DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand Gestures Feature

If you did your test with a Mavic Air, you might be able to recover your video from the 8 Gigs drone internal memory...
I checked the internal memory, sadly no recording there. My MA was set to record to the SD card in my previous flights and I think it does not switch back to recording to internal memory in the absence of the SD card by itself. I guess one has to access that setting and change it in GO4 first for it to record to internal memory. I didn't have my flying phone nor the remote so I was not able to change that setting even if I was aware the absence of the SD card the moment I switched the MA on. Pretty lame design on the side of DJI if you ask me.

Another day, another attempt; made sure the SD card was in and the MA followed me really well except when it lost me at one sharp turn. Very impressed this time. It recorded a nice video as well; BUT i forgot to change my camera settings to auto .... footage is way over exposed. Another day another lesson.

Were you biking with the MA following you? If so, what speed can you attain?
Yes to the first, as for speed - not fast is all I can say. I am just getting the hang of this mode and I don't fully trust it yet. Plus there were a few low hanging branches. But I have read elsewhere it does well even at speeds of 25kph (post linked below)

I went jogging yesterday evening in Culver City, CA. I left the controller at home and took my MA1 with me to smart capture me while jogging but it wouldn’t take off using the function button. So I pulled out my phone and fired up the GO4 app to find out why?

I discovered that I was in a Restricted area and needed authorization. Gave my phone number to get authorization and launched the drone using the app. Then since I was already in the app and in flight, I started the smart capture mode from the app.

I started jogging and 100 meters later it stopped and hovered. I reset the home point from the drone (because apparently my phone never seems to have a good enough gps signal) and continued jogging. Then BOOM! Another 100m and it stopped again. Reset HP again and continued then BOOM! Another 100m and it stopped again.

frustrated, I just put the drone away and continued my workout with it tucked away in my mini-hydro backpack.

I bought the MA2. It doesn’t have smart capture at all.? AND it only flies with the big remote. No phone only option or function buttons. ?

so I got the MA1 strictly for working out and bike rides only to discover this limitation.

I promise I was about to give this thing away today until I found this thread (and another) that explains the GO4 app is the smart-capture limitation.

What I’ve learned and will test tomorrow...
1. I need to fly the drone using function button only. Do not use the distance limiting phone app. By doing this the drone will fly & activetrack me as long as the battery will allow.
2. If the drone won’t launch due to airspace restrictions by using the back button, then connect your phone to it via wifi and use the app to get past the geo-fence. Then launch using the app to get it in the air.
3. While it’s hovering in the air, put it on smart capture mode. Once it’s active track is locked on you, CLOSE the app and disconnect it from your WiFi.

Ok, I’ll give this a shot and report back to you tomorrow

Please update us on this when you’ve had a chance to try it out. I am so aggravated by the fact that the Mavic Mini and MA2 require a remote. How is that ultraportable. I really hope either DJI or Litchi come up with a solution.

Ok. I went jogging again. Gave it a shot. and it worked as expected....

1. I needed to have the drone track me while running, and do so without the controller or a phone because I did not want any 100 meter distance limiting.

2. However where I was located, the drone would not launch from double clicking the rear function button due to airspace restrictions, so I had to connect my iPhone to it via wifi and use the GO4 app to submit an unlock request to get past the geo-fence. Because of this I was forced to launch the drone using the app to get her in the air.

3. While she was hovering in the air and tracking my movements using Smart-Capture... I abruptly CLOSED the Go4 app by swiping up and closing it off my iPhone.

4. Despite closing the app, the drone stayed hovering and tracking me. I then made the hand box gesture and it started recording video. I went running. I ran for 2 miles. I ran fast.

5. She followed me the whole way. Nonstop. ????????

Reactions: BassPilot

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S