DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have you no Fear!

PilotRN

Reactions
Being that I live in Florida, I find myself often flying over large bodies of water... whether it be the ocean... whether it be the Bay... or nearby Lakes. I never give it a second thought.."what if"? This is $1300 suspended on 4 motors! Just curious as to other pilots out there....
HAVE YOU NO FEAR?

yes and No i have no fear of flying over anything.

i do have moments though where i am more concerned about my abilities than the Mavics.

Flying over things is fine.

It is flying under or behind things that scare the crap out of me, so i dont do it.

Reactions: wg1987
I get twitchy flying low over water, and also get a thrill when chucking it off a cliff top and flying downwards. Apart from that I just think what will be will be, and I'll be lucky to still have it when eBay time comes around.

Reactions: wg1987
Being that I live in Florida, I find myself often flying over large bodies of water... whether it be the ocean... whether it be the Bay... or nearby Lakes. I never give it a second thought.."what if"? This is $1300 suspended on 4 motors! Just curious as to other pilots out there....
HAVE YOU NO FEAR?
Yes. To properly operate the aircraft and ensure safe flying, one should always fear the worst can happen. If flying over large bodies of I fear it may never return. When flying low over water, I fear it will sink into the water. When flying over a city or town, I fear I may crash it or lose signal. It's this fear I use to fly cautiously and ensure all systems and settings are what it should in order to avoid, or at least minimize any incident. If a technical failure seems imminent, I run through an entire battery doing a low altitude LOS flight to ensure that the drone won't drop out of the sky.

HOWEVER, this is not to be confused with being afraid to fly, or having too much fear. Too much fear can cause a problem during flight. If you are riddled with fear during a flight, then if something goes wrong, you panic, which will end in a disaster. Be fearful before takeoff, ensure all systems are nominal, but be calm during flight and stay focused in an incident.

I once lost connection to my drone while it was over water. My RC had a technical glitch. I knew my RTH was set properly, so even if I couldn't steer the drone, I know the drone wasn't going to encounter any problems on the way back. Fortunately I got the RC to reconnect and my drone was indeed almost home by then. I brought it back in to do a quick check, but it was just a one time unexpected disconnect.

It is a piece of equipment. Man made! It is not a question of whether a failure will occur,....but when and why. If you are not willing to see at least the cost of the equipment be lost,....then you should not be flying.
Now that is not to say,...we want to see the loss. Nor am I saying we should fly with abandon. We should all fly with common sense. Use every precaution we can. But what I am saying,......expect the possibility of loss with every flight. As no one flies believing this is the flight where I will lose my drone. But we are all aware,.....it does happen. And this time might be your time to post the story.

Reactions: roflyer
I'd like to relax when I fly, but I know the unexpected can happen. My home built drones performed flawlessly but crashed. One crashed after a prop failure. Another crashed because of a bad cell on a lipo. The lipo crash was avoidable because I took of knowing the battery was bad. The prop break was completely unexpected.

While I don't sneeze at the cost of this little guy, I certainly don't treat it like a china doll. I want to get great footage in unique locations. No fear here.

Over water I am mostly worried that I will not be able to retrieve the Mavic.
On open land I am calm. In public areas I worry about it hitting people.

Rob

Reactions: grizzard
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne