DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone been stopped from flying by the police in the UK...?

Thanks for your response. Are there any parks close to the centre of Manchester that you can think of that OK to fly in, assuming it’s not too busy?
Have you tried Turn Moss playing fields. Me and a small group of flyers fly there from time to time. Nice big open area

Reactions: Captain Oveur
Have you tried Turn Moss playing fields. Me and a small group of flyers fly there from time to time. Nice big open area
Hey Karl, Thanks. No I haven't. Thought about it though. A member on here has got in contact and suggested that a few people head down there. I'll take a look and mobbed see you down there one weekend.

Thanks for your reply. So I’ve had my MP2 2 weeks and keep going to a bit of green belt near Chorlton, Manchester. I only fly when it’s quiet, keep clear of people and houses etc. The app flags up old Trafford cricket ground s a no-fly zone but I’m nowhere near it. Point being, I’m not quite sure what I’d say if I got a tap on the shoulder from the boys in blue. Just practicing figure of 8s really.

As someone else stated, unless there is a bylaw that stops you from flying a drone in parks owned by the council (in my locality there is) and you are not causing a nuisance or disturbing people the police will only be interested in having a conversation with you from a curiosity perspective (like pulling over Lamborghini's!)
I have flown in my local park, although there is a local bylaw 'preventing' me from do so. Realistically, a member of council staff may approach me and say "You can't fly here, it's not allowed" at which point I land my drone and go on my merry way. I always fly safely and responsibly.

In theory at least, in the UK, you are allowed to fly anywhere where you have the landowners permission. This could include land open to the public with no such bylaw preventing drones flying, as permission would be assumed (by right of public access). A public highway or byway would also be legal technically. So if, for example, they did ask you to move on there would be nothing from preventing you moving off the park into a convenient location nearby that is publicly accessible and taking off again. Of course, with Dronesafe rules in mind at ALL times.

All of my interactions with the general public whilst piloting/flying have been positive - maybe I'm lucky. Most people are just curious, some nosey and the others couldn't care-less.
In my city the police also use drones so if they do in your neck of the woods they may be more understanding than you'd think!

The CAA proposed regulation requiring hobbyists to register their drone is ludicrous. It's already been explained why earlier in this thread but I suggest all brits follow my example and write to the CAA and to their local MP pointing out the futility of the idea.

I'll be happy to email a copy of my letter to the CAA to anybody who requests it.

The CAA proposed regulation requiring hobbyists to register their drone is ludicrous. It's already been explained why earlier in this thread but I suggest all brits follow my example and write to the CAA and to their local MP pointing out the futility of the idea.

I'll be happy to email a copy of my letter to the CAA to anybody who requests it.

There was a consultation regarding the charges for the above mentioned new regulation. You could have your say on the website. I think it is now closed, but I did write to them regarding the charge and as you note, suggesting the futility of the charges because only ALREADY responsible owners will bother to register. Unless it is done at time of purchase and the fee is more reasonable there will not be the uptake they suggest (based on US figures for part 107 and divided down per capita, even though the charge in the US is much much less than the proposed charge in the UK!).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesseLaw