just deleted 7 post,6 in clean up 1 just plain rude 🤨
Lets chill guys. Let’s educate our younger members not chastise them
dc
Thx friend

Reactions: dirkclod
Hey
Is attachment meant for me?
You call faa on me?
Am I am going to jail?!
No , that was not what he meant, Drone Police are those in the Forum that point out very quickly that laws are being broken You are fine , just learn from all the great advice given to you,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: Torque and dirkclod
No , that was not what he meant, Drone Police are those in the Forum that point out very quickly that laws are being broken You are fine , just learn from all the great advice given to you,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
Oh I am so relieved....
What I was going to do was go into the writers messages and beg him not to report me lol

I think this thread should be shut down
I learned from my mistakes already and I don't wanna see anything about me breaking fast rules because I GET IT

Also I am gonna be honest
I look back at my old post and threads
Even though i really didn't mean to come off as such
Even I say
Yes
It looks like I am a attention seeker
But I am not actually
I try not to mind it when people call me that
But this attention seeking accusation
This troll thing
This false age thing this
stuff