DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hasselblad "color science" sucks.....

Gemini8026

Reactions
All my photos have such a strong green/yellow presence and I find my colors are all over the place. Compared to my Nikon D850 which I love working with this thing has AWFUL colors. Every photo I have taken I seems to just have awful color rendition. I was never impressed with my M2P either but I swear the M3 is worse. I just loathe it and wish there was a way to turn it off so that it wasnt baked into the raw files. First thing I do in photoshop is head to the yellow saturation tab and turn it down a LOT.

The gimbal is rarely center. We all know that as well.

BUT

It flies good, and the video/pictures are great. My battery life has been solid. I am disappointed this thing didnt come out refined and on a polished level, but it's potential is there. DJI, if you are reading this it would be awesome if we had the ability to turn off the color processing you guys bake in in future updates.

Im hoping for firmware improvements. Here are a few samples I have shot so far.

Attachments

• DJI_0130-2.jpg
    DJI_0130-2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 239
  • DJI_0130-1.jpg
    DJI_0130-1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 233
  • DJI_0088-3.jpg
    DJI_0088-3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 238
Man colour troubles or not those are some beautiful shots you've captured there!

Hopefully you will be able to figure something out within the settings or after the infamous firmware updates in January 22.

I take it the images you've shared in your first post are as is from the drone? I just assumed they had all been taken during golden hour to account for the strong yellows, but what do I know!

I don't see anything wrong with these shots. If you shoot RAW then you should be able to make the photos look however you want them to be.

Here are a few samples I have shot so far.
Your third example with the truck and the windmill is pro level material....fantastic work.

All my photos have such a strong green/yellow presence and I find my colors are all over the place. Compared to my Nikon D850 which I love working with this thing has AWFUL colors. Every photo I have taken I seems to just have awful color rendition. I was never impressed with my M2P either but I swear the M3 is worse. I just loathe it and wish there was a way to turn it off so that it wasnt baked into the raw files. First thing I do in photoshop is head to the yellow saturation tab and turn it down a LOT.

BUT

It flies good, and the video/pictures are great. My battery life has been solid. I am disappointed this thing didnt come out refined and on a polished level, but it's potential is there. DJI, if you are reading this it would be awesome if we had the ability to turn off the color processing you guys bake in in future updates.

It’s the cyan. If you use Adobe ACR make the blue channel more cyan in the profile processing tab. It’s the very last tab that most people forget about and that will help the issue.

I'm being a picker of nits, and not the ones referencing display brightness but it bothers me all the people referencing HNCS as "science" - It's Hasselblad Natural Color Solution, even if you hate the Solution. 😆

Reactions: NG Wildman
Man colour troubles or not those are some beautiful shots you've captured there!

I take it the images you've shared in your first post are as is from the drone? I just assumed they had all been taken during golden hour to account for the strong yellows, but what do I know!

Ditto, was going to comment just this and you beat me to it.

The comparison is apples and oranges. Nikon D850 is a full format sensor with 14 bit colour depth (assuming you shoot raw & have selected 14 bit). If you want to compare colour reproduction you should make all settings Manual and the same on the D850 & M3 then set the WB with a neutral grey card on both devices then photograph a colour checker card like a Xrite colorchecker in the same light conditions. Also once you open a Raw file in Photoshop you’ve lost all the power of Raw capture and substantially reduced your ability to adjust the image. It’s like using a Ferrari to going shopping.

Reactions: itallica

BUT

I seriously doubt true "Hasselblad" since DJI bought them a few years ago. Is the quality we associate with Hasselblad relevant any longer - I'm doubting it, but I never could afford anything Hasselblad in the first place. Have seen / handled some of the older stuff; but have to believe that since DJI owns them now and going super small in sensors - true Hasselblad is gone. Just another marketing gimmick to get people to think they are getting a super awesome camera and it's not even close. Kind of like the M3 is turning out to be - right now.

As always - just my opine / thoughts.

Nostalgia aside, some of us remember film and in particular Fuji Velvia reversal which had very saturated colour and a slight green hue. Film hues were always different, one persons view was different to another and pros had their favourites. I'd hope that Hasselblad is retaining its expertise even if accountants are doing their best to exploit the name. I find the M2P a wonderful camera, within its limitations of size and weight, really quite amazing. And will eventually get the M3 having appreciated the benefits of a M4/3 sensor on the I1P and longing for ProRes422HQ on a drone (in a reasonable price range). I'm sure it won't perform like 100MP H6D or a Red but it also won't cost me $26K plus the lens etc.

Reactions: Point Zero
BTW these are nice photographs, agree with similar comments above, nice to see good composition instead of the boring birds eye view.
I hope Growmedia is was joking. Setting WD to manual is good if your attentive enough to note the changes which are quite dramatic as the sun goes down or the clouds roll in. I think auto is not bad. Otherwise use the following;
Color TemperatureLight Source
1000-2000 KCandlelight
2500-3500 KTungsten Bulb (household variety)
3000-4000 KSunrise/Sunset (clear sky)
4000-5000 KFluorescent Lamps
5000-5500 KElectronic Flash
5000-6500 KDaylight with Clear Sky (sun overhead)
6500-8000 KModerately Overcast Sky
9000-10000 K

Shade or Heavily Overcast Sky

If you're processing DNGs in Lightroom, you can use Auto White Balance or pick some settings or manually change the color temperature.

I hope Adobe gets the lens and camera profile presets out quickly. Besides the color issues using the generic RAW profile, I have found I have to adjust the Distortion +4 to get straight lines.

I've been sliding the Yellow Hue slider to -20 and distortion at +4 and it's been acceptable.

The hue change definitely helps, but White balance can still be strange from picture to picture

As for drone photos, it's not bad.
However, if we are talking about the sensor provided by hasselblad and offered by NCS, it is TRAGIC.
The Hasselblad Natural Color Solution (HNCS) was developed for serious users who demand the utmost color accuracy.
In the photos from the M3 you can not see it and all they write about the colors of this drone is marketing gibberish.

Reactions: Above360
I'm not sure what colour science has to do with shooting raw?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan