DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Heads up on Return to Home Feature!!

If it were 20ft, I could go along with that. But 20M which is roughly 60ft, to me that's too far for RTH action to be different from the norm.

I agree but the OP's 1st post says the distance was 20 feet.
So I learned the hard way yesturday when I could of easily landed as I was 3 ft off the ground right in front of me but I like testing things so I decided to have it return to home and land witch was about 20 ft away from me.
I like testing things before I need to use them in the field or in an emergency. But at least read the entire quick start guide first and if you don't completely understand everything it says read the manual. I spent 5 days of my after work time reading the manual before I felt confident enough to test fly. RTH was my 2nd test and I tried it from close to home and it went without a hitch.
So I have developed a system to learn more features.
(1) read the part of the manual that covers that feature, you may also need to find tutorials on the web.
(2) Plan your flight around the feature you are trying.
(3) If everything goes as planned repeat step 2. If everything does not go as planed repeat from step one.
(4) If stuck on step 3 research on DJI's website or on this form. Finally start a thread on this forum, this is how we learn from each others mistakes.

I know how it works and it's documented. However it's not intuitive and rather complex so my opinion is that it's a bad idea on how it was designed.
I disagree. It's no more a design flaw than a car with ABS Brakes and a car without. You can afford one but not the other, otherwise, why wouldn't you buy the other model. How is that a bad design? Whats the point of having all features on all models? Better obstacle avoidance cost more money. For the price point, there is no other drone with topside sensors, so according to your logic, every drone in the price point is a bad design.

Reactions: vail
I don't think you understand me.
I have no issues with having RTH.
I have no issues with OA (wasn't discussing it at all if that's what you were talking about)
What I have concerns about is how far AC can be before RTH does not behave traditionally: turn, rise, move to HP, descend.

But it's just my opinion that it's confusing. No need to beat me up about it

And that I consider a bad design choice.

Read the manual; watch all the YouTube videos; learn what you are doing; or buy a cheaper drone so you can crash it... IMHO... (blame the drone, cheeezz!)

The first and only issue here was that the OP thought there were obstacle avoidance cameras on the top of their drone. To the OP, I encourage you to read your manual and watch some of the incredibly made starter videos available on YouTube that will help you know how to enjoy and protect your very expensive investment. :)

I've made silly mistakes too, so no need to pile it on. Hope you enjoy safe flights in the future!

So I learned the hard way yesturday when I could of easily landed as I was 3 ft off the ground right in front of me but I like testing things so I decided to have it return to home and land witch was about 20 ft away from me. So I hit the return to home well here's where everything went bad and I mean bad!! I didnt realize the Mavic Air does not have any obstacle cameras on top and there happened to be a huge tree limb hanging over the road it went straight up hit the branch came down went up shreading the branch LOL and I was panicking tried to stop it but was in a bit of a panic and didnt realize it will ask you to confirm you want to stop I kept hitting the red X and it kept hitting the branch until after about 5 times it shut off and fell about 10ft hit the ground lucky for me really didnt even scratch it. In my mind that's kinda of a design flaw!! Yes I was under a tree but what if there was a banner or a bird really think they need to put a obstacle camera going facing up!!
I’m sorry, but reading your description of how it must have looked with you repeatedly pressing the X and it continuing trimming the tree branch sounds kind of fully and I had to laugh (for you). That sounded like a nerve wrecking situation though and I am glad your bird is ok. I couldn’t have been taken more serious saying to look around before you fly than how you just learned it through personal experience. It’s good you had a positive outcome and I imagine you won’t be needing a top sensor any more!

Read the manual; watch all the YouTube videos; learn what you are doing; or buy a cheaper drone so you can crash it... IMHO... (blame the drone, cheeezz!)
Hey, there's no need to attack me, I know what the manual says. That doesn't mean I have to agree with the implementation. There's just too many exceptions to the main rule, and the distances the exceptions apply, in my opinion, are too far out. It's just not intuitive, in my opinion.

If you can remember the exceptions, and the distances that the exceptions apply, or your flying style doesn't have the exceptions come into play, that's fine. Just don't ridicule me because of it.

Reactions: PAW
If you can't read manual then take a class on how to fly. Personally the more stories I see posted about crashed and broken drones because of pilot error the happier I am knowing we have thinned the herd a little more.

Hard but fair.

Reactions: skiptv
I fly M2P with Smart RC and the regular RC.

Has completely stopped using the RTH function, always has STH, Smart Return Home, turned off.

All info about where the drone is is available on the screen, so if LBW starts screaming, there is plenty of time to fly the drone to the place I want to land, which for my part is always where I am.

If you are unsure, press HPS-RC, Home Point Setting Remot Controller, and then RTH, then the drone will fly to the location you are in, but note, stay in the same location where you pressed HPS-RC.

Setting HP to RC can be problematic, and certainly will be if mobile doesn't have GPS.
Go version ending in .25 seems to have a bug. Says my GPS is too weak on my HTC and Tab A.

Unfortunately, this is one of the problems with DJI's drones, the advice you give usually only applies to the unique model of drone and RC you use.

At specific advice, I always put out which drone and RC I use.

Sorry, hard to keep track of all the different forums, not always people post in the right forums.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbee