DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New firmware allows smart capture without controller or app?

Nothing ? Lol some people just dont know how to like the new guys .... they either go to fast/ or make the wrong gestures.

Fosho. I am new to the hand gestures. And I think I'm in love
Big come up from when the spark first launched...wife said "babe u look like a broken jedi":p:D

Reactions: TheHumanNerd
Tried this for the first time yesterday and it worked extremely well! My Wife thought I became more attractive immediately when controlling the MA with my hands... Sorry, I misunderstood, she thought I became less attractive immediately when controlling the MA with my hands. (It was still worth it!) :cool:

Reactions: W2EJ and galfridus
Tried this for the first time yesterday and it worked extremely well! My Wife thought I became more attractive immediately when controlling the MA with my hands... Sorry, I misunderstood, she thought I became less attractive immediately when controlling the MA with my hands. (It was still worth it!) :cool:
Hahahahaha

Video done ... kind of short and sweet but yes you do have to wait about a minute .... so my suspicions were right . U have to wait for the IMU to warm up and I guess for the quadcopter to acquire GPS it makes sense you don't want this thing taking off in atti Mode with no remote or device

So is there any distance from home point limit when operating in this mode, or will the drone follow you forever (where forever is defined as ~21 minutes)?

Pretty sure distance is limited because u do not have a device/controller hooked up. I will test this further but it's pretty cool that you can just take it out of your backpack and not hook up a device or a controller and just put it right up. With remote distance should be unlimited

Flew with smart gestures and the controller connected a few days ago and tried it without the controller today. Now, I'm a little over cautious but flying with the remote connect is not the greatest but without the mode... pretty sketchy. Several times I lost the "connection" to the Air. That is, hand gestures stopped working. Eventually I regained control each time but it took a short while. This happened when the remote was not connected and I thought... what if I can't regain control? The Air would either fly up and RTH or land where it was once the battery went to 10%. I'd have to stand there and wait with no control. Also, what if there were objects around, such as trees. Using hand gestures is not the most precise control. Another example is landing. You don't have the most precise control when choose the ground to land on and the Air is not know for high ground clearance.

Does it work? Yes.

Does it have risks? Yup!

Lol, it has great control! I have a hard cover on the bed of my Chevy Colorado which is approx 4 ft x 5ft. I took off from the street and easily landed it dead center on the bed cover. I then took off from the bed without any fears at all. I know, no video, it didn’t happen.

I also flew it WiFi only from my iPad without a controller. That works very well too. I think I read that it does have a limit but heck if you are hiking or in a national park (wink wink) you could take off from the hood, trunk, or roof of any car and not violate the no fly zone rules :cool:

I too would be interested in know how far it would follow you away from the home point. I guess I need to do more testing.

Flew with smart gestures and the controller connected a few days ago and tried it without the controller today. Now, I'm a little over cautious but flying with the remote connect is not the greatest but without the mode... pretty sketchy. Several times I lost the "connection" to the Air. That is, hand gestures stopped working. Eventually I regained control each time but it took a short while. This happened when the remote was not connected and I thought... what if I can't regain control? The Air would either fly up and RTH or land where it was once the battery went to 10%. I'd have to stand there and wait with no control. Also, what if there were objects around, such as trees. Using hand gestures is not the most precise control. Another example is landing. You don't have the most precise control when choose the ground to land on and the Air is not know for high ground clearance.

Does it work? Yes.

Does it have risks? Yup!
As far as it rth and landing when spark first came out it would do this (just rise up and rth) . Imo bad news especially if trees or objects were around. Dji has since changed that.a few minths ago ...spark and air will now just land where it is if it loses connection. Which is a good thing. And yes picking a spot to land is a little tricky

Lol, it has great control! I have a hard cover on the bed of my Chevy Colorado which is approx 4 ft x 5ft. I took off from the street and easily landed it dead center on the bed cover. I then took off from the bed without any fears at all. I know, no video, it didn’t happen.
I have no doubt it's possible. If you've never had it hiccup and loose sight of you, great. It will happen. You then need to hope it can see your hand again.

Which raises another question... is it only the shape of the hand or the color or both? People have different color skin is what I'm thinking.

I think I read that it does have a limit but heck if you are hiking or in a national park (wink wink) you could take off from the hood, trunk, or roof of any car and not violate the no fly zone rules :cool:
If you and/or your vehicle are within the boundries of a National Park _you_ are subject to their rules. You can take off from your "hood, trunk" with the controller connected and it's the exact same think as a wifi connection or anything else. You are still operating a drone from within a National Park.

I too would be interested in know how far it would follow you away from the home point. I guess I need to do more testing.
I'm betting it will fly until 30% and/or 10% and then take action. That is, no set distance. It would then either RTH or land.

Edit: Which is answered above.

If it loses my hand it just sits there and hovers. No need to put fear in new users' heads.

As far as the national parks, private property rules - as I read it I cannot take off or land but I can fly over. I was throwing that out there as half a joke, hence the smiley face.

Dang mike by the way you made it sound I thought you're hand signals had something to teach me. I challenge you to a palm control off!
Ps your street has waaaaay to many birds

Reactions: Mike4884
Dang mike by the way you made it sound I thought you're hand signals had something to teach me. I challenge you to a palm control off!
Ps your street has waaaaay to many birds
Haha well when your 17 yr old daughter does not want to film in the first place u have to make it short and sweet. ;) she kept asking me how long it would be before it started..lol yea maybe ill make another one. It was mainly for the new guys who flail their hands around doing half broken karate trying to get it to "do something" u seem like u got this ;) oh and the car yea man i look up and all i saw was a curly big perm.....she was close

P.s. and i let my daughter take the car to the store earlier! Sure dad ill help....yea right! Kids these days :)

Haha well when your 17 yr old daughter does not want to film in the first place u have to make it short and sweet. ;) she kept asking me how long it would be before it started..lol yea maybe ill make another one. It was mainly for the new guys who flail their hands around doing half broken karate trying to get it to "do something" u seem like u got this ;) oh and the car yea man i look up and all i saw was a curly big perm.....she was close

P.s. and i let my daughter take the car to the store earlier! Sure dad ill help....yea right! Kids these days :)
Hahaha you real bro! For real good hands, I thought you were a planes captain (NAVY ALL DAY!) a comp would be good for views tho just sayin... I'm still ready

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM