DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have you lost a prop mid air?

I have had a prop come off. i had been hovering about 50 feet and was bringing it back down and the prop came off. it tumble down and hit and dented the hood of my truck, sad day for the drone

I'm new to this site, and also new to the Mavic's, but I've been flying drones and RC planes and heli's for many years. And while I don't know the full details in this case, I will say that 95% or more of bits falling off flying machines of whatever shape could have been prevented by doing a proper pre-flight inspection.

Before I fly my Mavic Pro, I check that the arms are properly in place and that there is no play in the hinges. I check that the battery is securely in place. I do not fly if my controller has less than 50% battery left or if the Mavic has less than 65%. You never know you might just need those extra few %, especially if the wind is blowing higher up. To check the props, make sure that the spring is doing its' thing just push down lightly on the prop hub, it should bounce back immediately. if not, the spring is gone and the prop will come off. Check if the prop is sitting square on the shaft, if not one of the 3 tabs has broken and the prop will come off. Check that the tabs are engaged properly by trying to turn the prop by hand while holding the motor.

This whole process takes about 25-30s at the beginning of each flight and can save you mega $$$$$.

I agree with Lihartog, cheap insurance, quick, and easy to perform. I always check the props and the battery before flights. I had a crash about a year a go and didn’t check the props. The left front prop had a tab break off, it jammed in the windings and scuffed then up. Had to change the whole arm. So to all you prop non checkers take heed. Learn from my mistakes.

I lost one 200 feet in the air in front of my house. It went into a full tumble straight down. It hung in a boxwood shrub. No visible damage except a couple of props. Incredible! Evidently it had hidden damage on the gimbal. After that I had severe jello effect when taking video. For Christmas this year, my wife bought me a new camera gimbal assembly. IN stalled it and she is as good as new!

I’m always surprised at the cavalier attitude some folks have with putting a thousand dollar drone in the air.

Folks will pinch a penny and spend a pound.

“ Hey, these flimsy third party props are cheaper than the OEM props sold by DJI... going to save me some money!” Lol

Reactions: Machineshop
If your not checking and double checking your prop condition before EVERY flight you will eventually have a problem. Murphy's law #63,987, WHATEVER can happen will eventually happen. I've also seen very hard to see cracks cause failure in flight. Run a finger tip across both edges of your propellers to feel a problem that may be very hard to see. A chip or crack will cause imbalance, excessive vibration and probable failure.
I check my props.. I have been flying back to the P3 series and can say I have never had a prop issue. I rarely removed my props from my old Phantom but still checked them before I flew. Mavic Pro. One set of props for 2 years and not a single problem. I think you run into problems if the props hit something on a hard landing or landing it in grass etc. or in flight. The other issue is the locking spring and hub.. I replaced my props just because the blades were moving freely. When you first get them they are pretty tight on the hinges. After two years mine were pretty floppy decided it was time. Again check the hubs and the spring to make certain they are locking in. Oh I also rarely take my props off.

Fly it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShermanL