DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have I got the bottle?

Apparently the mini automatically goes into atti mode if gps is lost.
The Mini doesn't automatically goes into atti mode if gps is lost.
Atti Mode is just what you have if you are in P-GPS and lose the GPS.

Can you get inside the structure? I’ve seen one flown down a very deep underground shaft on ATTI (London Crossrail access shaft), but the pilot was in the shaft too. If outside and dropping in, I would set the RTH altitude to well above the tower height, then if it loses contact it should, theoretically, go directly to the RTH altitude before travelling horizontally and you can recover control when it emerges. Maybe. Those shells are indeed very thin, and they may not even have steel in them, some are about 100-150mm of non-ferrous microfibre-reinforced concrete poured monolithically and continuously; you could possibly find out with a stud finder. Keep us posted, it’s quite interesting.

Reactions: Mel 08
I think it's more interesting from the outside than it's going to be from the inside but it's probably doable. Be careful because I think it's going to be like flying in a closet.

Can you get inside the structure? I’ve seen one flown down a very deep underground shaft on ATTI (London Crossrail access shaft), but the pilot was in the shaft too. If outside and dropping in, I would set the RTH altitude to well above the tower height, then if it loses contact it should, theoretically, go directly to the RTH altitude before travelling horizontally and you can recover control when it emerges. Maybe. Those shells are indeed very thin, and they may not even have steel in them, some are about 100-150mm of non-ferrous microfibre-reinforced concrete poured monolithically and continuously; you could possibly find out with a stud finder. Keep us posted, it’s quite interesting.
There is loads of hi tensile rebar in them.
I should no I have personally munched the bar from the concrete on several occasions.
I used to work for a demolition company that used to demolish power stations

Must have been missinformation
I must have missunderstood. Just read the manual again and it states. The mini automatically goes into atti mode iff the gps signal is weak or compass is lost.

Last edited:
You won't likely lose the drone. The pieces will be waiting to be recovered at the bottom of the tower :)

I must have missunderstood. Just read the manual again and it states. The mini automatically goes into atti mode iff the gps signal is weak or compass is lost.
That's just DJI's imprecise use of language.

Mount a parabolic mirror on a second drone and hover that drone over the top of the cooling tower. Send the second drone into the cooling tower using the mirror to reflect the signal from your controller. Step 1, make sure your video is turned on, step 2, slowly descend to the bottom of the cooling tower, step 3, don't listen to me, I have only been flying drones for 2 months and have no idea what I'm talking about! Please post all videos of this flight, it should be epic.

You've heard every explanation. You want to do, then do it, and show us the video.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King