DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

headtracking caused drone to spin in circles. Anyone also seen this?

tjcooper

Reactions
took my MP out for a quick spin with Goggles on....which I have done many times. Wind was high but everything was in control. At 100 feet up I changed over to Headset Gimbal Control. Things were fine but then a 2 bladed helicopter come on the scene and I had to take off Goggles to be sure he was not flying in my space. I took the Goggles off quickly and set them on the ground assuming I would quickly put them back on once I had real estate coordination. I looked up and saw the MP up 100 feet and just rotating in circles. It was stable but just spinning around in about 1 sec per revolution.

I assume it was from putting the Goggles down. I lifted them up to my head hoping their orientation would stop the spin. Nothing happened. I dropped in altitude so I could see it better. Not safe to fly it back with the sticks. Not sure if RTH would work either. So I put the Goggles back down and powered them off. That caused the spinning to stop. I got the right nose orientation and then flew the unit home and landed.

Has anyone else seen this happen? Is there a better way to tell MP to stop spinning?
tjcooper

You described the trouble and danger of goggles perfectly.

Reactions: Irish-apple
took my MP out for a quick spin with Goggles on....which I have done many times. Wind was high but everything was in control. At 100 feet up I changed over to Headset Gimbal Control. Things were fine but then a 2 bladed helicopter come on the scene and I had to take off Goggles to be sure he was not flying in my space. I took the Goggles off quickly and set them on the ground assuming I would quickly put them back on once I had real estate coordination. I looked up and saw the MP up 100 feet and just rotating in circles. It was stable but just spinning around in about 1 sec per revolution.

I assume it was from putting the Goggles down. I lifted them up to my head hoping their orientation would stop the spin. Nothing happened. I dropped in altitude so I could see it better. Not safe to fly it back with the sticks. Not sure if RTH would work either. So I put the Goggles back down and powered them off. That caused the spinning to stop. I got the right nose orientation and then flew the unit home and landed.

Has anyone else seen this happen? Is there a better way to tell MP to stop spinning?
tjcooper
I have never used the DJI goggles, but I had the same thing happen in Litchi VR head tracking mode.
With Litchi, when your turn your head, the Mavic will continue to rotate in that direction until you turn your head exactly back to its original heading. Then the Mavic will again fly straight.
I don’t know how the DJI goggles work, but it may be the same thing. When you set them down, they were pointed on a different heading than straight, thus the rotation.

I have never used the DJI goggles, but I had the same thing happen in Litchi VR head tracking mode.
With Litchi, when your turn your head, the Mavic will continue to rotate in that direction until you turn your head exactly back to its original heading. Then the Mavic will again fly straight.
I don’t know how the DJI goggles work, but it may be the same thing. When you set them down, they were pointed on a different heading than straight, thus the rotation.

The DJI goggles have 2 head tracking modes, and one of them works exactly as you have described and is undoubtedly the mode the OP was in during his flight.

You were in Headtracking Flight mode, not in Headtracking Gimbal mode. Goggles orientation then controls flight direction, so you absolutely never want to remove them without first exiting that mode.

2 mistakes in a row, if not 3.

Reactions: Clinton1
The DJI goggles have 2 head tracking modes, and one of them works exactly as you have described and is undoubtedly the mode the OP was in during his flight.
I thought that might be it, took me forever to get the hang of controlling yaw that way. I was pretty dizzy for a while;)

was pretty sure I was in Gimbal mode. It is the 3rd menu on the goggles.
Even if I was in Head tracking flight mode, when they went back on they should have stopped spinning. Not the case.
What I am looking for here is a solution when problem happens. Tried PAUSE again and that did not work on next test.
Any ideas on what shuts down goggle operation? Aside from powering them down?
Ted Cooper

UPDATE: the Gimbal Mode did create the problem in a second test....and I did have a spotter when I ran second test.
But the big question is: how to turn off that mode when you only have the RC and connected cell phone viewer to use?

QUESTION: is there a sequence you can program into the two programmable buttons on RC so that I can go into Head tracking Gimbal mode and how to turn it off? I assume that whatever would turn on Head Tracking Gimbal mode would be a toggle sequence so that hitting it a second time would turn it off.
tjcooper

I had the same problem. You need to calibrate the goggles' IMU. Tools-->Settings-->IMU Calibration

tjcooper

I had the same problem. You need to calibrate the goggles' IMU. Tools-->Settings-->IMU Calibration

Welcome to the FORUM and thank you for your input. Just keep in mind this thread is now over 3 years old :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3