DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New firmware allows smart capture without controller or app?

I'm curious how well it would follow me on a mountain bike descent of a hill.

Are you absolutely SURE that 4k is not available? Someone was talking about turning 4k back on in the app once you've activated smart capture, and in all the demos of smart capture up until now I've never heard anyone remark that 4k was disabled..

All I can say is that I tried it both ways (with and without the app/controller). Without the app/controller there is obviously no way to change any settings. When changing to Smary Capture in the app when using the controller, the 4k and 2k options are grayed out and it automatically uses 1080p. And when you are done with Smary Capture you have to manually switch back to 2k or 4k.

I could be missing something but I’m pretty sure it’s just a current limitation. I will try to reach out to DJI to confirm and see if this is something that might change.

I'm curious how well it would follow me on a mountain bike descent of a hill.

It has trouble with descent, especially sharp descent but it might work if it is able to track you well and it’s more gradual. My gut tells me it would be disappointing for this application in its current state.

It's common knowledge that it will not follow you downhill. Litchi will follow you up and downhill but its not available for the Air yet

The vertical drop is maybe 80'-100', so I think it's workable in this situation. At least to experiment with. And then when Litchi comes...

Hi, I haven't upgraded the firmware yet on my new MA due to the couple issues it has (see video below). Which firmware update gave the SmartCapture group selfie and the two button push on the MA for SmartCapture? I tried doing both of these today and neither one worked. :(

Hi, I haven't upgraded the firmware yet on my new MA due to the couple issues it has (see video below). Which firmware update gave the SmartCapture group selfie and the two button push on the MA for SmartCapture? I tried doing both of these today and neither one worked. :(

Ok......... I upgraded to formware version V01.00.0200 which is next to the latest. I started SmartGesture without the remote by the double tap method. I'll try out group selfie tomorrow when I have a little more room. :)

Hi, I think I will love this feature a lot. Especially for recording my bike rides. Yesterday I did a test with my bike and here are couple of observations:
- MA does recognize all the gestures from a person sitting on the bike
- it can follow you pretty quickly. I accelerated to more than 25 kph and it did not lose me
- obstacle avoidance worked but I had an impression that it was like less sensitive - at least from the rear the drone approached some dense bushes at around 30-40cm
- it was quite scary when braking on my bike cause the drone approached me very close like maybe 25cm from my head and after that moved backwards - oups!
- for security reasons it is smart to fly with propeller guards although it limits portability
- I would need some way to launch it from the palm of my hand - in case I am alone on dusty or muddy grounds
- I couldn't force it to fly backwards for longer distance looking at me from the front. After few meters it was moving aside, letting me go and then followed from the rear - all without losing me!
- I miss a gesture for boomerang or other quick shot modes - dji please provide it with next software updates :)

DJI needs to do a better job documenting. When they release new firmware with release notes, the release notes should link to documentation with more information and instructions. Another example is releasing new drones without the full manual available (I realize it's available now, but this has happened many times in the past). I'm sure the engineers also get frustrated when they release new features/changes, but none of the actual customers know what they are or how to use them. I know that would frustrate me if I worked hard on making something better, only to find out the company lags behind in documenting it.
DJI should take a lesson from the configuration management folks, where documents contain a list of changes in each update. Another idea would be to put revision bars in the side margins to show where changes were made. Better yet, do both.

Does the Air have Obstacle Avoidance during smart gestures? I tried to get close to objects to see if it would stop or avoid and it allowed it to get way too close for comfort so I stopped it before it touched. Does not seem like obstacle avoidance is actually working in Smart Capture mode. Anyone confirm?

Hi, I think I will love this feature a lot. Especially for recording my bike rides. Yesterday I did a test with my bike and here are couple of observations:
- MA does recognize all the gestures from a person sitting on the bike
- it can follow you pretty quickly. I accelerated to more than 25 kph and it did not lose me
- obstacle avoidance worked but I had an impression that it was like less sensitive - at least from the rear the drone approached some dense bushes at around 30-40cm
- it was quite scary when braking on my bike cause the drone approached me very close like maybe 25cm from my head and after that moved backwards - oups!
- for security reasons it is smart to fly with propeller guards although it limits portability
- I would need some way to launch it from the palm of my hand - in case I am alone on dusty or muddy grounds
- I couldn't force it to fly backwards for longer distance looking at me from the front. After few meters it was moving aside, letting me go and then followed from the rear - all without losing me!
- I miss a gesture for boomerang or other quick shot modes - dji please provide it with next software updates :)
This is exactly what I was looking for; awesome!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661