DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Height" help

Flash Grundelore

Reactions
I live on the side of a steep mountain just below the top.
If I set my geolocation and RTH info out in my driveway and then fly out off the side of the mountain where the ground drops away [like 150' drop in 300'], how does the Mini sense it's "height"?

If I flew out even a 1/4 mile it would actually be at about 1500'+ relative to real ground level...
Similarly, if I go "back" over the mountain the ground is going to be rising steadily... My RTH height [of say 125' driveway relative] is going to take it right into the tree canopy.

how does the Mini sense it's "height"?
It does not sense it. The height is relative to the take off point, it will not reassess it, if you go over a cliff. Similar for the RTH, the altitude is relative to the take off point.

It does not sense it. The height is relative to the take off point, it will not reassess it, if you go over a cliff. Similar for the RTH, the altitude is relative to the take off point.

I am just going to add to netsonic's post in that the height is relative to the take off spot or home point - if you are part way thru a flight and land at another location (other than the initial recorded home point) mid flight, your drone height will then revert to that new spot you landed at - I know this as I tried it the other day - I have two big fields - took off from the first one and landed on my drone landing strip in my next field up the mountain - when I took off it asked me if I wanted to update my new home point and I told it "no" but at the same time I noticed the height went from 38 meters to 0 - food for thought !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gindra and netsonic

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002