DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone used a Samsung 512gb Evo SD card Yet?

I've been using 128GB and 256GB Evo Plus cards with much success. I don't see why the non plus versions wouldn't work (for me the marginal cost of the plus version was minimal).

I'm currently using the 256 Evo Select but Amazon has the 512 Evo Select for $64. I believe the 512 would hold 36 hours of 1080 video. The 256's are $27, might just get tow of these.

I have while I was waiting for my dedicated MM SD card to arrive in the post (the 512 card was a freebie with my Galaxy s5e tablet preorder). Worked fine, but I don't think I did 2.7k video (as my actual SD card showed up soon after).

Why would you want to?
There's an old expression about putting too may eggs in one basket.
You shouldn't have any more images on your drone's memory card than you are prepared to lose in one incident.
If you value your work, why would you send it out flying again?

> There's an old expression about putting too may eggs in one basket.

Agreed, but this is precisely why you should have larger SD cards. Whenever you land you copy the media over to your PC, but then don't delete it off the card. The card acts as an additional backup to your PC.

Reactions: milovan
Whenever you land you copy the media over to your PC, but then don't delete it off the card. The card acts as an additional backup to your PC.
Not many flyers carry their computer when out flying.
Having several small cards is a lot simpler and easier to carry.

I must be lucky. I've not lost an SD card in my life.Total non issue for me. Knock on wood.
SD cards are low risk .... the device they fly in might be a different category.
If you don't value your work, fly as big a card as you like.
If your work is valuable, you probably don't want to risk losing it every time you send it out.

SD cards are low risk .... the device they fly in might be a different category.
If you don't value your work, fly as big a card as you like.
If your work is valuable, you probably don't want to risk losing it every time you send it out.
No argument. But I wonder - it seems like I hear a lot more complaints from people who forgot to put their card back in their device than have ever had them fail. Now, if you're on a muti - day shoot or something, I agree completely with you.

No argument. But I wonder - it seems like I hear a lot more complaints from people who forgot to put their card back in their device than have ever had them fail. Now, if you're on a muti - day shoot or something, I agree completely with you.
Card failure is possible but I wasn't talking about that at all.

This might explain things better:
Although getting the biggest SD card is a popular option with forum members, if you value your imagery it might not be a good idea.
Whenever I see questions about the biggest SD cards I'm reminded of a story of a "pro" shooting a music video with his Inspire on a boat off Miami.
He was one of those get-the-biggest- SD-card guys because bigger is always better?
He had been shooting all day and and at the end of the eighth flight when bringing his inspire in, it hit an outrigger pole on the game boat he was using for a camera boat.
The Inspire went straight down in a busy shipping channel with his whole day's work on his expensive high capacity SD card.
He was disappointed about the Inspire but more concerned about the work he'd lost.

The full story is here:

You only need about 8-10 GB to hold a whole flight of full 4K video or over 3000 jpg photos.
It makes a lot more sense to have several 16GB cards and swap out between flights so that you don't risk losing precious work every time you fly.

Card failure is possible but I wasn't talking about that at all.

This might explain things better:
Although getting the biggest SD card is a popular option with forum members, if you value your imagery it might not be a good idea.
Whenever I see questions about the biggest SD cards I'm reminded of a story of a "pro" shooting a music video with his Inspire on a boat off Miami.
He was one of those get-the-biggest- SD-card guys because bigger is always better?
He had been shooting all day and and at the end of the eighth flight when bringing his inspire in, it hit an outrigger pole on the game boat he was using for a camera boat.
The Inspire went straight down in a busy shipping channel with his whole day's work on his expensive high capacity SD card.
He was disappointed about the Inspire but more concerned about the work he'd lost.

The full story is here:

You only need about 8-10 GB to hold a whole flight of full 4K video or over 3000 jpg photos.
It makes a lot more sense to have several 16GB cards and swap out between flights so that you don't risk losing precious work every time you fly.
Gotcha. I had been considering the water angle.

I started with 32GB cards but now want something larger. The larger cards drive down the cost of smaller cards. May be ready to grab some 128GB’s,

It is a mixed bag of preferences on sizes. I have not tried the 512g, as I am in the camp of mitigating the risk spreading data among smaller cards.
With my MA, I usually carry 64's and swap them out, if needed as back up, rotation or a whim. I use the EVO's, cost is favorable and they have been reliable for me. I did purchase a 128 and use it in my MM EVO Select 128, and also have a 64 in the case. I am in the habit of transferring files from the cards to a portable 1T SSD drives for storage and then removing files from the card. Part of my wrap up.

Reactions: Mrveronn

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190