DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Had my first crazy neighbor experience...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in a Condo and decided to practice with the Mini.
A human living in an apartment building next door started screaming at me to get my ( Mod Removed Language)“thing” away from his car. I was so surprised by his reaction that I apologized and just moved it elsewhere. Some people are so intimidated by drones they feel its an invasion of their privacy or that you are spying on them. Best to defuse the situation and move on.
Yet go to google earth, zoom in....there 'they' are, but scream at google for invading privacy???

I don't like flying over neighbors houses. One of these day's we'll all have drones but that's not the case now.

Where I live and fly overseas, it is completely illegal to fly in a residential area. I guess laws are different back stateside.

Where i live different counties have different rules that are different from city and different from state. Parks are not allowed, cannot fly over private property, cannot fly in state parks or national parks. So, to me it seems like there are no legal places to fly

It's such a shame when folk can't find anything better to do than whinge and interfere and I suppose things flying above their neighbourhoods are just easy targets for the moaning Minnie's.

We have a neighbour who regularly whinges about the buzzards which we love to see flying around here. "They're so noisy and always screeching"! Unbelievable!!

Everyone has a different personality and will respond to confrontation in their own way. My personal experience is that if a person is of the mind to confront someone else on an issue, it will be quite difficult to 'talk' them down. Not impossible, but not likely. Often, the only real response to a bully is to tell him that if he wants to keep his teeth in his mouth, then he needs to keep a civil tongue in his mouth. But you do have to able to back that up. If one can't, then they should back down. But then they have the very real possibility of re-visiting that situation.

It's also interesting that a previous poster was fearful of something that he clearly does not understand--firearms. Similar to the fear that the OP experienced from his neighbor about the drone.

Ignorance=fear=irrational reaction

Reactions: MMPerrish
I usually fly between 200 and 300 ft on my way to and from a destination. Even exploring. At that altitude, the drone is almost silent. And very difficult to see. I have had neighbors shoot at it before when I used to fly it lower.

Everyone has a different personality and will respond to confrontation in their own way. My personal experience is that if a person is of the mind to confront someone else on an issue, it will be quite difficult to 'talk' them down. Not impossible, but not likely. Often, the only real response to a bully is to tell him that if he wants to keep his teeth in his mouth, then he needs to keep a civil tongue in his mouth. But you do have to able to back that up. If one can't, then they should back down. But then they have the very real possibility of re-visiting that situation.

It's also interesting that a previous poster was fearful of something that he clearly does not understand--firearms. Similar to the fear that the OP experienced from his neighbor about the drone.

Ignorance=fear=irrational reaction
Bad advice.
Guys I’ve seen seversl negative post in this and if I see 1 more this
thread will be closed.

Well it took a few months but it finally happened!

I was showing my father in law (big aviation enthusiast) my Mav Mini and flying at a legal and safe altitude exploring the neighborhood and showing off the drones capabilities when a neighbor a few houses down walked up with a puffed chest and a chip on his shoulder. He claimed I was “flying into his backyard“ and “spying on him and inside his backyard” which was simply not true and technically impossible.

He followed it up with “just wanted to see who owned this before I took it out of the sky” which I informed him with the legal issue of that he claimed “he had a way around the FAA”.

I expected for people to ask questions but the blatant hostility was a bit out of left field. I guess if you have things to hide you get twitchy seeing a drone 150ft up passing though... yikes.

Fly safe all!

Hindsight is 20/20 of course. If you ever encounter him again, you might humbly ask which house is his so you can try to avoid it. It’s a trap of course. And maybe get a clandestine video of the conversation. Once done, you have suspect #1 should anything happen and/or you can then educate him about the law and assure him he will have much bigger problems if he does anything stupid.

If you’re flying in a LEGAL and safe manner, don’t let these ( Mod Removed Inappropriate Rematk) interfere with your right to fly.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would make me uncomfortable and I would feel like my private property was violated. I live in the middle of nowhere and don't have a lot of neighbors. I'm pretty new to droning and have been flying for distance checking out wildlife areas as far away as I can get the drone to cooperate. That has me flying over a lot of peoples private property.

No matter what "rights" I have, I've been making an effort to stay high and move fast so I that no one feels I'm spying on them.
So if the drone has to be in the visual line of sight, see the drone. How can you fly as far as possible! Hmm

Well it took a few months but it finally happened!

I was showing my father in law (big aviation enthusiast) my Mav Mini and flying at a legal and safe altitude exploring the neighborhood and showing off the drones capabilities when a neighbor a few houses down walked up with a puffed chest and a chip on his shoulder. He claimed I was “flying into his backyard“ and “spying on him and inside his backyard” which was simply not true and technically impossible.

He followed it up with “just wanted to see who owned this before I took it out of the sky” which I informed him with the legal issue of that he claimed “he had a way around the FAA”.

I expected for people to ask questions but the blatant hostility was a bit out of left field. I guess if you have things to hide you get twitchy seeing a drone 150ft up passing though... yikes.

Fly safe all!
Guess most of us got similar stories! Mine is flying over my static caravan site (only about 10 vans there) I heard what seemed like wolves howling about 100 yrds away and sure enough the guy who owned them approached and challenged me to say it was 'encroaching on his privacy' Translation: 'it startled my wolves'. I would have been happy to say i wouldn't fly when he had his 'pets' around despite being woken early in the morning with their braying and growling as he walks them past my caravan. Funny old world!

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
If you’re flying in a LEGAL and safe manner, don’t let these **** retentive wankers interfere with your right to fly.
They are not going to be able to get to your drone at 150ft or more. If they shoot at it, that's highly illegal. What a great/impossible shot that would be. Only a drone jammer and that's will send the drone into RTH.

Reactions: MMPerrish
Sadly in thisCOVID-19 and pre election heightened paranoia that many people are experiencing, it’s not difficult to find people with axes to grind.
Stick to flying in open areas, if not fast and as near to max allowable height.
I live on an island with approx 500 other houses so I try and keep my flights out and over water or marshland, so far no complaints in >5years. I have also assisted my local area by looking for lost dogs in the marsh and assessing post hurricane damage so hopefully I am seen as an asset and not a spy!

Reactions: pdipasquale
Bad advice.
Guys I’ve seen seversl negative post in this and if I see 1 more this
thread will be closed.
Well then kind sir, how would you suggest dealing with a confrontational bully threatening you? Running away and hiding doesn't always work. It can, in fact, embolden the bully.

Well then kind sir, how would you suggest dealing with a confrontational bully threatening you? Running away and hiding doesn't always work. It can, in fact, embolden the bully.
Well to start with I have better sense to fly in a place where I would
have to deal with such but if I did I would just back off and not
start a confrontational situation where I would have to do as you posted.

Now seeing this thread is headed into a gutter I see no reason for it to continue. About all that can be said has been.
Got a issue with it message a Admin.IMG_8764.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato