DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand launch techniques

Hiflyer808

Reactions
I tried hand launching and landing for the first time today. I want to get skilled at it because I plan to use my mavic on hiking trails and other places with rough terrain. Well, I was more worried about the landing, but that turned out to be fairly easy. But with the hand launch, where I was using the method of swiping right with the controller held against my body while the mavic rested on the outstretched palm of my other hand, I expected it to just lift off of my palm once the props started but instead it fell off to the side and crashed. Luckily no damage, but I'm wondering what I did wrong. I'm guessing I moved my palm away too soon, before the props were up to speed. Or perhaps I should actually hold on to the mavic, rather than have it resting on my palm, and then release it when I feel it tugging upward? Any advice from people who have got the technique down would be much appreciated.

Reactions: ark
Hold it in your right hand, use your left thumb and right elbow to start the motors, then give it full power and once you feel it fight for lift, only then let go..

The auto-launch is easier but if it's windy can be a bit too sluggish - have had it flip once like that.
I like to go down on one knee and rest controller on the thigh if there's nowhere else to put it - so you can operate sticks easier.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
top tips
1. make sure you keep it level, before you auto take off in your hand
2. grip it hard and only release when all four props have level thrust.

if you don't do the above you run the risk of the mavic having more thrust on the rear props than the front or vice versa or the is a gust of wind that flips it over and its mavic upside down on the ground, has almost happened to me a few times luckily when it started to flip i gripped it hard until the front props caught up to speed.

I have attached a lanyard to my remote, so it can hang freely over my breast. When hand-launching I am holding the Mavic same way as I am grabbing it during landing with one hand over my head and then get both sticks with two fingers of my other hand for starting the motors and then move throttle up until there is enough thrust for releasing the Mavic.
This method is easy to use and absolutely safe, never had any incident.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Here's an idea, just need a bigger hat.
fashion-helicopter_hats-helicopter_hat-helipad-surreal-dirigible-jcen1941_low.jpg

Reactions: CaseyH
the mavic in the left hand, the rc in the right, when the engines are started, shake the mavic. it automatically powers to keep the position. then leave it free

I hand launch and catch all the time when I'm out hiking. I also use a neck lanyard with the controller so i can use my fingers to arm the motors and then throttle up. I do sometimes wear a glove for when I am catching the mavic and wear sun glasses for safety. I always have gloves and sun glasses in my backpack in case of cold weather.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geser