DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Had the opportunity to fly down to Baja California to shoot a $26M Superyacht, mix of Mavic 3 & interior video

Great video. Well done !!!
May I ask where did you take off from and landed to avoid being seen in the drone shots? I've done once similar job with Inspire2 and we took off and hand catched on the tender boat. It was nerve wrecking🥴 This is one of the stills. I took off from the bow and retouched myself out. Not so easy with video..
We did a combination of tender and flying from the sundeck which allowed us to maintain sight & signal. So to answer your question, both.

In theory that could work. We wanted to have an uninterrupted and constant visual line of sight of the drone flying around the yacht and decided that the only option for us was the tender. Hair rising but all went well🙂
Not just in theory ... I've done it several times
DJI_0785aa-X2.jpg

We generally fly from inside unless we need to use the tender however, so through windows or form the sundeck works very well. Line of sight is generally easy to maintain I've found as well, not a lot for the drone to hide behind out on the water

Great video. Well done !!!
May I ask where did you take off from and landed to avoid being seen in the drone shots? I've done once similar job with Inspire2 and we took off and hand catched on the tender boat. It was nerve wrecking🥴 This is one of the stills. I took off from the bow and retouched myself out. Not so easy with video..
Also fantastic shot! Do you shoot yachts mainly? What's the story behind the image?

Also fantastic shot! Do you shoot yachts mainly? What's the story behind the image?
Thanks. This was one off yacht gig for me. The owner who I knew has done a substantial refurb to the yacht and wanted to share the result with family members all over the world so he commissioned the video production. Then later on he decided to sell the yacht and ordered some additional stills. The photo posted was one of the stills. This is another..

Attachments

• DJI_0402.jpg
    DJI_0402.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 8
Great video! What drone did you use, and what software for editing? Also, did you shoot any of the interior shots with a hand held?

We couldn't stop the boat because it's 156' long so I had to take off and land while it was running at speed 🥲 one of the craziest trips of my life. Just getting the call to film it was wild enough, but my flight was delayed and I was going to miss the deadline so I changed flights to San Diego & walked across the border so I could make another flight from Tijuana to the boat.

Absolutely went above and beyond to make sure I got to shoot this footage, and I couldn't be more happy with the results. Wanted to share here! Hope you enjoy

This boat was made here in Seattle in 2011 as well, cool connection from a country away.

Wowsers! Really nicely done.
I have so many questions....
Answer any or all if you care to.

What equip overall were you using?
What did you shoot the interiors with? Reg camera on gimbal or Drones?
-which?
-Was there any lighting or all available? **** nice job either way....
-Shot in D-log ?
-Settings (iso, shutter,apertures) Any filters used?

Like I said... SO Many questions....

Looks like some of these are asked & answered...

And again - excellent job.

Last edited:
Awesome video! I sailed in Baja out of La Paz and it was quite clear that I would not be able to bring my drone in. Since you walked across the border, maybe that was different. Just curious if you had any problems bringing a drone into Mexico?
You cant bring a drone into Mexico???

Thanks. This was one off yacht gig for me. The owner who I knew has done a substantial refurb to the yacht and wanted to share the result with family members all over the world so he commissioned the video production. Then later on he decided to sell the yacht and ordered some additional stills. The photo posted was one of the stills. This is another..
Did you make an entire video? Would love to see it. Great second shot as well, thanks for sharing

Great video! What drone did you use, and what software for editing? Also, did you shoot any of the interior shots with a hand held?
Thank you! Mavic 3 & huge Davinchi Resolve advocate. Every update feels like free new software, couldn't recommend it more. All of the interior shots are shot on a Lumix S5 with gimbal, no handheld

Wowsers! Really nicely done.
I have so many questions....
Answer any or all if you care to.

What equip overall were you using?
What did you shoot the interiors with? Reg camera on gimbal or Drones?
-which?
-Was there any lighting or all available? **** nice job either way....
-Shot in D-log ?
-Settings (iso, shutter,apertures) Any filters used?

Like I said... SO Many questions....

Looks like some of these are asked & answered...

And again - excellent job.
I really appreciate the compliments, so thank you for that. Would love to answer questions & will answer them all here to make it easier for anyone else to find.
  • Lumix S5, and I actually shot the interior in Rec.2100 HLG at their request but I think it came out great (wasn't convinced at first)
  • No filters, lowest iso (I think 640), PAL 50p shutter with the project rendered at 25fps for final delivery. Shot wide to accommodate these with most shots at 2.8 - 3.5
  • Laowa 12mm 2.8 Zero-D Cine
  • RS3 Pro w/ Lidar Focus System
  • Mavic 3, D-Log, 50fps
  • No additional lighting, everything is natural light. We shot the entire boat mid-day and then again at sunset for more variety
If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask! Hope this helps

Reactions: SethB
Did you make an entire video? Would love to see it. Great second shot as well, thanks for sharing

Thank you! Mavic 3 & huge Davinchi Resolve advocate. Every update feels like free new software, couldn't recommend it more. All of the interior shots are shot on a Lumix S5 with gimbal, no handheld

I really appreciate the compliments, so thank you for that. Would love to answer questions & will answer them all here to make it easier for anyone else to find.
  • Lumix S5, and I actually shot the interior in Rec.2100 HLG at their request but I think it came out great (wasn't convinced at first)
  • No filters, lowest iso (I think 640), PAL 50p shutter with the project rendered at 25fps for final delivery. Shot wide to accommodate these with most shots at 2.8 - 3.5
  • Mavic 3, D-Log, 50fps
  • No additional lighting, everything is natural light. We shot the entire boat mid-day and then again at sunset for more variety
Thanks for all that. Appreciated. Again, great Job! Quality we all aspire to.

Reactions: AlecGB

• Mavic 3, D-Log, 50fps
I sent you a PM.

We couldn't stop the boat because it's 156' long so I had to take off and land while it was running at speed 🥲 one of the craziest trips of my life. Just getting the call to film it was wild enough, but my flight was delayed and I was going to miss the deadline so I changed flights to San Diego & walked across the border so I could make another flight from Tijuana to the boat.

Absolutely went above and beyond to make sure I got to shoot this footage, and I couldn't be more happy with the results. Wanted to share here! Hope you enjoy

This boat was made here in Seattle in 2011 as well, cool connection from a country away.

What an amazing yacht, nice video

Thanks for all that. Appreciated. Again, great Job! Quality we all aspire to.
That means a lot, seriously. I started out with no experience, no context, nobody to work with, and no guidance. I've pretty much just poked my way around in the dark for a while and held myself to high standards as best I could. So to hear that I've reached even a decent degree of professional work hit deeps. It's a badge I would never feel comfortable bestowing upon myself, so thank you .

What an amazing yacht, nice video
Thank you!! Seriously the best community

You make it look so easy. Thanks for the inspiration.

Absolutely nailed it! Very well done I must say!

Can't thank you enough for the kind words
Absolutely nailed it! Very well done I must say!
Appreciate it!! Pushing forward with more on the way

Nice video! I love the dolly shot @:27-ish! Great job.
Makes me want one - although I can't afford a kayak, but that thing is VERY nice!

Just beautiful! Your technique is impeccable!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor