DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Heads up for newbie

taroona

Reactions
Hi All, looking to buy my first drone (mavic mini/2). I have a couple of questions regarding freq etc.
from what l understand Australia is in the CE bracket for freqs as opposed to US and FCC which gives greater distance. With the soon to be released mini 2 with ocusync 2 how does that relate to our CE restricted drones that are sold in Australia. from what l have read CE drones are roughly limited to a distance of approx 500 metres with any reliability, so does the ocusync (Extra distance) become a useless extra on our drones. Also do the other extras 4 k etc make the mini 2 the go to drone or would l be better purchasing the mavic mini for what should be a reduced price. Your thoughts would be appreciated
cheers

Reactions: Thomas B
Hi taroona Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
I am not the best person to answer this because I don’t have a Mini but I would assume given the size of the thing think how far you can fly it & still see it rather than how far it can actually fly.
No doubt someone with a Mini will pop in to give advice.

Hi All, looking to buy my first drone (mavic mini/2). I have a couple of questions regarding freq etc.
from what l understand Australia is in the CE bracket for freqs as opposed to US and FCC which gives greater distance. With the soon to be released mini 2 with ocusync 2 how does that relate to our CE restricted drones that are sold in Australia. from what l have read CE drones are roughly limited to a distance of approx 500 metres with any reliability, so does the ocusync (Extra distance) become a useless extra on our drones. Also do the other extras 4 k etc make the mini 2 the go to drone or would l be better purchasing the mavic mini for what should be a reduced price. Your thoughts would be appreciated
cheers

Firstly, welcome to the community. :)

Secondly, I'll be honest, I don't fully understand the CE/FCC thing. But as I understand it, only the US is FCC. This means that my Mavic Air 2 bought in China is presumably not a FCC model. My Air 2 uses the same transmission technology (Ocusync 2.0) that will be installed on the Mini 2. It has achieved around 3km+ range in a fairly urban environment. But it does depend on whether I can keep direct line of sight between my drone and my controller.

Thirdly, I think Australian drone regulations are quite strict, so legally speaking, you won't be able to fly that far away.

Fourthly, I haven't seen any official prices for the Mini 2 in Australia. If I had to guess, I think it will be 899 AUD for the Fly More combo, 100 AUD more than Mini 1 Fly More combo. Personally, I think that the superior 4K camera and wind tolerance is easily worth the price difference. Also, even if you can't take advantage of the superior range of ocusync 2.0 due to legal reasons, it's still a meaningful upgrade for more reliable connection between the drone and the controller.

Fifthly, if you aren't in too much of a rush, you can just wait a few days after the launch of the Mini 2 and check out the reviews that will flood onto YouTube. Confirm that the Mini 2 actually does deliver the improvements promised.

Firstly, welcome to the community. :)

Secondly, I'll be honest, I don't fully understand the CE/FCC thing. But as I understand it, only the US is FCC. This means that my Mavic Air 2 bought in China is presumably not a FCC model. My Air 2 uses the same transmission technology (Ocusync 2.0) that will be installed on the Mini 2. It has achieved around 3km+ range in a fairly urban environment. But it does depend on whether I can keep direct line of sight between my drone and my controller.

Thirdly, I think Australian drone regulations are quite strict, so legally speaking, you won't be able to fly that far away.

Fourthly, I haven't seen any official prices for the Mini 2 in Australia. If I had to guess, I think it will be 899 AUD for the Fly More combo, 100 AUD more than Mini 1 Fly More combo. Personally, I think that the superior 4K camera and wind tolerance is easily worth the price difference. Also, even if you can't take advantage of the superior range of ocusync 2.0 due to legal reasons, it's still a meaningful upgrade for more reliable connection between the drone and the controller.

Fifthly, if you aren't in too much of a rush, you can just wait a few days after the launch of the Mini 2 and check out the reviews that will flood onto YouTube. Confirm that the Mini 2 actually does deliver the improvements promised.
Tks for yr reply Hiendrich1988

Hi taroona Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
I am not the best person to answer this because I don’t have a Mini but I would assume given the size of the thing think how far you can fly it & still see it rather than how far it can actually fly.
No doubt someone with a Mini will pop in to give advice.
Tks

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Welcome from Chicago the Windy City.
The MM 1 does not benefit from the Ocusync system, that is in the Mavic Pro, Phantom 4, Mavic 2. Which means its signal is more prone to interference from high wifi and other interference .Primary role of the MM is to fly as a selfie camera, never designed to fly Long distance. Now the MM2, has a improved camera, and although it does not have the duel band ocusync system .it does have the occssync 2.0 which will give it a range of 6.2 miles. Thats what I read in the latest spics release. So, camera is improved, and now the MM2 has a much better transmission system. So, now I am buying one on Black Friday as well.

Welcome from Chicago the Windy City.
The MM 1 does not benefit from the Ocusync system, that is in the Mavic Pro, Phantom 4, Mavic 2. Which means its signal is more prone to interference from high wifi and other interference .Primary role of the MM is to fly as a selfie camera, never designed to fly Long distance. Now the MM2, has a improved camera, and although it does not have the duel band ocusync system .it does have the occssync 2.0 which will give it a range of 6.2 miles. Thats what I read in the latest spics release. So, camera is improved, and now the MM2 has a much better transmission system. So, now I am buying one on Black Friday as well.
Tks spitfire..guess l line up to for the mini 2, but may be a bit longer wait for it in Australia

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000