DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Heartbreaking crash! And some good news...

I consider tracker as an important device to keep track on our drone i have one attached on my drone.
I can see a much wider application for this device, I know these trackers are used extensively in maritime use etc. It also occurred to me that they would be a great alert system should one be injured on horseback or on a bike etc out on the property where it could take a lot of time to find them..mater of life or death!

Update: I finally had time to sit down with the damaged bird again to see what I could do. I had cleaned most of the mud from her shortly after the crash, including disassembling the motors to get all the mud out. But the gimbal area was still packed with clay, so I started there. After removing the gimbal assembly I slowly chipped the dried clay from it with a tiny screwdriver. Once I had removed the bulk of it I wiped it down with baby wipes to remove the rest. The gimbal and camera seem remarkably undamaged except for the ribbon cable which was severed.

One of the front arms had it's shoulder popped out of socket, but with some firm pressure and a prying motion I was able to pop it back in. I had removed the bottom cover to remove mud, so I reassembled the cover using new heat sync thermal paste. Both front landing legs were broken, so I removed them.

So I've ordered two new front landing legs, and a ribbon cable for the gimbal. I think that's the only physical damage I can find!

My hope is that once reassembled, everything will work. All mud and clay was removed except for a tiny bit that had worked it's way through the protective screen on one of the ultrasonic sensors. I'm hoping it still works like that, because there appears to be no way to replace just the sensor, and no way to clean under the screen.

I'll update again after the parts arrive, and I get her back together!

Use distilled water and let it dry for a couple days... Any electronic device can be cleaned with distilled water and let dry, unpowered, and it will be perfectly fine.
Many, many years in an Electronic Standards lab taught me that.

Reactions: macoman and Turn11
Use distilled water and let it dry for a couple days... Any electronic device can be cleaned with distilled water and let dry, unpowered, and it will be perfectly fine.
Many, many years in an Electronic Standards lab taught me that.
Interesting. I might give that a try. The dirt that got in is mostly clay, which would break down and become suspended in water and the run back out. Maybe a syringe with a small needle could create a targeted stream with some velocity.

Reactions: Turn11

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU