DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Halloween - Flying Ghost - any ideas?

Go to a fabric store. Get the lace or whatever it’s called that they make wedding veils out of- light weight open weave, but might have enough rigidity to hold shape. For the “head” I would try to find something that isn’t solid like a balloon, I would guess that would create a lot of drag. A medium size crafter or florist styrofoam ball could work, but it might be better if you try to hollow it out and shape it into more of a framework instead of a solid sphere. Find a cheap kids toy with a led that fades to different colors, or if you could find a light weight ultraviolet light it would make the white glow like the old black light posters. A simple fix for any weigh down needs would be the appropriate size fishing weights. The Pac-Man shaped ones you crimp on to the line. Squeeze them equally spaced around the hem and it should hold it down. And the are available in very small sizes so fine tuning should be easy. Good luck!

Reactions: Dougcjohn
Looked through a few Threads without success...
I've seen some YouTubes, hilarious and great ideas of Flying Ghosts.
Some hanging from under Drone, some using the Drone within the design.
None really touch on what they used to create... material, led lights, etc.

I'd like to acquire or make a Halloween hanging lighted ghost for a Mavic sized craft.
I tried a few years ago but weight was a problem, needed to find lighter components.

Anyone make, have ideas or have link to how to create a light weight lighted ghost?
Totally fake actors with pretty girls in short skirts, but you get the idea.
I've had my 'Ghost' for a couple of years but it's black with red flashing lights in the eyes. To be fair, I use my Phantom 4 Pro V2 to use it, but a Mavic should do the job. That ghost is light as heck! https://www.amazon.com/Halloween-Hanging-Decorations-Skeleton-Flashing/dp/B07GBK9CL5/ref=sr_1_37?crid=808XF0ISA67Q&dchild=1&keywords=flying+witch+halloween+decor&qid=1635006935&qsid=140-5767709-1914955&sprefix=flying+witch,aps,131&sr=8-37&sres=B08BJFTFRR,B098FDBGSW,B097276119,B08BG9J4PJ,B095W5NX7H,B08BHP1CWG,B097R63BSX,B098SSF8JJ,B09C6L7GRD,B097Z3PZZJ,B0998DB83P,B08G8TFZ9H,B07VYP127V,B098J52WTN,B0952WLL66,B07XZJ83SH,B098CW8JYG,B08CN5ZZ71,B096M496PN,B01KWX8NU8

Last edited:
I'd agree.. . Some YouTubes are acting.. clearly visible! Others are funny!

The link you provided, that's light with the head & hands? What is it made out of styrofoam? That looks like a good option, may get at least to examine!

I made one for last Halloween. I made a lightweight frame out of pvc in the shape of a cross then draped white very lightweight cloth over it. At the tip of the cross I wadded up the cloth to make the head. It looked pretty cool at night because the cloth flowed as it moved. Can't add a video here but here is a still just before dark. I also programmed the mission around my neighborhood during the day to be sure the ghost wouldn't hit anything at night. When moving about 5-8 mph the ghost would fan out behind the drone (Mavic 2 Pro). Kids loved it
Very nice... good idea on frame too!
Did you have any LED lights in it to draw attention?

I'd agree.. . Some YouTubes are acting.. clearly visible! Others are funny!

The link you provided, that's light with the head & hands? What is it made out of styrofoam? That looks like a good option, may get at least to examine!
The head is plastic and hollow, hence the light weight. The head is where the batteries go (3 AAAs I think?) All the rest is pretty much fabric. I just use fishing line. Make sure the line is much longer than you think you need.Tie the line around the 'elbows' and attach to skull to keep everything parallel. Mine flies pretty much as the one in the video, without much work. Make sure to pull lines taught and keep the drone at full line length (15 feet ish) away before you take off.

Go to a fabric store. Get the lace or whatever it’s called that they make wedding veils out of- light weight open weave, but might have enough rigidity to hold shape. For the “head” I would try to find something that isn’t solid like a balloon, I would guess that would create a lot of drag. A medium size crafter or florist styrofoam ball could work, but it might be better if you try to hollow it out and shape it into more of a framework instead of a solid sphere. Find a cheap kids toy with a led that fades to different colors, or if you could find a light weight ultraviolet light it would make the white glow like the old black light posters. A simple fix for any weigh down needs would be the appropriate size fishing weights. The Pac-Man shaped ones you crimp on to the line. Squeeze them equally spaced around the hem and it should hold it down. And the are available in very small sizes so fine tuning should be easy. Good luck!
Great ideas! Hadn't considered the fishing weights... that's great!
The head is plastic and hollow, hence the light weight. The head is where the batteries go (3 AAAs I think?) All the rest is pretty much fabric. I just use fishing line. Make sure the line is much longer than you think you need.Tie the line around the 'elbows' and attach to skull to keep everything parallel. Mine flies pretty much as the one in the video, without much work. Make sure to pull lines taught and keep the drone at full line length (15 feet ish) away before you take off.
Time getting short before Trick or Treat, Ordered, comes as a pair...also added some pac man weights, and some 7' led strings that use button batteries... keeping weight down and add to the inside of cloth in a few looped strings.

Reactions: Len750
My P2's are my tugs, but my MP pro does a fair job too!
Looks great!

I purchased a pair of small ghosts and leds to enhance... No Go, was grounded with 25-30 mph winds and mixed drizzle / rain on & off.

Last edited:
Looks great!

I purchased a pair of small ghosts and leds to enhance... No Go, was grounded with 25-30 mph winds and mixed drizzle / rain on & off.
Wait for a nice calm summer night and have a campfire with spooky tales. Then swoop in with the ghost at the opportune time. Seems Halloween always has knarly weather.

Wait for a nice calm summer night and have a campfire with spooky tales. Then swoop in with the ghost at the opportune time. Seems Halloween always has knarly weather.
Oh ya... I'll fly it later for sure... the kids will love it!
We have 1 great Halloween about every 4-5 yrs, and 1 real sour one... this wasn't bad to walk, but was a kite flying ghost night with winds!

I'll put Green & Red LEDs... the Xmas Ghost!

• Love
Reactions: DoomMeister
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7