DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Head tracking Mode: AC orientation indicator loosing track

StanTGM

Reactions
I often fly with the goggles and came across a very annoying problem:

With head tracking on, the crosshair indicator is supposed to show you where the AC is actually heading. That's great - as long as it works.

Unfortunately, after a few head movements to the left and right, the crosshair heading indicator starts to wander off and give false information, impairing my ability to control the AC precisely. After some time it gets so bad that i have to turn my head all the way to the left or right, only to keep the crosshairs in sight.

If unattended, this poses the danger of crabbing sideways (while thinking you still fly straight). The only solution I found sofar is to reset the crosshairs. But that means to do the two finger swipe, than activate and tap the reset icon.

Each time I do that, I loose the total immersion that is for me the main attraction and reason for using the googles.

Is there any known way to improve the precision of the crosshairs indicator (or the accelerometer inside the goggles)?

Last edited:
Reactions: dannyw777
I often fly with the goggles and came across a very annoying problem:

With head tracking on, the crosshair indicator is supposed to show you where the AC is actually heading. That's great - as long as it works.

Unfortunately, after a few head movements to the left and right, the crosshair heading indicator starts to wander off and give false information, impairing my ability to control the AC precisely. After some time it gets so bad that i have to turn my head all the way to the left or right, only to keep the crosshairs in sight.

If unattended, this poses the danger of crabbing sideways (while thinking you still fly straight). The only solution I found sofar is to reset the crosshairs. But that means to do the two finger swipe, than activate and tap the reset icon.

Each time I do that, loose the total immersion that is for me the main attraction and reason for using the googles.

Is there any known way to improve the preciseness of the crosshairs indicator (or the accelerometer inside the goggles)?

This is a bug. The more folks who report this to DJI, the sooner they'll have a fix in the next fw update.

Reactions: dannyw777
Stan r u still having this issue? Its annoying me and i agree that it kills the immersion feeling

Thinking this was a defect talked to DJI they gave me a shipping label to send back..March 19-2020 have not received it back, they said they have now idea when it will be repaired because of Covi-19

I Just recently bought the white goggles and have the same problem. In head tracking mode the cross hairs always end up to the left of the screen with me looking well to the right of the direction of flight. As kind of a joke I thought maybe a swivel chair would solve the problem, better than twisting your neck.

Has anyone tried playing with the head tracking sensitivity adjustment to see what happens. I use the reset feature now, but find I have to reset too frequently.

I started out flying racing style quadcopters (No Navigation Features) from that experience I have learned that an IMU alone drifts it has no sense of direction as far as North South East and West. Its Up Down and Angle sensing is very accurate. I think that a magnetometer would also have to be used in the positioning system as well as an IMU . That way the initial direction you are facing could be recorded for reference and checked against the horizontal position of the goggles to automatically sync the cross hairs, the picture and the direction your head is facing.

In other words, the solution to the problem requires additional hardware that is not in the goggles.

Other issues I have are the fogging problem and lack of room for diopter correction.
This being said I still think they are great. Love em.

Forced circulation of air in the viewing chamber might fix the fogging problem. and the goggles already have a fan for cooling in them.

Having the whole lens being able to be replaced instead of having to fasten another corrective lens on top of it would save room for those of us who need a diopter correction.

I would like to see an updated version with these corrections .
I think it could be done using the current design. The changes would be pretty much invisible.
(to anyone from DJI who might read this HINT, HINT)

I have owned the White Goggles for about six months now and also have also noticed the crosshairs drifting. I decided I didn’t really like that mode so it is not a big deal for me.

I don’t understand your comments on the lack of space for vision correction. You can get inserts for DJI or other sources that press in and don’t interfere at all. My vision correction was a bit trickier due to an astigmatism but I found a company called Rho-lens that will take your regular prescription and make custom lenses. Mine work fantastic.

I guess that depends on the shape of your face and thickness of the lens required. I used the DJI diopters first. Found the focus fixers are better for me but a 5 diopter is pretty thick, they just barely clear my forehead when I get the goggles in optimal position

Yes, Rho-Lens. I have thought about them as I also have astigmatism. Waiting for the opticians to open back up so I can get a fresh prescription. Took me 3 tries to get the right diopter but of course with astigmatism it is not perfect.

Reactions: Camino Ken
Thinking this was a defect talked to DJI they gave me a shipping label to send back..March 19-2020 have not received it back, they said they have now idea when it will be repaired because of Covi-19
I received my goggles back In May. They said nothing was wrong. So I just hit reset and go on with the flight I like the view From goggles but I had to get focus finders for clearer vision.

I guess that depends on the shape of your face and thickness of the lens required. I used the DJI diopters first. Found the focus fixers are better for me but a 5 diopter is pretty thick, they just barely clear my forehead when I get the goggles in optimal position

Yes, Rho-Lens. I have thought about them as I also have astigmatism. Waiting for the opticians to open back up so I can get a fresh prescription. Took me 3 tries to get the right diopter but of course with astigmatism it is not perfect.
I guess I didn’t think about the relative shape of our faces. I agree that just a diopter correction helps somewhat but it wasn’t good enough for me. The Rho-Lens came out nearly perfect, I would highly recommend them.

Reactions: Terry63
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest