DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand Launching and Catching with protection

Here's my method of Hand-Catching. Just double-checked it twice this afternoon and it seems to work reliably.

1. Maneuver the drone to about shoulder level height and 5-6 feet away in front of you with the nose pointed towards you. .

Why nose pointed towards you?
I would face the camera the otherway so you can see the back of the Mavic. 2 reasons:
1. Easy orienteering. Left is left and right is right. No confusion.
2. You don't film yourself getting cut up if it goes terribly wrong.

Another thing to add is to catch it down wind. If a gust wind hits, the mavic will fly away from you.

I also found it easy to use a lanyard and to grabcatch and hold stick down. The mavic will squeal to for a second or 2 and then you will hear the 'Landing' on your controller and motors should shut off.

The next landing I will attempt to do is an open palm landing. Basically, let the mavic hover and hold my hand out directly under its belly. Keep hand still and down stick to land it on your palm.

Normally I'd agree with camera pointing away but you won't be making further lateral movements - just edge down at a safe distance from you and walk to it then descend as you grab.
Trouble is the back of the Mavic is wider which makes it that bit harder to grip one handed, also it seems easier to activate the VPS and it will go up - though won't matter if you autoland onto your hand rather than grab.

Watch out for the props ;)

Took a while to build up to a hand catch with the mavic that's for sure haha

Attachments

• chopped.jpg
    chopped.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: Eyeinthesky33
Rise your hand slowly from below it until you see the mavic rise (to avoid it). Then press control stick down and it will lower to your hand as if to land on the ground. No problems with forward detection in this case
First person on the internet I see mention this.. the concept seems pretty straight forward like it would work I have to test it out myself .

of course not, but hand injuries arent fun
Ya I second that! I still would be hand catching 75% of the time just because that camera and gimbal set up is basically kissin the terrain.

Here's my method of Hand-Catching. Just double-checked it twice this afternoon and it seems to work reliably.

As opposed to catching the Mavic from below, (which can work too, but will initially cause the Mavic to rise away),
the method I've been using is one where your hand approaches the Mavic at the front (camera) end and from slightly below.

The DJI GO 4 app settings I’ve had set are with all Obstacle Avoidance sensors on, and the Mavic is in GPS Mode, (not Sport Mode).
It was also done in broad daylight.
While it seems as if this should trigger the obstacle avoidance sensors, it does not if done in the following manner outlined below:

1. Maneuver the drone to about shoulder level height and 5-6 feet away in front of you with the nose pointed towards you.

2. Holding the remote controller in one hand (ready to pull the left stick throttle back to “0” and shut down the engines),
slowly reach out with the other hand towards the drone, with your hand approaching the nose slightly from below,
and grasp the front body in the narrow area just behind the camera.
If your hand approaches the drone correctly from slightly below and directly at the front end, the Mavic will not rise or move,
(unless you accidentally jostle it with your hand as you grasp it).

3. From that point it is easy to use your other hand to pull RC left stick back to zero, thereby shutting the motors down.

Dumb question NOSE
CAMERA OR BATTERY?
Correct me if I'm wrong, again I am without my MP as of now, but from flying different drones, Port is Port and Starboard is Starboard.
I'm standing [or sitting] aft of my drone as I launch, camera is facing forward, in the same direction I am facing. The drone responds left to left rudder and right to right rudder, forward to stick forward and the reverse to the opposite command.
The opposite is true if the camera is facing the operator which makes this position vis a vis the experience, a learned one.
So when I refer to the nose of any aircraft, I'm assuming this "Take off" position, me behind[or alongside{{or in front}}, the position whereby the aircraft responds to positive stick movements in a positive manner. That would be the Camera is the NOSE.
Standing by for correction.
Thanks Jerry

Last edited:
If you want to hand catch it, the best solution is to disable the landing protection in your settings, and the drone will slowly land on your hand, with no struggle (make sure you grab it on the lower half). I find it easier standing by the side, and reaching it from under (don't try Sports mode, it doesn't disable the bottom sensors). One key element: ALWAYS keep an eye on your drone.

Also for safety it is best to reach up and grab the mavic as it is hovering and not have it at head or eye level. If you got sunglasses those will help protect you'e eyes too in case something bad happens.

For me the best method is to just approach from the side then with palm up just grab it in the middle, right where the battery release tabs are with thumb and fore/index fingers. This way your wrist is straight and not turned or bent in any direction and you can get a solid grip at the center balance point in a spot that is nowhere near the props. At that point you can shut down with the controller or just flip it over by turning your wrist and it will quit.

I've come to a point that I do this pretty much every time, no need to land in the dirt or on uneven ground. Even on pavement there's dust and grit getting kicked up into your gimbals and sucked in by the cooling fan.

I have had to do this as well but the threat of an unexpected wind gust scares me. If it gusts, it could cause a sudden bank of the Mavic with possible painful repercussions.
If a sudden gust at ground level(!) would blow it from ones hand it was stupid to fly in the first place :}

Normally I'd agree with camera pointing away but you won't be making further lateral movements - just edge down at a safe distance from you and walk to it then descend as you grab.
Trouble is the back of the Mavic is wider which makes it that bit harder to grip one handed, also it seems easier to activate the VPS and it will go up - though won't matter if you autoland onto your hand rather than grab.
Simply switch off landing protection. Problem solved. It will land without trying to fly away from you hand.

If you want to hand catch it, the best solution is to disable the landing protection
You beat me. That's the whole issue. Landing protection.

As opposed to catching the Mavic from below, (which can work too, but will initially cause the Mavic to rise away),
the method I've been using is one where your hand approaches the Mavic at the front (camera) end and from slightly below.

The DJI GO 4 app settings I’ve had set are with all Obstacle Avoidance sensors on, and the Mavic is in GPS Mode, (not Sport Mode).
It was also done in broad daylight.
While it seems as if this should trigger the obstacle avoidance sensors, it does not if done in the following manner outlined below:

1. Maneuver the drone to about shoulder level height and 5-6 feet away in front of you with the nose pointed towards you.

2. Holding the remote controller in one hand (ready to pull the left stick throttle back to “0” and shut down the engines),
slowly reach out with the other hand towards the drone, with your hand approaching the nose slightly from below,
and grasp the front body in the narrow area just behind the camera.
If your hand approaches the drone correctly from slightly below and directly at the front end, the Mavic will not rise or move,
(unless you accidentally jostle it with your hand as you grasp it).

3. From that point it is easy to use your other hand to pull RC left stick back to zero, thereby shutting the motors down.

This is the exact method I use. It has worked great for me every time. It doesn't trigger any sensors and props shut down in 1-2 seconds.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smorse