DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HDR PHOTO IDENTIFICATION

Yea, just set it on my dining room table and took two shots (non-hdr and hdr), then pulled off card and posted. No post-editing.
Thanks. I my case they were shot in bright sun but looking down without the more extreme brightness situation as yours. The improvement was a bit more subtle.

Yea, just set it on my dining room table and took two shots (non-hdr and hdr), then pulled off card and posted. No post-editing.

Attached file titles should identify what's what. Sorry for the greenish cast.

I wanted to see if I could do better on manual than the M2P does with its HDR mode. I could not: M2P wins. BTW, the built in HDR mode is fully automatic; no speed or aperture adjustment is possible.

However, true HDR is the best result of all in terms of properly exposing both the bright and dark. The attached Aurora image is from 3 brackets, processed with Aurora's automatic settings, no tweaks.

Since I always do some editing post, even if only to bump contrast a bit, always shooting brackets makes sense to me. Either I can choose the most pleasing exposure, or do the quick HDR process.

Attachments

• 1 M2P built in HDR photo.JPG
    1 M2P built in HDR photo.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 2 best i could do on manual.JPG
    2 best i could do on manual.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 3 Aurora HDR 3 bracket.jpeg
    3 Aurora HDR 3 bracket.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 14
I might be off target here but,.. an HDR photo is a result from several pictures as opposed to being a single picture. That is unless you are using a specific app that 'makes' the HDR picture.

I might be off target here but,.. an HDR photo is a result from several pictures as opposed to being a single picture. That is unless you are using a specific app that 'makes' the HDR picture.

Well strictly
1. it is multiple exposures, my SLR cameras have had an HDR mode since c.2010 , they take 3 shots bracketing exposure, combine them in the camera and save one file. So only one picture is ever saved. It doesn't need to be an app.
2. If the sensor captures enough dynamic range you can do an HDR image from a single shot. If it doesn't or won't save all the detail then you need to assemble multiple shots

Attached file titles should identify what's what. Sorry for the greenish cast.

I wanted to see if I could do better on manual than the M2P does with its HDR mode. I could not: M2P wins. BTW, the built in HDR mode is fully automatic; no speed or aperture adjustment is possible.

However, true HDR is the best result of all in terms of properly exposing both the bright and dark. The attached Aurora image is from 3 brackets, processed with Aurora's automatic settings, no tweaks.

Since I always do some editing post, even if only to bump contrast a bit, always shooting brackets makes sense to me. Either I can choose the most pleasing exposure, or do the quick HDR process.
Did you manually set keywords on those, because the keywords/tags contains "HDR" on the one you said is HDR :)

Did you manually set keywords on those, because the keywords/tags contains "HDR" on the one you said is HDR :)
not sure what you mean? I did not set any keywords or tags for purposes of the forum, nor change any metadata.

Thx for answering. How do I bring up that info?

I may be befuddled ( it’s happened before) but I still don’t fully understand the question, because the keyword is correct; that is to say, the above image was shot with, or generated by, the M2P’s ”on board” HDR mode. So it should have keyword HDR, yes ?

But, I am not convinced that the drone’s “on board“ HDR is in fact a composite of 2 or more differently exposed images to achieve high dynamic range.

That's the details pane in windows explorer, you can see those things if your right click a file and choose properties.

A HDR image doesn't need to be multiple exposures. If the sensor outputs enough range, you can process the raw data to and HDR file, you only need to merge files together if they the sensor didn't have the range at the ISO in use or if the format the files were saved as (JPG) doesn't .

Reactions: Made2Phly
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4