DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have you ever forgotten to put your micro SD card back into your drone?

Have you ever forgotten to put your micro SD card back into your drone?

• Total voters
Lucky for me my Mavic Air has 8GB of internal memory so I could still take photos.

I’m confused. Why would you need to take the SD card out when you can simply connect the drone to your computer to download files. I have not worked with my drone for a long time so I may be missing something here.

Thankfully the MA2 has a decent amount of internal memory which saved me a couple of times.

Touchwood I’ve forgotten a couple of times but each time they were just for joy flights/ muck around. My new SD card reader glows bright red when a sd card is inserted and this reminds me to take it out better then my old USB stick style.

I’m surprised there are people that have never done it. I’d assume you guys have only been flying for a month or so yes. Lol.

Or just so gripped in the wind at the summit of some mountain that you forget to push the record button, or accidentally double tap record thinking is running . . . and its not. . . or just show up with an almost full card in there and the drone is a mile out when it goes to internal and no way is that going to be enough . . . I think it has all happened to me. . . . I have more stories too, omg LOL!

Reactions: Mavikhan
Or just so gripped in the wind at the summit of some mountain that you forget to push the record button, or accidentally double tap record thinking is running . . . and its not. . . or just show up with an almost full card in there and the drone is a mile out when it goes to internal and no way is that going to be enough . . . I think it has all happened to me. . . . I have more stories too, omg LOL!

Hell yes, when you have just captured that amazing shot. Ah yes that was cool, endorphins activated. You press the record button to stop capturing. But it starts recording.....wtf? Anxiety follows Noooooo....

I carry 2 cards and rotate them, although I have been guilty of leaving the SD card in my computer for my DSLR and realizing it after I turned it on that there was no SD card. That's what I get for taking some time to clean out and reformat my spares.:p Internal storage has saved me on the drone for the most part.

I’m confused. Why would you need to take the SD card out when you can simply connect the drone to your computer to download files. I have not worked with my drone for a long time so I may be missing something here.
For one thing, the AC has to be turned on.
The gimbal cover/clamp has to be removed and with where the port is, unfold the legs.
It can also be slower for the transfer.

Many times I've forgotten to press record, but I've only once forgotten to replace the microSD card. We were touring Vancouver Island and arrived in beautiful Tofino on the west coast. The sun was just setting with a full moon rising. Perfect! Gotta get some shots. Rushed to the beach where I met a group of people launching their own P3P like mine. Got mine set up, remembered to press record this time, but see an error message. No SD card. Huh?

I'd not only forgotten to stick the card back into my Phantom, but I'd left it sitting on the table in our previous hotel room, 3hrs drive away in Parksville on the opposite side of Vancouver Island. D'oh!

What's the chance of being able to buy a new card here in the tiny town of Tofino? It's not like they have a Best Buy or Walmart nearby. But, being a tourist town, the local convenience store sold 'em. Back in business, I returned to the same beach the next night.

No SD card.

Next evening.

I change the SD card whenever I change batteries. This is a safeguard against data loss in a worst scenario situation.

Great to read that a number of you likewise download your data as soon as possible. The "What if...?" principle is always a good one.

I've only ever kissed the P4P+ once as soon as it landed, after getting what I was sure was the best footage yet, so there was no way that micro SD card was going up again without the data first being transferred - and double backed up.

Myself, I've never forgotten - but I know that others have. But how many of you have forgotten? And has it happened to you more than once?
Far worse than forgetting the reinsert the SD card is the failure to press the x$%^&*( recording button.!!! Worse yet, only learning your forgot to record when you get home from the 2 hour drive and anxiously check your card images.

Reactions: Tomk_

I find it far more convenient to take the card out of the drone which can remain folded up and stick it in a high speed reader whereas I find it a bit of a pain to connect the drone via USB cable since I need to unfold it which there's no space for so it needs to balance on my lap while transferring.

Reactions: DanMan32
I never take it out, transfer from drone to the 27" Mac. I just format it in the M2Z when I think I'm getting full. Since I changed to 128 GB I really don't have to worry about it. I Did the same with the Mavic Air.

Never take it out so don't have to worry about not re-installing it. Have forgot to empty once before the next outing. Thank goodness for internal storage.

I have never forgotten because I have a "Preflight Check list"
To do a visual check for cracks in the hull. Check battery 100 % charged.
RC 100% charged. Ipad 100% Charged. MicroSD. Formated and inserted.
Map, Cashed on Ipad, and not conflicting with other traffic. Camera, make sure gimbal support not attached. I have six check list, to help me remember info.

I just ordered a pack of 5 64GB Extreme Pro SD cards. Two will go with the M2Z making it 3 total there, and same for the MM1.

The fifth is going into my S20 FE. I think the Ultra I had in there is going bad. I get backup errors when it gets to the big video files.
When it was mounted on the HTC, HTC would claim it was removed when it hits the videos.

I need a way to keep track of each set of cards, especially if I rotate them per flight.

I just ordered a pack of 5 64GB Extreme Pro SD cards. Two will go with the M2Z making it 3 total there, and same for the MM1.

The fifth is going into my S20 FE. I think the Ultra I had in there is going bad. I get backup errors when it gets to the big video files.
When it was mounted on the HTC, HTC would claim it was removed when it hits the videos.

I need a way to keep track of each set of cards, especially if I rotate them per flight.
Plenty out there.. $10-$80. Pick the size you need and features.
Search “sd card case”

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661