DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Having Probelms with Gimbal

WillDunwoody

Reactions
I've had the Mavic Air for around a year now, when I bought it it was love at first flight. Recently however i've been having a few issues with the gimbal. It seems to get stuck sometimes and I can't move it up or down. Or another issue would be that if I was to pan down, it would reach the half way mark and stop, but if I continue to pan down nothing happens, but if I pan up with the remote it will do nothing till it thinks it has reached the point where it stops then continue to pan up from where it left off. If this makes sense. Has anyone had issues like this? I have attached a video as an example.

I've had the Mavic Air for around a year now, when I bought it it was love at first flight. Recently however i've been having a few issues with the gimbal. It seems to get stuck sometimes and I can't move it up or down. Or another issue would be that if I was to pan down, it would reach the half way mark and stop, but if I continue to pan down nothing happens, but if I pan up with the remote it will do nothing till it thinks it has reached the point where it stops then continue to pan up from where it left off. If this makes sense. Has anyone had issues like this? I have attached a video as an example.

Is there a ‘gimbal overload ‘ warning?

Did u launch or landed from a dusty or sandy place?

Before anything , i would just give the ‘gimbal area’ a good blow to clean up any foreign particles might be obstructing the movement of the gimbal.
( happened to me before, after cleaning up, all is fine and good)

after you have cleaned it do a gimbal calibration in the app and see if it goes through the whole process

Reactions: Air_Joe
Thanks for the reply guys. I thought it might have been happening because of a dusty surface but I checked and everything was fine. I gave it a good blow out and just moved the gimbal around with my finger to see if there was something stuck but it didn't seem so. It happens intermittently. I could be flying along just fine and then it just happens, then once it fixes itself it's fine again for a while then it would happen again. I have also done the gimbal calibration and it calibrated but the camera was at an angle, I had to redo the process then it corrected itself. It's now out of warranty, and I'm not sure if it would be worth fixing cost-wise. Air_joe did this happen to you intermittently or did it just happen once then it was fine? It happened a few months ago once and I had no problems since. But this past weekend I was filming all weekend and it happened quite a few times. Thanks for your help.

Calibrating the gimbal wheel on the remote is also something you could try. You will find it in the remote controller settings in the GO4 app under remote controller calibration.

Thanks for the reply guys. I thought it might have been happening because of a dusty surface but I checked and everything was fine. I gave it a good blow out and just moved the gimbal around with my finger to see if there was something stuck but it didn't seem so. It happens intermittently. I could be flying along just fine and then it just happens, then once it fixes itself it's fine again for a while then it would happen again. I have also done the gimbal calibration and it calibrated but the camera was at an angle, I had to redo the process then it corrected itself. It's now out of warranty, and I'm not sure if it would be worth fixing cost-wise. Air_joe did this happen to you intermittently or did it just happen once then it was fine? It happened a few months ago once and I had no problems since. But this past weekend I was filming all weekend and it happened quite a few times. Thanks for your help.

Did yours have any ‘gimbal overloaded’ warnings ?

A couple of months back, My MA gimbal got ‘stuck’ at a certain angle when i was trying to do a panorama shot.
Tried a few times, everytime it got to that certain angle, it got ‘stuck’.
Brought my bird down, did a visual check. Nothing can be seen. Clean. My conclusion is , its so sensitive, even a little small grain of dust, which not necessary to be visible to naked eye might be the cause.
However i still give it a few hard blow. I always a cleaning brush with me in my bag. Gave it a few brush and blow again.
Thks goodness all was good again, till now.

Then again this is just a cheapest quick fix, it might be other issues. No harm trying since its free. [emoji1]

Gimbal overload, what temp are you flying in ? Overheating?

Did yours have any ‘gimbal overloaded’ warnings ?

A couple of months back, My MA gimbal got ‘stuck’ at a certain angle when i was trying to do a panorama shot.
Tried a few times, everytime it got to that certain angle, it got ‘stuck’.
Brought my bird down, did a visual check. Nothing can be seen. Clean. My conclusion is , its so sensitive, even a little small grain of dust, which not necessary to be visible to naked eye might be the cause.
However i still give it a few hard blow. I always a cleaning brush with me in my bag. Gave it a few brush and blow again.
Thks goodness all was good again, till now.

Then again this is just a cheapest quick fix, it might be other issues. No harm trying since its free. [emoji1]

I had the Panorama filed message a couple of times when taking Panoramas and having the gimbal down too low before staring.
This seemed to LOCK the gimbal for a little while but eventually unlocked and seemed to be ok after.

Maybe this caused an overload ?

Hi guys, Sorry for not getting back sooner, I'm back to work and getting some editing done in the evenings. I had another look around the gimbal and didn't see any signs of anything blocking. I also went back and looked at the data from the flight and there were no warnings and no overheating @ZX14-R. I'm just hoping that there was a bit of dirt stuck and that it fell out. It's just weird that it happens intermittently. Also, the lack of 'Gimbal Overload' is a cause for concern I think. I've seen that message before but that has been before takeoff if there is a bit of grass or something underneath blocking the calibration.

I think what I will do is buy a takeoff pad and see if that helps to stop any dirt getting in. When I'm at the beach I always bring a towel and take off from that, but perhaps there is still some sand getting in. Who knows, I will just have to keep an eye on it. I will be in the city this weekend so I will go in and ask them if they can help.

Here is the flight I had.

drone warning.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002