DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hard to find work

Right. Not everyone with the latest Leica/Fuji/Canon/Nikon has an amazing eye for a great capture.

In drone land, a lot of people think that, with the right qualifications and good piece of kit, they have everything required to market their services. I don't blame them - this is a dream proactively sold by training providers.

The best of the best, as in any creative pursuit, will do well. The rest of us are jobbing actors/actresses, hoping for a break.
The top 10% make 90% of the money, while the bottom 90% fight for the remaining 10%.
In the drone business, it might even be more like the top 1% make 99% of the money, while the bottom 99% fight over the remaining 1%, in a race to the bottom! There is no limit in the supply of drone pilots willing to work for pennies or even for free! With the Mini, the number has exploded exponentially!

Reactions: BigAl07
What Pennsylvania law(s) are yo talking about? I live in PA and I’m aware of no such sweeping law. There’s this:

Title 18 Sec. 3505 // 2018

Makes it unlawful to operate a drone to intentionally or knowingly conduct surveillance of another person in a private place, operate in a manner that places another person in reasonable fear of bodily injury, or to deliver, provide, transmit or furnish contraband.
Thats it. If you read all the text the law is very subjective. Of course if you are just flying around and not peeping on anyone, you would have video evidence, but that does not prevent someone from filing a complaint and then having to defend yourself.

I feel like this is a large part of it. Drone flying is not that hard. Good photography is still mostly about composing the right shots, understanding lighting and post-processing skills. A good photographer could become a good drone-photographer with a fairly short learning curve. And that would lead to established pros expanding out with their existing clientele/reputation. At least that's my opinion of it. (as a complete amateur)

Great post. Pretty sure a great photographer will be able to get great results using a drone. On the other hand I don’t believe a great drone pilot will automatically become a great photographer.

Great post. Pretty sure a great photographer will be able to get great results using a drone. On the other hand I don’t believe a great drone pilot will automatically become a great photographer.

That's a FACT! Buying and Flying a drone does NOT teach you anything about photography. Night and DAY difference.

Just find the whales and sell your service to them. Don't advertise etc. Just go find the whales, and you only need one or two. What's a whale? People/companies with a lot of money.

Believe me, it's what I do for a living (not droning, that's just fun). The easiest way to have a lot of money is to surround yourself with people with a lot of money, then do business with them. Avoid the smelt like the plague, they will suck your time for little $.

BTW, one of my clients surprised me with my M2P as an incentive after I mentioned drones. That's why I'm here on this forum haha.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78