DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Heartbreaking crash! And some good news...

These problems do really exist to us drone flyers not to denied but from one of the problem stated "GPS Lost" what is your possible remedy in that kind of situation?
GPS lost occurred when the drone is not flying in a open space or field. If you fly your drone inside of your house or around very tall trees, buildings, electrical wires, taking off from the hood of your car, cement, etc. Guess what will happen? Common sense is what people need. Before your take your drone to fly to a particular place, ask yourself if it's safe to fly here? It is a open field without any metal or cement around?

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBri
GPS lost occurred when the drone is not flying in a open space or field. If you fly your drone inside of your house or around very tall trees, buildings, electrical wires, taking off from the hood of your car, cement, etc. Guess what will happen? Common sense is what people need. Before your take your drone to fly to a particular place, ask yourself if it's safe to fly here? It is a open field without any metal or cement around?

There are many factors that can affect

Re Sport Mode, I have found it is the only way out when returning Home. Especially when flying directly into a late afternoon or early morning sun. The Optical sensors do not like it and stall the aircraft. Engaging Sport mode, I believe disengages optical sensors, how ever when you engage the other motion you need to re- engage RTH .

Re Sport Mode, I have found it is the only way out when returning Home. Especially when flying directly into a late afternoon or early morning sun. The Optical sensors do not like it and stall the aircraft. Engaging Sport mode, I believe disengages optical sensors, how ever when you engage the other motion you need to re- engage RTH .

Is this base on what you have experience friend?

IMHO IF you are running low on battery, Sport Mode is the last thing you want. It uses more battery a lot faster.
Better you learn how turn off obstacle avoidance if flying into the sun.

Reactions: AgPhotoWings
I spent half a day trekking the neighbors paddocks finding my disabled bird

Glad you were able to recover your bird.
There are several options that could have helped. Everyone thinks (myself included) when they takeoff that nothing will go wrong. I am from the old school that thinks "if you can handle the wort case then everything else is a piece of cake".
When you took off you knew nothing would go wrong, regardless of what happened something went wrong.
I fly with a GPS tracker, I personally use a Marco Polo. It is the only one that works without cellular service. IMHO that covers all the bases.

Absolutely! I spent half a day trekking the neighbors paddocks finding my disabled bird, after trying to get her home , flying into the sunset.

Seriously? it looks like you have a problem for the tracking of your drone try to invest.

There are several options that could have helped. Everyone thinks (myself included) when they takeoff that nothing will go wrong. I am from the old school that thinks "if you can handle the wort case then everything else is a piece of cake".
When you took off you knew nothing would go wrong, regardless of what happened something went wrong.
I fly with a GPS tracker, I personally use a Marco Polo. It is the only one that works without cellular service. IMHO that covers all the bases.
I admit it was an off day... I did find it with the DJI GPS system though you have obviously not uncounted the OZ outback...Google are way out of wack around here. Half a day was probably an exaggeration, Though very rugged country.....kept telling myself ....people pay money for this type of experience. I found as I progressed the system became more attuned....quite away from where I originally assessed it to be. Google Maps are hopeless around here they have stock routs that haven't been used in 100 years down as designated roads.

you have obviously not uncounted the OZ outback
LOL, I'll make you a deal. You come over and experience some of the Western desert and mountains where only a well prepared jeep will have to work hard. NO cellular at all. Can't use google for anything.
You show me your area and we can compare notes over a pint or two fingers in a short glass of Scotch.
Marco Polo is self contained and doesn't use anything but it's own components. if the bird doesn't go down exactly where Go 4 says the last position then it is worthless except for a starting point
Again, IMHO

I went through Tucson Arizona 1975. Came out of my Motel room around 9am to find a Cassette Tape that I had left on the dash had Started to buckle and melt in the heat.
I searched "Marco Polo" found all manner of subjects ...no GPS type software???
This is a youtube clip I did, Almost maiden voyage , last Christmas, showing off to visitors, rather bold I thought, beginners luck or 'Dutch Courage" Nice and lush compared to Arizona, but the Mavic went down in that scrubby area, I thought...though she managed to find a nice clear spot to land and was good as gold.

IMHO IF you are running low on battery, Sport Mode is the last thing you want. It uses more battery a lot faster.
Better you learn how turn off obstacle avoidance if flying into the sun.
I do tend to use the Goggles, as I get a better sense of what the mavic is doing, except when landing, rather hard to know what is going on around you, so I take them off. I can see the logic in turning off the optical sensors, though can't find a way with the goggles, I guess if it is not possible I should revert to the remote monitor.

OP can you post a pictures of the damage to your bird and the props.

From the video the tracking device seems a little cumbersome for the wee Mavic??

Not at all, .8 oz is a pimple on an elephant's back side. You can use a mount that @msinger makes and attaches to a back arm or Velcro.
Marco Polo tag.jpg

Here is a picture of it mounted with Msinger's 3D printed mounting
20180902_161506_001_01.jpg

Here is a picture of it mounted with velcro
20180902_153627.jpg

Reactions: AgPhotoWings
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members