DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone heard of a Mavic damaging property? (USA)

swright

Reactions
Hello there,

This is an open-ended question. I am just looking for some guidance based on your experiences, or your knowledge.

I recently got FAA certified and I’m looking to launch an aerial photography business. At the moment, I will be working alone, but I am doing this that way I can legally register my drone for commercial use.
Since this is my own corporation, I know that I will be responsible for any damage to a client’s property, as well as my own property. The thing is, I’m a full time college student, do not currently have a job, and I cannot really afford State Farm’s $700/year insurance premiums. However I have DJI Care for my Mavic in case I crash it working for a client.
My reasoning is that a Mavic is very light and I have not heard of one breaking someone’s window or busting into someone’s roof. The Mavic also has obstacle avoidance to prevent certain accidents.

What I would like to know from you is, have you ever heard of a small drone doing $500+ damages to property? And if you were in this situation like I am, what would you do?

Your responses are appreciated.

I haven't ether but you have to look at it this was too .
What If...Something was to happen ( unlikely ) but did and you were sued . Well if you can't afford the 700 bucks to get Insurance how you gonna pay for that .Just saying and good luck with whatever you do .Thumbswayup

Murphy’s law will always apply. The possibility is there but soooo unlikely. What if you had a fly away that crashed into the windscreen of a driving truck that then reacted and swerved into school bus.
I would really recommend that if you cant afford insurance, you probably shouldn’t be trading. Either way, I wish you the best in your endeavours.

The only thing you need is to download an app call verifly in Android or iOS. It provide you instant insurance for up to a million dollars for $15 or $20 bucks a hour.

Reactions: WParm and AnzacJack
Look into why one becomes a limited liability corporation in the first place. An LLC is formed so that personal assets cannot be attached.

" LLCs are similar to corporations in that they offer limited liability protection to its owners."

Reactions: MavicMo
Look into why one becomes a limited liability corporation in the first place. An LLC is formed so that personal assets cannot be attached.

" LLCs are similar to corporations in that they offer limited liability protection to its owners."
I was just about to post this. OP, just make sure your corporation is set up properly and you have nothing to worry about. A properly set up corporation also has many tax benefits as well. Companies like LegalZoom can do everything you need for a few hundred dollars Including setting up your business license and tax ID etc and you can do it all online pretty much.

I was just about to post this. OP, just make sure your corporation is set up properly and you have nothing to worry about. A properly set up corporation also has many tax benefits as well. Companies like LegalZoom can do everything you need for a few hundred dollars Including setting up your business license and tax ID etc and you can do it all online pretty much.
The OP is a college student... I do not think that will be interested in doing that and then at the end of each year paying uncle Sam a lot of money for that privilege. Does 107 pilots need to do that? He may get a job done but it maybe difficult to find multiple jobs. Drone pilots can be found pretty much everywhere.

Hit the hood or the roof of my Lexus and you'll do more than $500 of damage, plus the cost of covering my rental ($30-50 a day) as my car is in the shop. Hit and damage my windshield in any way at all is $1,400 plus installation. I don't care if you barely chip it or if you fully crack it, it's your fault and you'll fix it to how it was before: with an OEM replacement.
It's really not that hard to do $500 of damage.

Reactions: swright
What I would like to know from you is, have you ever heard of a small drone doing $500+ damages to property? And if you were in this situation like I am, what would you do?
The short answer is no. I've never heard of a drone doing any significant damage to third party property but that's not really the point. As has already been pointed out already in this thread, it would be really easy to rack-up well over $500 worth of damage even in a minor accident. If you're going to be trading as a professional drone pilot, you're going to have to get insurance. For one thing, you'll probably find that your clients will insist on it anyway. Whether you get a annual policy or pay per flight policy is really up to you. But you're going to need some kind of third party liability, no matter how unlikely it may be that you're ever going to use it. What if you lost control and your drone hit a person straight in the face (unlikely I know) and caused serious injury or even a death. Without insurance in a situation like that, you're going to be in serious poo and will more than likely be looking at some jail time if you're not fully insured. It's just not worth the risk. If you can't afford the insurance, then don't trade. It really is as simple as that. Sorry to put a downer on it for you but that's the way it is.......

Last edited:
If you collide with a person & damage an eye, I can assure you it will cost you a lot more than $500! Everyone should fly with 3rd party liability insurance regardless of whether you’re flying for commercial or recreational reasons

Reactions: Chirp
The only thing you need is to download an app call verifly in Android or iOS. It provide you instant insurance for up to a million dollars for $15 or $20 bucks a hour.

Wow, I really like this! It’s just want I need to start everything up. I’ll probably use this for the first few jobs until I can afford the liability insurance with State Farm.

Thanks for your response. Just sharing that pretty much solved my problem.

Reactions: macoman
That verify app is really something to investigate and see what it actually covers . Look for verbage that indicates if the person flying the drone does so in a negligent manner then no coverage would be in place. Thats the kind of clause that always gives the insurer the "out".

They just state that the drone pilot was flying in an unsafe manner even if not the case and then you are tied up in documents and potentially court battles trying to prove your case.

Wow, I really like this! It’s just want I need to start everything up. I’ll probably use this for the first few jobs until I can afford the liability insurance with State Farm.

Thanks for your response. Just sharing that pretty much solved my problem.
make sure you check with the insurance company if you plan on flying as a business and be upfront. Personal liability insurance is very different from commercial liability and the cost is very different as well. As a business owner for over 20 years, I know what I’m talking about. Just a heads up.

If you collide with a person & damage an eye, I can assure you it will cost you a lot more than $500! Everyone should fly with 3rd party liability insurance regardless of whether you’re flying for commercial or recreational reasons
It would even be worse if you got struck by lightning at the same time, however, the lightning strike is 100 times more probable than causing an eye injury to an onlooker with your drone. But a good scout is always prepared. :D

It would even be worse if you got struck by lightning at the same time, however, the lightning strike is 100 times more probable than causing an eye injury to an onlooker with your drone. But a good scout is always prepared. :D
I’d love to know what you base your ‘statistic’ on! But, as we all know, we take out insurance for what we hope never happens but, when it does, phew!

Hello there,

This is an open-ended question. I am just looking for some guidance based on your experiences, or your knowledge.

I recently got FAA certified and I’m looking to launch an aerial photography business. At the moment, I will be working alone, but I am doing this that way I can legally register my drone for commercial use.
Since this is my own corporation, I know that I will be responsible for any damage to a client’s property, as well as my own property. The thing is, I’m a full time college student, do not currently have a job, and I cannot really afford State Farm’s $700/year insurance premiums. However I have DJI Care for my Mavic in case I crash it working for a client.
My reasoning is that a Mavic is very light and I have not heard of one breaking someone’s window or busting into someone’s roof. The Mavic also has obstacle avoidance to prevent certain accidents.

If you are planning to use your drone for your business then you should get some general liability insurance for your corporation to protect the business (and you) from exposure should your drone cause damage or injury. General liability insurance is not expensive and you can tweak the premiums by setting a higher deductible.

Hello there,

State Farm only charged me $60

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas