DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hawk Close Call

WoodMan

Reactions
While flying my M2Z yesterday for the 2nd time, something flashed across the screen while at about 150 ft high. Upon reviewing my video frame by frame to determine what it was, it appears to be an Io (Hawaiian Hawk) that flew by to check out the drone while in flight. Fortunately, it left me alone but this reminded me that they do live at my elevation (on the Big Island of Hawaii) so I guess all I can do it cross my fingers from here on out. It only appeared on 3 of the video frames so here's the best one. Up until now I thought I'd only have to watch out for trees.

Attachments

• Close Call Hawk.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 154
While flying my M2Z yesterday for the 2nd time, something flashed across the screen while at about 150 ft high. Upon reviewing my video frame by frame to determine what it was, it appears to be an Io (Hawaiian Hawk) that flew by to check out the drone while in flight. Fortunately, it left me alone but this reminded me that they do live at my elevation (on the Big Island of Hawaii) so I guess all I can do it cross my fingers from here on out. It only appeared on 3 of the video frames so here's the best one. Up until now I thought I'd only have to watch out for trees.

I have had many hawk encounters; my most frightening experience was a full out dogfight with an exceptionally large (and pissed off) hawk. I was flying in Southwest Idaho in the Owyhee mountains. I was in a very remote area with my wife who was my VO, not that I thought I needed one.
I was filming a rock tower, doing a circular pattern when out of the corner of my eye was a large shadow flash. I look up to see this large hawk full dive bombing the Mavic 2, just as my wife is alerting me WATCH OUT! Needless to say, I had to go into TOPGUN mode... seriously. My heart dropped when I realized what was occurring, in a moment I threw the drone into sport mode and cranked that sucker into overdrive. I zigged and zagged, all while trying to descend. This bird was on me like flies on... well you know ; ) it tried to attack me for a full minute and a half before I could get away. Thankfully, I had a full battery and a bit of luck. These birds here are fast and territorial, and nearly the size of eagles. 'Birds of Prey' as they are referred to.
Anybody on this thread from Eastern Oregon, Eastern Washington and Southwest Idaho knows what I am talking about.

Here is my advice to anyone trying to dogfight with a bird of prey.
1. Keep calm
2. Throw it into 'sport mode'
3. Fly like you have never flown
4. Do not try to ascend or descend as the DJI drones are slow when attempting to do this. It may slow your overall speed.
5. Straight lines and then attempt hard angled turns, DO NOT LET OFF THROTTLE! Get away from their area and fly to your LZ.
6. Leave area to the birds.
7. Find toilet paper from truck to go clean yourself.

Some great tips, especially #7!

I've heard if you annoy a bird of prey to go vertically UP ..... and get the flock out of there. I guess it's different to what usual prey might do? Anyway, glad to hear you got out of this one!

Some great tips, especially #7!

I've heard if you annoy a bird of prey to go vertically UP ..... and get the flock out of there. I guess it's different to what usual prey might do? Anyway, glad to hear you got out of this one!
I fully agree upon the vertical ascension. Birds cannot fly directly up. Keep flying up until they appear in view. Depending upon the bird, they can dive at up to 200mph to catch prey, so do not descend to avoid them, unless you can immediately safely get to the ground, as they will keep dive bombing you from above until they drive the drone into the ground!
HOW SPEEDY IS A PEREGRINE?
Peregrine Falcons are speedy birds that are popular with bird watchers and falconers all over the world. The peregrine has been used for over 4,000 years in falconry and are arguably the fastest animal on the planet. Their spectacular dives and quick chases are a wonder to behold. According to Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s web page, Allaboutbirds, in traveling flight peregrines average 25-34 mph. When pursuing prey they may reach speeds of up to 69 mph. This is fast. But what gains them their reputation is their dives, known as stoops. Peregrines are able to reach speeds of over 200 mph when diving toward prey. One research team clocked their study bird at 242 miles mph while in a stoop.

Thanks to everyone’s personal experiences and suggestions regarding bird attacks. I was fortunate this time and now better prepared per everyone’s suggestions. I’m torn between accelerating vertically vs trying to outrun them by zigzagging. I guess I’ll act out of instinct depending on the situation and battery level. The “remain calm” suggestion will be the hardest one to achieve but the best suggestion.

Is it possible to restart the M2Z in mid-air should it get attacked, stopped but still intact and falling? I’m just wondering if anyone’s been successful against an actual bird strike.

Thanks for everyone’s input because these hawks do live nearby and are a concern now that I’m flying and saw the one in my footage.

I’m torn between accelerating vertically vs trying to outrun them by zigzagging
Accelerate vertically first (up) then outrun by zigzagging while the bird is turning to make another run

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Is it possible to restart the M2Z in mid-air should it get attacked, stopped but still intact and falling? I’m just wondering if anyone’s been successful against an actual bird strike.
I have a lot of experience being attacked by ospreys on M2's. Broken props on several occasions, almost being hammered into the ground on the last attack with broken props. I was still able to recover and limp back. Elevation is your friend. The higher you are above the ground when the attack occurs, the more room you have to recover, if you can avoid multiple attacks on the way down before you can recover. M2 is very robust, and there isn't much for a talon to grab onto, unlike a Phantom. M2 also will still fly well with broken props.

Best advice is to keep ascending vertically in place, until you can fly away without being followed. They can dive far faster than you can descend, but they cannot fly vertically. They are also not used to prey that can ascend vertically, so it throws them off. Good luck!

And just like that, I've had an 'experience', without it being a close call as such.

Today I went flying over a couple of nearby paddocks that are full of bailed hay, waiting to be transported (I posted an image in the photos thread). I then crossed the highway and explored the neighbouring paddock where the bales were being collected, and returned the drone to my location.

Once back, I decided on a low flight over the bales, took off, then noticed I was being closely circled by a Wedge-Tailed Eagle. A beautiful bird, which then landed atop a telegraph pole just 10m above me.

I landed the craft ... I didn't know what to do next. Did the eagle want to swoop the drone? At that time, some of the local smaller birds decided to give the eagle a hurry-up, and harassed it until it returned from where it came - across the highway, near the bales being loaded. I didn't dare fly the drone back there - even though the loading was what I wanted to film.

I've got form with inadvertently annoying some of the native Australian bird life ..... having been repeatedly swooped by a Powerful Owl shooting stills .... it punctured my camera backpack with its talons in an unsuspecting swoop as I walked, it nearly knocked me down. It then swooped me a number of times on the way to the car. Very frightening - these things have serious talons (and are called Powerful Owl because they can rip off a possums head).

• Wow
Reactions: umanbean

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos