DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

He broke his shoulder!

do you think it’s bad that that little cable guide/cover is missing?
Maybe I’ll just have to be more careful when folding in that leg eh?

Ps thanks for all your help with this repair!

Can you post a picture and circle which is the cable guide cover? Any cover that has cables under it, I always try to cover.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
If you dont have the cover, a little gray duct tape over the opening wont hurt.
dude... not good news. the drone flies like a CHAMP, but the gimbal motor is getting overloaded CONSTANTLY!
I've tried recalibration the compass, the camera (with different ND filters, including the original included filter), and the IMU and each time I start turning back and forth, or simply flying with any "gusto" the gimbal just loses it and wobbles all over the place and I get the "gimbal motor overload" error...
Am I screwed? Is it gonna be best to just buy a new drone?
Thanks again for all your help!
-Ross

(a little example)

It might have a torn ribbon cable or damaged gimbal motor assembly. Dont buy a new drone, this one can be fixed.
here's the inspection video.
I think it looks to be in good shape!
the last thing I changed were two blades that were a little scuffed up and could have been off balancing and causing vibrations... can that cause a gimbal overload?
I still need to try flying it again once the rain stops here...
I trust you got my PayPal I sent. Thanks again for all your time!

here's the inspection video.
I think it looks to be in good shape!
the last thing I changed were two blades that were a little scuffed up and could have been off balancing and causing vibrations... can that cause a gimbal overload?
I still need to try flying it again once the rain stops here...
I trust you got my PayPal I sent. Thanks again for all your time!

Thank you for the Paypal, that wasnt necessary!

When the gimbal was installed in the drone, would it calibrate? At what point did you get the gimbal motor overload message?

That ribbon cable that you are looking at in your video is what I call the "bridge" cable that runs from the gimbal to the core board. The cable that Im talking about, runs under that yellow gimbal PCB into the innards of the gimbal. It is a stranded cable, and if one of the stands is broken, you will get an overload message. If you carefully lift that yellow cover, you will see where the cable plugs into the gimbal PCB.

Thank you for the Paypal, that wasnt necessary!

When the gimbal was installed in the drone, would it calibrate? At what point did you get the gimbal motor overload message?

That ribbon cable that you are looking at in your video is what I call the "bridge" cable that runs from the gimbal to the core board. The cable that Im talking about, runs under that yellow gimbal PCB into the innards of the gimbal. It is a stranded cable, and if one of the stands is broken, you will get an overload message. If you carefully lift that yellow cover, you will see where the cable plugs into the gimbal PCB.

The gimbal has successfully calibrated even immediately after the crash with the leg dangling off the drone.
one odd thing is I can hold the drone in my hand and (kind of) vigorously shake it and the gimbal never overloads.
But, when I take it up into the air (I've only ever flown in 10+ mph of wind since the crash PS) the camera will start by twitching a little bit, then when turning the drone to the left and to the right and sometimes just while in sport mode and stopping suddenly, the motor overload warning will show and the camera will go haywire as you saw in my YouTube clip.
Then if I just stop and hover, the camera will right itself, but not without the occasional twitch to the left or right.
I have tried landing the drone and initiating a gimbal calibration.. it thinks for a moment, the slowly pans the gimbal from one side to the other, then twitches back to the center and "completes" calibration.

Weather permitting, I'm going to try taking it up today with the new rotors+updated firmware+calibration of ALL the things and having just disassembled the camera.

If I'm still getting overloads, then I'll disassemble the camera again and try and take a peak at the stranded cable. (crazy to think that cable could have been effected but it's totally worth a shot!

Thanks for your time!

-Ross

Oh, SNAP!! That makes me cringe to look at it! I had to be a pretty hard lick my man because they're pretty tough. Everything's got that old breaking point though.. hope you get it fixed back okay. [emoji108]

I do have them for cheaper, but since you already ordered that one, you should go with it.

If you need help with the install, let me know. I have already spilled blood a few times installing the hinge pins, so Im already baptised by fire.
I am a new member, but you seem like I stand up guy. I hope your business always does well.

Thank you for that! Maybe some day, I'll have more than 2 shekels to rub together. (Money and me seem to go 2 different ways)

Hi Rob @ Thunderdrones,

I just wanted to add my appreciation for your contributions to this forum. You will be the first person I contact if I ever screw up. Hopefully not TOO soon.

Reactions: Former Member
30mph into a phone line.
Just ordered a replacement "shoulder joint" off of Cloud City. Repairing tomorrow!
View attachment 63401
View attachment 63402

Trust me... the line came out of nowhere.. see for yourself!

Cloud City Drones are AWESOME guys .... bought my 1st drone drone there .... bought my MP2 and Goggles from EBay ... goggles were used with the MP until I got the MP2 ... found out that they needed a software update to work with the MP2 ... well guess what ... Cloud City Drones updated my purchased from EBay goggles to my purchased from EBay MP2 .... FOR FREE !!!!! Because I had bought my 1st MP from them ..... NOW THATS a reason for me to not deal with anyone else for anything related to my drones [emoji851]

Reactions: rossmoney
Cloud City Drones are AWESOME guys .... bought my 1st drone drone there .... bought my MP2 and Goggles from EBay ... goggles were used with the MP until I got the MP2 ... found out that they needed a software update to work with the MP2 ... well guess what ... Cloud City Drones updated my purchased from EBay goggles to my purchased from EBay MP2 .... FOR FREE !!!!! Because I had bought my 1st MP from them ..... NOW THATS a reason for me to not deal with anyone else for anything related to my drones [emoji851]

Maybe you can ask them to contribute some of their spare time to helping members for free here. Now THAT would be awesome. ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31